Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

It depends on the speakers tbh mate.

I had a set of lower end tannoy’s and they were unbelievable value for money, sound well beyond what they cost. That said they were my 21st birthday present so we’re going back almost 😭 18 years 😭 since I was in that market. I don’t know a whole host about that level of their stuff now.

If you’re playing with the really big boys and it’s the Tannoy Heritage speakers then don’t think, just do it, those things are unbelievable, hella pricy, but wow factor too. Their Turnbury is the speaker of buy if I came into some serious money.
Turnburys will me my next and final move speaker wise. If I ever do. The Lintons are so good I’m in no rush at all.

Turnburys will me my next and final move speaker wise. If I ever do. The Lintons are so good I’m in no rush at all.

Oh likewise the Linton’s have the capability to keep me happy for a very long time and I I am, all in all, reasonably happy with my set up right now, I’m not actively looking to change anything. That said, surprise inheritance or decent winnings and it would be Turnbury ahoy!

It depends on the speakers tbh mate.

I had a set of lower end tannoy’s and they were unbelievable value for money, sound well beyond what they cost. That said they were my 21st birthday present so we’re going back almost 😭 18 years 😭 since I was in that market. I don’t know a whole host about that level of their stuff now.

If you’re playing with the really big boys and it’s the Tannoy Heritage speakers then don’t think, just do it, those things are unbelievable, hella pricy, but wow factor too. Their Turnbury is the speaker I would buy if I came into some serious money.
Ok gotcha!

I was looking at the Platinum F6. Love the modern and stylish look of them👌

PLATINUM_F6_-_2_Way_Floorstanding_front_burgundy_Vinyl_Sound_1600x.png

I did and still like them, I just to get this itch every year at this time. New year new gear ⚙ 🤷‍♂️

Hahaha! If your speakers are already great and the budget only covers a sideways or downwards move maybe scratch a different itch that makes the whole system sound better?

Did you ever get an external phono stage? I know you were looking when you got the table and those speakers. Often the most overlooked and underrated upgrade in the system, can transform your sound.

Would also allow you to experiment with better/different sounding MM or even MC cartridges next time you get an itch that doesn’t need special creams on prescription…

Hahaha! If your speakers are already great and the budget only covers a sideways or downwards move maybe scratch a different itch that makes the whole system sound better?

Did you ever get an external phono stage? I know you were looking when you got the table and those speakers. Often the most overlooked and underrated upgrade in the system, can transform your sound.

Would also allow you to experiment with better/different sounding MM or even MC cartridges next time you get an itch that doesn’t need special creams on prescription…
No I never did. Couldn't settle on one at the time

No I never did. Couldn't settle on one at the time

Oh god DEFINITELY go with a stage. It'll completely change how those speakers sound.

I agree.

I seem to remember at the time that you were kind of falling between options budget wise and running up against dealers not stocking certain options?

You should take a look at the Darlington Labs as a company, I don’t think they were on the forum radar last time you were looking. Their top of the range MP7 is really well priced for what it is based on reports and experiences I’ve heard on here. Although it’s an MM stage, if you ever get the MC itch you could, at that time, add their soon to be released SU7 to it and it would do MC cartridges really nicely too.

I agree.

I seem to remember at the time that you were kind of falling between options budget wise and running up against dealers not stocking certain options?

You should take a look at the Darlington Labs as a company, I don’t think they were on the forum radar last time you were looking. Their top of the range MP7 is really well priced for what it is based on reports and experiences I’ve heard on here. Although it’s an MM stage, if you ever get the MC itch you could, at that time, add their soon to be released SU7 to it and it would do MC cartridges really nicely too.

What do they even look like? All I see is a circuitry board 😄

What do they even look like? All I see is a circuitry board 😄

They’re very proud of their electronics! They’re very much built around their particular way of designing a phono stage, there are pages and pages of info on it in that site!

This is the product page. It’s a pretty standard little box with a faceplate, nothing outrageous in the stunning or atrocious camps. It’s just an understated box that does a job really well.

If you scroll through the last two images are of the front. If you e-mail them, as you will have to do for shipping internationally anyway, you can also get a black front plate on special request if that suits you better.

They’re very proud of their electronics! They’re very much built around their particular way of designing a phono stage, there are pages and pages of info on it in that site!

This is the product page. It’s a pretty standard little box with a faceplate, nothing outrageous in the stunning or atrocious camps. It’s just an understated box that does a job really well.

If you scroll through the last two images are of the front. If you e-mail them, as you will have to do for shipping internationally anyway, you can also get a black front plate on special request if that suits you better.

@dansomeone has an MP7 as well so if you ask him nicely he might share a picture and give you his impressions of it!

Maybe think about Fyne Audio as well? Ex Tannoy staff set up on their own. Haven't heard, but they have an excellent reputation.

Yes indeed. There's a guy in town that carries the brand and specifically has the F501 on display in his listening room. I've yet to audition them but plan to in the near future when it is safe to so.

Hey guys roughly how many db boost does 30 extra watts of power from an AVR provide? It's not much from what I recall? Like 3 db or something around there? Roughly..

Hey guys roughly how many db boost does 30 extra watts of power from an AVR provide? It's not much from what I recall? Like 3 db or something around there? Roughly..
How much power are you starting with? Like 100 watts to 130? Is that the question?

Remember that for the human ear to perceive something as twice as loud, it takes a factor of 10. 10 watts will sound twice as loud as 1. 100 watts will seem twice as loud as 10.

In most situations with speakers of average sensitivity, a 30 watt difference in power will be imperceptible. Even going from 30 to 60 watts. Most home listening is done at under a watt.

Back