Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

There have been a few posts here linking to external reviews or videos about it, but has anyone actually heard the Leak Stereo 130? I am incredibly attracted to the look of it. I may be replacing my vintage Nikko receiver with a new integrated and would miss the wood if it were gone—most modern audio equipment is very boring aesthetically to me—but don't want to buy based on looks alone, obviously. (Also because it's quite a bit more expensive than the others I've been looking into: the Audiolab 6000A and, on the lower end, the NAD 316 to power a future set of Wharfedale Lintons.) I know a few of you have one of those amps with those speakers, so I'm mainly inquiring about the Leak, but any feedback is helpful. Any experience?

The reviews have seemed positive, but not glowing and it is a looker. It had more than enough oomph to power the Linton’s too. From what I gather it’s a very similar amp to the Quad Vena (not surprising as IAG are the group behind Quad, Leak, Audiolab annnnd Wharfedale). I remember them getting a bit of talk a while back because of their looks but I equally don’t think anyone actually took the plunge.

Ed reviewed it and it’s sister CD player a little while back

Nope sorry can't help you there but what I do know is that the Stereo 130 apparently has synergy with Wharfedale, specifically the Denton 85 speakers, so many it pairs perfectly with the Linton too 🤷‍♂️

Not hugely surprised at that as it’s the same company, although I suppose that isn’t always a given!

I didn't realize LEAK fell under the same umbrella as Wharfedale so that would indeed make sense.

Yeah IAG own a lot of the old British hifi brands. While there are different designers and philosophies with each brand there will be a degree of commonality there too with things like software and certain parts.

The reviews have seemed positive, but not glowing and it is a looker. It had more than enough oomph to power the Linton’s too. From what I gather it’s a very similar amp to the Quad Vena (not surprising as IAG are the group behind Quad, Leak, Audiolab annnnd Wharfedale). I remember them getting a bit of talk a while back because of their looks but I equally don’t think anyone actually took the plunge.

Yeah, that was the main takeaway I was seeing, as well. Compared with the seemingly universally glowing reviews of the Audiolab, not sure it would be worth the price difference for some extra walnut.

Yeah, that was the main takeaway I was seeing, as well. Compared with the seemingly universally glowing reviews of the Audiolab, not sure it would be worth the price difference for some extra walnut.
Having auditioned the Audiolab 6000A,
I personally would not fork out the price difference on wood aesthetics alone. The 6000A is a freaking powerful piece of equipment which gives you ample detail and a great sense of clarity. It's clean and articulate, and punches well above it's price point.

Last edited:
So… silly question about this thing, if later on down the line I wanted to add my own preamp in, would it be as simple as removing the cables from the amp’s phono stage and into one of the aux ports?

So… silly question about this thing, if later on down the line I wanted to add my own preamp in, would it be as simple as removing the cables from the amp’s phono stage and into one of the aux ports?
You didn’t think we’d recommend something where you couldn’t add more gear later, did you? 😉

Those Leaks are quite the stunner from a look perspective. May have made my consideration list.

Back