Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

FYI, in case anyone else on this thread uses a Grace IRDT-200. It (was) a great way to listen to internet radio (largely my favorite jazz stations) through my home stereo setup.

Both of mine suddenly have issues and I called the company who claimed that "their partner" who made them and managed the servers for them went bankrupt last year. As such, the servers are slowly being shut down, making the audio equipment useless.

Grace does make a newer model that can plug into your stereo: Grace Link

They're offering people like me who suddenly have a useless radio a 35% discount, but this product is out of stock and they put me on a waitlist. This seems like a great way for the company to extract money from its previous customers (the Grace Link costs $179). Very frustrating.

The reason I write this is (1) To spread the word. There are still many listings on Ebay for these used IRDT200 models; and (2) Does anyone have recommendations for a Internet Radio Tuner to plug into my receiver that's not made by Grace?

Thanks in advance.

I don’t think you need a specific tuner to do it. I’ve always found internet radio easiest using a standard streaming box (at the cheapest end an apple airport express & AirPlay or Google chromecast audio & chromecast) and using the tunein radio app on my phone to AirPlay or cast it to the box.

Last edited:
FYI, in case anyone else on this thread uses a Grace IRDT-200. It (was) a great way to listen to internet radio (largely my favorite jazz stations) through my home stereo setup.

Both of mine suddenly have issues and I called the company who claimed that "their partner" who made them and managed the servers for them went bankrupt last year. As such, the servers are slowly being shut down, making the audio equipment useless.

Grace does make a newer model that can plug into your stereo: Grace Link

They're offering people like me who suddenly have a useless radio a 35% discount, but this product is out of stock and they put me on a waitlist. This seems like a great way for the company to extract money from its previous customers (the Grace Link costs $179). Very frustrating.

The reason I write this is (1) To spread the word. There are still many listings on Ebay for these used IRDT200 models; and (2) Does anyone have recommendations for a Internet Radio Tuner to plug into my receiver that's not made by Grace?

Thanks in advance.
I hope 89.3 KUVO is on your internet jazz radio list. KUVo_Org for further info. Public radio at its best. Pledge drive time right now but ordinarily music flows 24/7 with a great mix of jazz of all sorts, R&B, blues, etc. Check it out!

I hope 89.3 KUVO is on your internet jazz radio list. KUVo_Org for further info. Public radio at its best. Pledge drive time right now but ordinarily music flows 24/7 with a great mix of jazz of all sorts, R&B, blues, etc. Check it out!
91.1 Toronto as well is pretty great, although I dont get to listen much anymore with the rest of my collection growing.

Last edited:
Not sure if this is the right place to post, and if not, can someone direct me in the right direction? I’m looking at upgrading my turntable. I currently have a U-Turn Orbit with an Ortofon 2M Red. I really like the look of the Fluance RT-85 and the Pro-Ject Beatles turntables they released. As for the ability to upgrade, I’m not so dead set on having that option. I have a small space, so an audiophile setup isn’t in the equation anytime soon. All I have is my turntable and Kanto YU-4 bookshelf speakers. What would be my best course of action at this point?

Not sure if this is the right place to post, and if not, can someone direct me in the right direction? I’m looking at upgrading my turntable. I currently have a U-Turn Orbit with an Ortofon 2M Red. I really like the look of the Fluance RT-85 and the Pro-Ject Beatles turntables they released. As for the ability to upgrade, I’m not so dead set on having that option. I have a small space, so an audiophile setup isn’t in the equation anytime soon. All I have is my turntable and Kanto YU-4 bookshelf speakers. What would be my best course of action at this point?
Fluance is a great option. It wouldn't limit you upgrading other parts when you DO finally decide to change some other parts. Someone else can comment on the Pro-ject. also the PLX-1000 is well regarded here.

Fluance is a great option. It wouldn't limit you upgrading other parts when you DO finally decide to change some other parts. Someone else can comment on the Pro-ject. also the PLX-1000 is well regarded here.
Would this be a worthwhile investment? I know I could just change to a 2M blue on my current table, but I feel I could sell my table now and pay for the blue and only be out around $250 for a new Fluance.

I don’t think you need a specific tuner to do it. I’ve always found internet radio easiest using a standard streaming box (at the cheapest end an apple airport express & AirPlay or Google chromecast audio & chromecast) and using the tunein radio app on my phone to AirPlay or cast it to the box.
Not sure if there's an app for this, but this website is also rad for radio listening. could always airplay/cast it too!

It's kinda fun to just go to random places on the map and listen in. @mingerton

Would this be a worthwhile investment? I know I could just change to a 2M blue on my current table, but I feel I could sell my table now and pay for the blue and only be out around $250 for a new Fluance.
I think so. But, if Blue or something equivalent is all you ever want then that's fine. Something like the fluance opens the door for you to get much better carts in the future. I.e. you wouldn't be constrained by your turntables ability if you ever did upgrade other parts.

I would upgrade the cart and look at a phono preamp/speaker upgrade first. I don't know if the Fluance would be enough of an upgrade over the uTurn to justify the outlay, particularly given the rest of the setup. I'm running a Grado Gold 3 on my uturn and it sounds great. I've looked into it and decided, for me at least, that it wasn't until the PLX level that an upgrade makes sense. I'm currently saving and shooting for a "forever" table as my upgrade path.

I would upgrade the cart and look at a phono preamp/speaker upgrade first. I don't know if the Fluance would be enough of an upgrade over the uTurn to justify the outlay, particularly given the rest of the setup. I'm running a Grado Gold 3 on my uturn and it sounds great. I've looked into it and decided, for me at least, that it wasn't until the PLX level that an upgrade makes sense. I'm currently saving and shooting for a "forever" table as my upgrade path.
I would be curious as to why. They both should be able to track similarly.

I think this is a smart move too. Uturn to Fluance is a smallish upgrade and not sure it will jump the sound quality up as much as a separate phono/preamp stage and new cartridge might.

I agree with the crowd. If it was me I’d upgrade the stylus right now, it’s a huge jump to the blue from the red. Also a bit of a tip, ortofons are cheaper in Europe. You can get the stylus for £108 ($150) and swap it out on the same cartridge because red and blue share a cartridge body.

They’re also really reasonable on the shipping cost but that does mean it isn’t rapid.

Beyond that I think your table is currently the strongest part of your system so if it was me spending the money I’d go for passive speakers and an amplifier first, external phono stage second and then upgrade the table last. I’d probably also want to be going beyond the fluance too for an upgrade. With the project Beatles tables they did a lot across a lot their models. So it really depends which one. Some would be a sideways step, some would be a minor upgrade like the fluance and some would be a really nice upgrade.

Last edited:
I would be curious as to why. They both should be able to track similarly.
The Fluance just isn't a huge upgrade on the uTurn. Everything I've read about the PLX is that it is a step above both and gets you into the realm of the next level of table. Turntables can be a big outlay and I think bang for the buck is important on upgrades.

If I was looking at both new, I'd do the Fluance over the uTurn, but they're in the same space. Bang for the buck would be better to upgrade the cart (the 2m Red isn't that great in my opinion), add an amp/preamp, and upgrade the speakers. Then I'd come around to the turntable if the system is still wanting for something.

Hello all, I was hoping for some advice regarding a system upgrade. I’ve just sold off a bunch of records and have around $1,000 to spend. Currently I have;
Teac TN 300
Onkyo A-9010
Gale speakers (super old bookshelf speakers)

And suggestions much appreciated, wasn’t sure whether to split between speakers and a phono preamp. Or just speakers with a view to get a preamp in the future.

Hello all, I was hoping for some advice regarding a system upgrade. I’ve just sold off a bunch of records and have around $1,000 to spend. Currently I have;
Teac TN 300
Onkyo A-9010
Gale speakers (super old bookshelf speakers)

And suggestions much appreciated, wasn’t sure whether to split between speakers and a phono preamp. Or just speakers with a view to get a preamp in the future.

You could definitely do both and get a jump.

I’d look at a Darlington Labs MM6 for a preamp

For bookshelves you could look at
Elac Debut B6.2
Wharfedale Denton 80 Wharfedale - Denton 80th Anniversary Bookshelf Speakers (Pr) | Shop Music Direct

Back