Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

I wish mine would get here. Was supposed to be here yesterday, but this freaking snow and ice storm appears the USPS just stopped delivering. Informed delivery says something I've never seen, "Delivery attempted, no access to delivery location". I'm guessing they just didn't try, because my neighbors had already cleared the walk and salted and I was home. Getting a little edgy as I ordered about 3 weeks ago. I guess next week will have some great listening time.
My tubes were supposed to be here today, I got the dreded..........."Your package will be arriving later than expected..." :(

That graph was gnarly. What was the problem exactly, and what was the fix?
Basically I decided that as much as I love the analytical sound, there was a brightness I wanted to eliminate in my system and I felt that the target curve I was using while technically "accurate" was minimising the low end too much and was just too bright in the trebles. So I bumped it up under 200HZ by about 2 db and rolled it off over 10,000 HZ by about 2 db. Just served to add that fuller low end heft while also just chilling out the high end and getting rid of that slightly sibilant highs that can creep in on really bright pressings. It's a bit of a soft blanket solution and I'm sure I'll still mess with it a bit, but in the long run I think this serves me better across all types of mastering whereas before it was fantastic for the really high end pressings but could get too harsh with stuff that wasn't in the AP/Mofi/KPG sphere...

Last edited:
What does this graph mean? What ultimate vinyl nerd thing did you just do and more importantly, is this something my fiancé will judge me for if I try it for myself
It's my room correction software. See the above post for a slightly better explanation.

But here's the dirty secret, it's a digital process. So my system is not AAA.

What does this graph mean? What ultimate vinyl nerd thing did you just do and more importantly, is this something my fiancé will judge me for if I try it for myself
Oh also... yes she will judge the fuck out of you. My wife has literally sprained her eyeballs due to the amount of times she's rolled them at me. It's actually impressive she's not blind yet....

DISCLAIMER - she has not sprained her eyeballs, that's dumb

Basically I decided that as much as I love the analytical sound, there was a brightness I wanted to eliminate in my system and I felt that the target curve I was using while technically "accurate" was minimising the low end too much and was just too bright in the trebles. So I bumped it up under 200HZ by about 2 db and rolled it off over 10,000 HZ by about 2 db. Just served to add that fuller low end heft while also just chilling out the high end and getting rid of that slightly sibilant highs that can creep in on really bright pressings. It's a bit of a soft blanket solution and I'm sure I'll still mess with it a bit, but in the long run I think this serves me better across all types of mastering whereas before it was fantastic for the really high end pressings but could get too harsh with stuff that wasn't in the AP/Mofi/KPG sphere...
Totally flat response is deeply unsatisfying for music, imo.

I let my fiancé read this aloud and she understood exactly nothing and has classified us all as a “cliché”

☹️☹️☹️

I let my fiancé read this aloud and she understood exactly nothing and has classified us all as a “cliché”

☹️☹️☹️
Okay, of all the stuff I've written on this forum, of everything... you decided to let her read THAT post? I mean I wanted to kick my OWN ass writing that... that's just setting us all up for failure bro! WTF?! There are no winners in this scenario...

Last edited:
I think the Readers Digest condensed version is you equalized your Ortofon to sound like a Grado. 😉

Okay, of all the stuff I've written on this forum, of everything... you decided to let her read THAT post? I mean I wanted to kick my OWN ass writing that... that's just setting us all up for failure bro! WTF?! There are no winners in this scenario...
My take away is that you're a cliche? I sneak around doing these kind of details on things that are my hobbies. I still get those looks.

I have a very soft spot for Duals. One difference with the 1228 is that the platter has a smaller diameter, 10+ inches vs 12 inches with the 1229 (and 1219); this leads to these platters having different weights as well, and I believe the larger/heavier platter is preferable. Here's a link to a great reference site for Dual turntables: Turntable Index Page It provides specs for just about every turntables Dual has manufactured over the years.

Having said all that, if the 1228 is in good shape and functioning well, I'd say it's a steal at $120, especially if it has a dust cover. :D You could slip it into your second setup and I'm guessing it would be an improvement. (Or you could put it upstairs and move the 1229 into your more dedicated listening space.)

Oh, and another nice thing about a good Dual turntable is that it will handle very good cartridges, meaning that the Duals are capable of rising to the quality of the carts you put on them. If you saved a good portion of your $500 going with a Dual, you could invest in a solid cartridge with what's left. I've used several Shure cartridges on my Dual 1219, the best being a V15 Type IV with Jico SAS stylus (current). I also have used a Denon DL 103R. The Dual has handled each of them very well.
So the guy had a 1219 and a 1249 in very good shape. I had a couple cheap speakers that I purchased from him a couple years back that weren’t in use, so I swapped the speakers for both tables and a at120e cart for $200. I figure now I have a backup for whenever I decide to send one in to fixmydual.

Back