Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

Who’s got Elac Debut 6.2s here? My buddy just bought a pair and doesn’t know what sort of speaker cable to use. I just told him your standard 16 gauge would probably be fine. I’m assuming using bare wire connected to the post would be fine but I’m not 100% sure. He’s got a basic setup, a new Audio Technica TT, a used newish Onkyo TX-8211 receiver that he got free and now Elac speakers. The speaker cable run isn’t going to be more than 10’ or so.
I've used these with my ELACs when I had them, they're a good cable at a great price.
Amazon product ASIN B00WISAHYG

Not sure if this is the right thread to post this, but I was able to upgrade my system and have everything running in less than a week thanks to all you lovely people. I just need to break them in but everything is in working order! Also, I will have to figure out whether or not bi wiring is something that I should consider for the speakers -- I'll stick to the current configuration for now though.

Current setup:
Grado Prestige Gold3 (previously Ortofon 2M Blue) --> U-Turn Orbit Custom --> Musical Fidelity LX-LPS --> NAD C 316BEE v2 (new) ---> KEF R100s (new).

141688242_686830591995907_6379744829388375347_n.jpg142070170_4213868898646665_6155446922132431852_n.jpg

PS: ignore the speaker wire on the left -- I'll fix that at some point :ROFLMAO:

Not sure if this is the right thread to post this, but I was able to upgrade my system and have everything running in less than a week thanks to all you lovely people. I just need to break them in but everything is in working order! Also, I will have to figure out whether or not bi wiring is something that I should consider for the speakers -- I'll stick to the current configuration for now though.

Current setup:
Grado Prestige Gold3 (previously Ortofon 2M Blue) --> U-Turn Orbit Custom --> Musical Fidelity LX-LPS --> NAD C 316BEE v2 (new) ---> KEF R100s (new).

View attachment 85462View attachment 85463

PS: ignore the speaker wire on the left -- I'll fix that at some point :ROFLMAO:
Very nice, Gratz!!

I honestly wouldn't worry about bi-wiring, I don't think you'll see any huge benefit with your current set up.

Very nice, Gratz!!

I honestly wouldn't worry about bi-wiring, I don't think you'll see any huge benefit with your current set up.

Thanks! And yeah, probably not unless I upgrade yet again. That's not happening anytime soon though 😭

I'm really digging it though. Seriously. I can't always listen with the volume turned up and the detail still comes through at low volumes. Can't complain and definitely worth the money!

Who’s got Elac Debut 6.2s here? My buddy just bought a pair and doesn’t know what sort of speaker cable to use. I just told him your standard 16 gauge would probably be fine. I’m assuming using bare wire connected to the post would be fine but I’m not 100% sure. He’s got a basic setup, a new Audio Technica TT, a used newish Onkyo TX-8211 receiver that he got free and now Elac speakers. The speaker cable run isn’t going to be more than 10’ or so.
If he wants to be sure they'll match with Elac speakers and are sensibly priced...

Thanks! And yeah, probably not unless I upgrade yet again. That's not happening anytime soon though 😭

I'm really digging it though. Seriously. I can't always listen with the volume turned up and the detail still comes through at low volumes. Can't complain and definitely worth the money!
Absolutely nothing wrong with your setup/gear my friend, and just keep in mind we all start somewhere and you have nothing but time ;)

IMG_3510B.jpg

Absolutely nothing wrong with your setup/gear my friend, and just keep in mind we all start somewhere and you have nothing but time ;)

View attachment 85465

Agreed! It was nice having disposable income for a while, but with grad school it's harder to save up money (unless I work like crazy). I'm definitely content with my current set up, but I'm gonna start saving up for a nicer turntable. I should be able to save up quite a bit in 1-2 years (if I last that long without spending my money lol).

Sooo, gave my wife the recs especially Wharfedale towers and she denied all of them. She wants bookshelf speakers without stands...

So gonna go with the Wharfedale Diamond 12.0 Bookshelf speakers. When dealing with these, is a subwoofer necessary?

Looking to upgrade my old af speakers.
I currently own KLH P950S speakers that I got from a vintage audio store.
They're big, boxy, and my wife wants something new and preferably white. 😅
I'm looking for something around $500-$750. Something that will be a slight upgrade but will last me a good time to save up for more expensive. Looking for tower speakers, but okay with smaller but will be strong enough to fill a living room.

Help me, forum. You're my only hope

EDIT: Receiver Info Sherwood RX-4109 Specs

Also open to strong bookshelf speakers that have stands
Well, if the white is a requirement, there's always this.
1611726858700.png

Here's hoping the OL isn't angling for Bose (known among audiophiles as "Better Off with Something Else!")

Sooo, gave my wife the recs especially Wharfedale towers and she denied all of them. She wants bookshelf speakers without stands...

So gonna go with the Wharfedale Diamond 12.0 Bookshelf speakers. When dealing with these, is a subwoofer necessary?
I usually would say it depends on the end user. I recently saw a Linton owner say that they “had” to add a sub to get acceptable bass performance. This is totally insane.

12s though, they are down 6 dB (substantially) at 65 hz (not tremendously deep), To get deep bass, you need two things; cabinet volume and the ability to displace a lot of air. You get neither with the Diamond’s small size and 4 inch “woofer”.

You can get some bass reinforcement by backing them up to a wall at the expense of stereo imaging. There is no free lunch.

If it has to be these, I’d plan on a sub as well.

Edit: These are plain weird. They are 85 dB sensitivity. This would lead one to believe that one needs a powerful amp to drive them. But then they are only rated to 60 watts with a maximum output of 95 dB. Headbangers need not apply. I wouldn’t buy these. Elac 6.2s would be a far better choice.

Just catching up on this thread so apologies for multiple topics in the same post:

The more you pull them out, the more bass reinforcement will diminish. Pull them out until they sound the most balanced and you should be good.

Does noise isolation foam help or make things worse? I can't move my speakers much futher away form the wall but I was considering adding some foam on the wall behind them.

one of us !!! and i mean you and me ! and maybe @uvwxVinyl and someone else

me too, with Denton 80s in my office at my workplace

I actually have the 315BEE but I'm pretty happy with it so far. Not had to increase the volume beyond 15% in my listening space and I have it paired with the Wharfdale Denton 80s like @dansomeone

Probably like a $1000 soft budget! Would ideally like to get to a place where I wouldn't have to upgrade my speakers for at least a couple years after I would be able to upgrade my deck. Probably not endgame speakers, but close to it!

For the amplifier a NAD like this is definitely a good call.

As for the speakers I would have said the Wharfedale Denton but with the 80th seemingly gone the 85th plus the NAD will blow your budget.

🤔🤔🤔

So I will say I really like the Denton 80s but I can see some people not loving them. I'm not sure if they've changed anything with the 85th but these are generally described as having a relaxed/easy going listening profile and sort of have a distinct "personality" (some of the reviewers actually described this as "very British"). It really suits me, especially what I listen to. The mid and treble ranges are amazing. For jazz and warm acoustic organic instruments sound brilliant.

If you're someone that's looking for detailed bass and rhythm it might not be for you. It's not that the bass is lacking, and I do like my hiphop and electronic albums on this as well, however they to favour a more balanced end result.

I would say if you're paying the price of the 85s definitely demo them and see if it's something you'll like. At the 80th price it's a no brainer for me (paid 390€ all in).

@Memo , I missed your price range but these are the same price as the wharfedales and come in white. I was looking at these when I was looking in that price range. I think they are well regarded. I they they’re pretty classy looking too. I’m going to get them in white when my wife allows speakers in the living room :)

@Memo , I missed your price range but these are the same price as the wharfedales and come in white. I was looking at these when I was looking in that price range. I think they are well regarded. I they they’re pretty classy looking too. I’m going to get them in white when my wife allows speakers in the living room :)
I like KEFs. I don’t know that they would be your end game speakers but it really depends on what you’re looking for. I know it’s hard now, but I’d definitely try to demo them if they are in your price range or find somewhere you can demo for 30 days at home or something

edit: I have some KEF R300s and really like them and me saying they might not be end game is purely because I don't think they are my end games. Could just be my itch to always upgrade or try something new every few years haha

Last edited:

If white will make your better half happier ;)

Here is a Linton vs Kef comparison for you and your wife to check out. With stands there both about the same price I believe. I would think the clear sonic superiority you will hear and possibly enjoy would outweigh any color choice.

Back