Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

@AnthonyI not this kind of bass. 😂

giphy.gif

Current setup is here.

I'm happy with my TT and my speakers. I think my next step is going to be replacing the cart with a Grado Gold. After that, I'm looking at replacing the 2150...

I'm thinking of a KC Vibe phono stage, but don't know what to do between that and my speakers. I don't really want a tube amp, but could be convinced to go that way if it really is my best option. All-in budget for phono and amp is maybe in the $2k range, but I'm just starting to plan this all out, so if there are other options that are a big improvement for not much more than that, I could go a little higher.

Current setup is here.

I'm happy with my TT and my speakers. I think my next step is going to be replacing the cart with a Grado Gold. After that, I'm looking at replacing the 2150...

I'm thinking of a KC Vibe phono stage, but don't know what to do between that and my speakers. I don't really want a tube amp, but could be convinced to go that way if it really is my best option. All-in budget for phono and amp is maybe in the $2k range, but I'm just starting to plan this all out, so if there are other options that are a big improvement for not much more than that, I could go a little higher.
$2K...maybe +, is a pretty decent budget for those 2 pieces. I would put a little extra towards the Sutherland and step up to the Insight and then match an amp to that, the jump in sound is pretty steep from the Vibe to the Insight............had the Vibe, HAVE the Insight ;)

Both great, but if your budget can push a little over $2k I would try and jump up a rung.

Current setup is here.

$2K...maybe +, is a pretty decent budget for those 2 pieces. I would put a little extra towards the Sutherland and step up to the Insight and then match an amp to that, the jump in sound is pretty steep from the Vibe to the Insight............had the Vibe, HAVE the Insight ;)

Both great, but if your budget can push a little over $2k I would try and jump up a rung.

A bit of patience and some eBay and music direct open box trawling can lead to getting an insight for a bit less too...

Also tubes are mega, I’d not rule them out altogether!

I'm pretty sure Audio Advisor has open box pho-8's available for $249 with free shipping. You could take the $50 savings and get that power cord from them while you're at it... 😈

They might not show on their website, but I get their clearance email every week and they always have them. Might need to call them to get it.

Brilliant! Thank you!

I have a general question for the great minds of this forum.

Do you ever see people make YouTube videos testing out phono stages? They supposedly put the audio feed from the phono stage into the video to compare sound.

Is this reliable? My think is that it isn’t. The whole signal is getting squashed into the YouTube compression. Thoughts?

Do you ever see people make YouTube videos testing out phono stages? They supposedly put the audio feed from the phono stage into the video to compare sound.

Is this reliable? My think is that it isn’t. The whole signal is getting squashed into the YouTube compression. Thoughts?
Coming from someone who posts audio on YouTube, it's not reliable. You can get and or hear characteristics of the equipment or cart or what have you. But the audio is compressed and in the end you're listening to the video on your PC speakers or mobile device. Best practice, go demo stuff if you can. Outside of that, a good review is probably better than relying on a YouTube video.

I'm with @AnthonyI you can't tell anything from compressed You Tube audio.

Another option is to research and figure out what you want and get a money back guarantee. I've been happy with this method as I've only had to return one piece of gear- when I upgraded from the Vibe to the Insight.

Living with a piece at home with your music and gear is certainly better than any in store audition.

Not only is Youtube compressing it, but you're also hearing it through another A/D conversion, another D/A conversion, and thorough a different amp/ speaker/ room.

Having said that, I use a lot of audio samples coming from youtube... to find new music.

I thought of another question (shockingly) haha. When I get my Vincent PHO-8 I am going to purchase the the upgraded power cable. Which made me think...

What should I plug it into? Is it okay to go straight into the wall? I don’t have a power conditioner for my home setup. Just a decent surge protector power strip thing.

Back