Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

I’m still a ways from being able to have a complete opinion on the AT versus the Grado. The AT sounds great in many ways and it seems quantifiable how it differs from the Grado, however I feel the best way I can articulate it is that I assume the AT is more “accurate” or “neutral” sounding then the Grado. For me though I may enjoy the way in which the Grado effects the overall sound especially one that may perform similar to the AT in regards to inner groove distortion and then a comparable stylus.

It’s also nice that I have a similar table and cart to others here that I could ask specific questions that one without experience may not be able to answer and no one here or the old forum have ever been less then an ideal human which is rare on ye old interwebs. Everyone here has guided me through the building of every component in my system at this point and even though many things are subjective in terms of sound I have always received valuable information and it’s nice to have people to count on in that way when it comes to gear.

If you want to upgrade the black, check out the 8mz stylus. That was the first upgrade I made to my U-Turn, and it was a huge improvement. You shouldn't need to adjust your tonearm after swapping styli, but it wouldn't hurt to check just to make sure.
I can second this. I had a Grado Blue on my old U-Turn and when it was time to replace the stylus I went with the 8mz and was very happy with it. Nice and easy change to do as well.

Heya!

I'm currently thinking about changing my TT. I have a Clearaudio Concept but (1) it is very sensitive to vibrations and records jump if I walk too close to the TT (magnetic arm + wooden floor issue I suppose?) and (2) I'd really like to get a way to easily swap cartridge (keep my quintet blue or similar MC/MM for audiophile LPs, find something more "raw" for my old punk / classic rock ones, and add a mono one).

The Technics SL-1500c seems to be the only one with removable headshell in the 1000€ range (I've looked at the project 2xperience s-shape but that's another 500€ new, and I don't need the DJ features of the 1210-mk7, even though the Japanese build of a 1200-gr is appealing and could be around the same price as open box). Or did I miss something?

If anyone has been able to compare the Technics to a belt drive in the same price range, how would you qualify it? I was told I'd lose in details / sound qualities (that was also my understating in your review and comparison to the RP3 @Ed Selley), but is that really significant (my ears are far from perfect!), and wouldn't the ability to swap cartridges to fit with what I'm listening to compensate for this? I discovered lots of details in some of my records when I switch from an RP3 to the Concept, so I'd be sad to lose all those subtleties.

If that helps, I have a MoFi Studio Phono (bought mostly to use the MC + enjoy its mono switch - will have to consider if that's worth keeping depending on the TT/cart change?) and an Audiolab 6000A (includes a descent phono stage too), so I'm unlikely to use the Technics preamp.

Thanks!

Last edited:
also for when i do get a job (im stuck looking through about 2 rn).. does a new stylus require more tracking force or is it JUST for a full cartridge

also for when i do get a job (im stuck looking through about 2 rn).. does a new stylus require more tracking force or is it JUST for a full cartridge

The 8mz stylus in a Black require the same tracking force as just the normal black needle on the black. The answer more widely depends on the cartridge/stylus in question. That said you may knock the tracking force out changing the stylus so it’s always worth checking all your settings once it’s done.

The 8020 is discontinued and will be hard to find. It was replaced by the TX-8220. That unit and the Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2 speakers are only $374 total at Crutchfield.

Hold up. The 8220 isn't an 8020 plus Bluetooth for $20 more. The amplifiers are different and the 8220 is no longer rated for 4 ohm loads. It's only rated for 6 ohms.

Let me dig when I have a chance and see if I can find a better option.

If anyone has been able to compare the Technics to a belt drive in the same price range, how would you qualify it? I was told I'd lose in details / sound qualities
I compared a 1200GR, Rega P6, and MoFi Ultradeck. I have the Ultradeck now.
Super quick answer is that the 1200 had a more forward driving sound. The UD was more mellow and laid back, without losing detail.
My system was already very forward and driving so the UD was a better synergy.
My GF was also there, and she said she was surprised at what a difference just the TT made, but she said she was glad she wasn't the one making the choice because they seemed equal but different.

Hi everyone

So I think this coming year it's time for me to upgrade my turntable and receiver

I'm coming from an AT-PL 120 with an Ortofon blue 2m
Pioneer VSX-D514
My speakers are fine for now I think (polk audio bookshelf for now)

budget is between 700-1000$

Any recommendations would be great

I am no audiophile and do not know much at all

Ease of set up and use is a big factor too!

Thanks to anyone that replies

Hi everyone

So I think this coming year it's time for me to upgrade my turntable and receiver

I'm coming from an AT-PL 120 with an Ortofon blue 2m
Pioneer VSX-D514
My speakers are fine for now I think (polk audio bookshelf for now)

budget is between 700-1000$

Any recommendations would be great

I am no audiophile and do not know much at all

Ease of set up and use is a big factor too!

Thanks to anyone that replies
I would suggest putting your whole budget into a TT or an integrated amp. By doing both you're more likely to just make a lateral move. Personally I'd probably go with the amp first.

What speakers do you have? That might be a factor for the amp.
Marantz stuff is on clearance right now, and so are a few Cambridge amps. Others to consider would be NAD, maybe Parasound, I'm sure there are others, but I'd have to look closer. Those are just off the top of my head.

I would suggest putting your whole budget into a TT or an integrated amp. By doing both you're more likely to just make a lateral move. Personally I'd probably go with the amp first.

What speakers do you have? That might be a factor for the amp.
Marantz stuff is on clearance right now, and so are a few Cambridge amps. Others to consider would be NAD, maybe Parasound, I'm sure there are others, but I'd have to look closer. Those are just off the top of my head.
right now just some polk audio bookshelf speakers

I also have these that I haven't even opened

I also was looking at the Fluance RT-85 - the reviews seem good but I don't know how much I trust Amazon reviewers...

This would certainly be a step up from the LP120. But I do still think you might find you get more out of putting everything into just the TT or just the amp. Do you think you might consider other upgrades down the road? An amp upgrade would certainly allow flexibility with a potential future speaker upgrade.

This would certainly be a step up from the LP120. But I do still think you might find you get more out of putting everything into just the TT or just the amp. Do you think you might consider other upgrades down the road? An amp upgrade would certainly allow flexibility with a potential future speaker upgrade.

I live in a small apartment so may not upgrade the speakers for a long time

what TT would you recommend?

I live in a small apartment so may not upgrade the speakers for a long time

what TT would you recommend?
Small doesn't have to be limiting. As a matter of fact, I've heard some really great monitors that are perfect for small spaces. But that's getting off track.

At the $1K price point, I do think the RT85 should be in the mix/consideration. The Pioneer PLX-1000 would be well above that and sells for $600 right now. It doesn't come with a cart, but you could use your current 2M Blue.
Other good options would be Music Hall 5.3, some well regarded Pro-ject tables get into this price range on open box, Rega P3 and MoFi StudioDeck are in reach if you can stretch the budget a little further. Lots of options.
But the PLX-1000 would be a familiar and direct upgrade from your LP120. It would be obvious right out of the box what your money got you.

Back