Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

Small doesn't have to be limiting. As a matter of fact, I've heard some really great monitors that are perfect for small spaces. But that's getting off track.

At the $1K price point, I do think the RT85 should be in the mix/consideration. The Pioneer PLX-1000 would be well above that and sells for $600 right now. It doesn't come with a cart, but you could use your current 2M Blue.
Other good options would be Music Hall 5.3, some well regarded Pro-ject tables get into this price range on open box, Rega P3 and MoFi StudioDeck are in reach if you can stretch the budget a little further. Lots of options.
But the PLX-1000 would be a familiar and direct upgrade from your LP120. It would be obvious right out of the box what your money got you.
I keep hearing about the Rega P3 and I definitely could stretch the budget a bit. What’s its major advantages over the PLX?

I keep hearing about the Rega P3 and I definitely could stretch the budget a bit. What’s its major advantages over the PLX?
I've never owned a Rega table, but wanted to interject a comment. The Fluance RT85 is rock solid at it's price point no question, but having a 2M Blue already I would consider leaning towards the PLX, again, I can't really compare, but I can say the PLX was surprisingly well built and lacks nothing. I've had mine for almost a month and I'm really pleased with it. Well built, very quiet, easy to work with.........as @displayname mentioned, it will be very familiar coming from the LP120. Also, if you can stretch your budget, keep an eye out on the PLX, you might be able to shave a bit off the $600 price tag with a little patience, then depending on how far you can stretch and what you're leaning towards amp wise you might be able to double dip. That being said, I'm going to agree with @displayname's recommendation of getting the best individual piece with your budget and go from there.

If you get a good grasp of where you want your system to end up, it's definitely worth investing piece by piece, best you can afford, than splitting a budget across multiple pieces. Again, it boils down to your long term plan and long term budget. ;)

Depends on who you ask. They are mostly completely opposing design approaches. The biggest strength of the Rega is the arm. Personally I wouldn't go with Rega below the P6. I think their lighter design makes more sense when you are using specific materials to accommodate to that. Rega is also highly "tweak-able" which some people enjoy. You can upgrade platters, sub platter, pullies, belts, all kinds of stuff. But they also require modifications to accommodate certain carts. In the US, the price point on the Rega's aren't quite as competitive either. But it sounds like I'm just bashing Rega, I'm not. I strongly considered the P6. Rega's are well loved for having a "lively" and "musical" sound.
Do some searching and you'll find novels on why people love their Rega tables.

long term plan and long term budget
This is the key here. If you're the type of person that likes to upgrade, always remember that you have your whole life to upgrade gear. Take your time with it and try to take bigger steps. One thing I've learned from people with insane reference systems is most of them have been slowly upgrading over decades, often starting since they were teenagers and never stopping. They didn't go into the shop and buy $50K worth of gear in one purchase (but some people do), they keep pieces for awhile and use those to help fund new pieces one by one.

also i'll probably get a dragonfly just because there are a few digital files that are higher than 16/44.1 and despite sound guys telling me it doesn't matter i keep hearing a new DAC will help a lot

(mostly because i have 1 24/96 album- that being brand news last album- and plan on buying another from HD tracks because i heard the american idiot remaster there sounds so much better)

Last edited:
I posted a month back that my brother in law wanted some Bluetooth speakers for his birthday.

He received these Edifier R1700BT Bookshelf Speakers

Now he's looking to get an entry TT. I figured an entry level with an integrated preamp would be his best bet. Probably looking at a budget <$200. He's by no means an audiophile.

Any thoughts on the following:

Sony PS-LX310BT (https://www.amazon.com/Sony-PS-LX310BT-Belt-Drive-Turntable/dp/B07PBLD4QN)

Audio Technica AT-LP3

Any other options you'd recommend?

also i'll probably get a dragonfly just because there are a few digital files that are higher than 16/44.1 and despite sound guys telling me it doesn't matter i keep hearing a new DAC will help a lot

(mostly because i have 1 24/96 album- that being brand news last album- and plan on buying another from HD tracks because i heard the american idiot remaster there sounds so much better)

A new DAC, like a new stylus or cartridge can make everything you own sound better. Or not.

The Dragonfly likely won't. It has no power supply- it's powered off of the USB connection on your computer. Great for portability, not so great for sound quality.

Also, I highly doubt you'll hear any difference at all in sq between CD quality and Hi Rez files. With my system, standard files sound good. So do Hi Rez files. I have a couple of albums both ways and the audible differences between the two are infinitesimal.

The Dragonfly likely won't. It has no power supply- it's powered off of the USB connection on your computer. Great for portability, not so great for sound quality
The problem is I don't want a power supply since portability is very much useful on a laptop and I don't have a ton of plugs in my room

Reviews are like movie trailers- did you ever see a movie trailer that makes a movie look bad?

You'll see very few "ho hum" or negative reviews overall for anything.
That sounds counterintuitive for what a reviewer should be (aka, give you a discussion that explains why you should buy it)

Now I just gotta figure out if I do hifiman 4XX or SR80e.. similar price

That sounds counterintuitive for what a reviewer should be (aka, give you a discussion that explains why you should buy it)

Now I just gotta figure out if I do hifiman 4XX or SR80e.. similar price

A review should discuss the positives and negatives of the product under review. A review that says why you should buy it is an advertisement, nothing more.

The Grados will present a kinder load to the Dragonfly between the two models you've listed.

I posted a month back that my brother in law wanted some Bluetooth speakers for his birthday.

He received these Edifier R1700BT Bookshelf Speakers

Now he's looking to get an entry TT. I figured an entry level with an integrated preamp would be his best bet. Probably looking at a budget <$200. He's by no means an audiophile.

Any thoughts on the following:

Sony PS-LX310BT (https://www.amazon.com/Sony-PS-LX310BT-Belt-Drive-Turntable/dp/B07PBLD4QN)

Audio Technica AT-LP3

Any other options you'd recommend?
This is a little above the budget, but IF he ever decides he wants to hit the upgrade path, even in a minimal sense, he'll be much happier.

Get the Orbit Basic with the built in Pre - $250 and he can choose a color he likes ;)

A review should discuss the positives and negatives of the product under review. A review that says why you should buy it is an advertisement, nothing more.

The Grados will present a kinder load to the Dragonfly between the two models you've listed.
I meant for the schiit Magni in going to put best my Mani to okay my turntable

I knew grado doesn't have a ton of bass or as good for non acoustic sounds so it might be a no

This is a little above the budget, but IF he ever decides he wants to hit the upgrade path, even in a minimal sense, he'll be much happier.

Get the Orbit Basic with the built in Pre - $250 and he can choose a color he likes ;)

Appreciate the heads up on the Orbit Basic. I'm not sure what the wiggle room is in the budget for my Mother in Law who is buying the present, but I'll send this one to her as well in case there is some.

I can understand her hesitation knowing that this is his first step into the hobby and not sure if he'll be bit by the bug even remotely as much as I have.

The problem is I don't want a power supply since portability is very much useful on a laptop and I don't have a ton of plugs in my room

Hey duke86fan,

I'm not sure which Dragonfly you're looking at, but FWIW, I recently got a Dragonfly Red as part of a promo with my Focal Elegia headphones and use them primarily at work. I tried the Dragonfly Red plugged into my MacBook Pro (MBP) via an Audioquest adaptor into USB C. Also tried going directly from USB B from a USB hub. The differences in sound quality between the built-in headphone jack (of the MBP) & the Dragonfly was barely noticeable. I was ready to return the headphones since I didn't think they sounded good enough to warrant the cost (compared to my Bose QC 35 II...the Elegias + Dragonfly were barely better but I was expecting to be blown away for what they cost).

I then decided to try the headphones on my home setup (tried from my Bluesound Node 2i and my Parasound HINT 6)...holy #$%, sounded a million times better than the Bose and I couldn't stop smiling! So I decided to keep the headphones and upgrade my amp/DAC at work.

Based on Z_Reviews, I tried an xDuo TA-10 hybrid amp with DAC (but switched out the stock tube to a Genelex Gold Lion). I thought it sounded better than the Dragonfly but not like my setup at home. I then ended up with a Monoprice THX AAA 887 and feed it with the Dragonfly Red. Much more analytical sound than my home setup, but I'm fairly content for now...though I am looking for a better DAC, haha.

So, I guess my conclusion; be sure to test your headphones with the headphone jack of your laptop first and buy the Dragonfly from somewhere with a good return policy. In my opinion, the $200 MSRP of the Dragonfly Red, you're paying for portability and it'd probably be better served to look at a slightly larger amp/DAC from iFi, Topping, or xDuo.

BTW, I tested everything with Amazon Music HD, Spotify Premium & Mixcloud.

Good luck with your search!
-Thomas

So, I guess my conclusion; be sure to test your headphones with the headphone jack of your laptop first and buy the Dragonfly from somewhere with a good return policy. In my opinion, the $200 MSRP of the Dragonfly Red, you're paying for portability and it'd probably be better served to look at a slightly larger amp/DAC from iFi, Topping, or xDuo
My headphone jack is fine but I dunno if it really does much for the higher frequencies and sub bass the m50s have (sorry to z reviews but I like my m50s). I dunno if it has quite the impact and warmth im looking for

But then again maybe the m50s just aren't for me.. I just know that a laptop DAC can only do 20-20Khz and im probably missing out on the punchy warmness I'm looking for

Appreciate the heads up on the Orbit Basic. I'm not sure what the wiggle room is in the budget for my Mother in Law who is buying the present, but I'll send this one to her as well in case there is some.

I can understand her hesitation knowing that this is his first step into the hobby and not sure if he'll be bit by the bug even remotely as much as I have.
I'll be the first to preach staying in your budget, so I get ya there. Just wanted to toss it out there and avoid spending extra money in the long run.........again, if the bug bites ;)

Back