Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

thank you... though i wouldn't do a crosley of course (even with my hearing i know the sound quality is super tinny and awkward)...
Eh, I've been tempted by Crosleys a couple times. Not for sound quality of course, but they seemed a decent way to share my collection with friends. As always, it comes down to one's needs.

Eh, I've been tempted by Crosleys a couple times. Not for sound quality of course, but they seemed a decent way to share my collection with friends. As always, it comes down to one's needs.
they wont really destroy your records like many claim (Vwestlife has a good video about it as well as someone who actually tested it on a one direction crosley). they just aren't the best experience because of the fact that its an AIO that has to put super small speakers in there and make it pretty cheap..

what you should do is MODIFY it so it has a new stylus (thats not sapphire) or direct them to something like the bigger MPK table

the moral of the story is fuck peer pressure

I’d like to think there’s little to no peer pressure on this forum. Especially compared to other nastier places. It’s easy to get sucked into what magazines and sites with vested interest in the industry have to say. They’re just trying to sell products. People here are just trying to help you have as much fun as we do.

Glad you’ve found your next step!

@duke86fan this video is something I think is worth keeping in mind while you're on your journey. Steve is focused on speakers, but I think it can apply to most things in audio. Moral of the story, it's generally all good, all different, and a range of prices. But any modern gear can easily allow you to enjoy your music... even a soundbar.

@duke86fan this video is something I think is worth keeping in mind while you're on your journey. Steve is focused on speakers, but I think it can apply to most things in audio. Moral of the story, it's generally all good, all different, and a range of prices. But any modern gear can easily allow you to enjoy your music... even a soundbar.

Just watched this morning......Steve gets it 🙂

Is this a good deal or am I missing something? an incredible discount on these Klipschs:

I’m currently running a U-turn with ELAC 6.2s and an Onkyo TX-8020

Is this a good deal or am I missing something? an incredible discount on these Klipschs:

Im not a fan. At that price you could get floorstanding Elacs or a pair of Zu Dirty Weekends. Polk also has some great values in that price range as well.

Keep an eye on Adorama on the the Polk 705s and 707s, they've gone down to the $1k ( a little more on the 707s) mark now and then for a pair.

I setup my new TT (Pioneer PLX-1000) and new cart (Grado prestige gold 3) and while still testing different records and making sure everything is adjusted I can say I am amazed!

I couldn't walk past the old TT without hearing my footsteps, open the lid without hearing it or close the drawer on my entertainment stand without it skipping the record. Now it is dead quiet.

And heavy, heavy as shit and solid as a rock. Beautiful too compared to my old silver box.

The cart I was breaking in since Sunday and it is quiet between tracks and has a warm sound with everything I've played from live indie rock, jazz, punk, country and blues. I haven't found anything in my collection that sounds bad or makes me want to put my 2m Blue back on.

So far the only annoying thing. Truly hate this but it's not a deal breaker. The dust cover is not attached. 🙄 I have to take it off set it somewhere it won't fall and get scratched, 🙄 put the record on and then replace the dust cover without tapping the tonearm and destroying my needle or record. And I drink sometimes... So.. 🙄

But that's a first world problem I guess.

Anyway, I will update as I play more. Thanks again everyone for your stellar recommendations.

Last edited:

the Synergy series isn’t great, from what I’ve heard, but I’ve read Reference is still solid.

I setup my new TT and while still testing different records and making sure everything is adjusted I can say I am amazed!

I couldn't walk past the old TT without hearing my footsteps, open the lid without hearing it or close the drawer on my entertainment stand without it skipping the record. Now it is dead quiet.

And heavy, heavy as shit and solid as a rock. Beautiful too compared to my old silver box.

The cart I was breaking in since Sunday and it is quiet between tracks and has a warm sound with everything I've played from live indie rock, jazz, punk, country and blues. I haven't found anything in my collection that sounds bad or make me want to put my 2m Blue back on.

So far the only annoying thing. Truly hate this but it's not a deal breaker. The dust cover is not attached. 🙄 I have to take it off set it somewhere it won't fall and get acratched, 🙄 put the record on and then replace the dust cover without tapping the tonearm and destroying my needle or record. And I drink sometimes... So.. 🙄

Anyway, I will update as I play more. Thanks again everyone for your stellar recommendations.

I think it’s generally recommended to leave your dust cover up and/or off during playback.

I setup my new TT and while still testing different records and making sure everything is adjusted I can say I am amazed!

The cart I was breaking in since Sunday and it is quiet between tracks and has a warm sound with everything I've played from live indie rock, jazz, punk, country and blues. I haven't found anything in my collection that sounds bad or make me want to put my 2m Blue back on.

So far the only annoying thing. Truly hate this but it's not a deal breaker. The dust cover is not attached. 🙄 I have to take it off set it somewhere it won't fall and get acratched, 🙄 put the record on and then replace the dust cover without tapping the tonearm and destroying my needle or record. And I drink sometimes... So.. 🙄

I always left the dust cover off when playing records. I only put it on when the turntable wasn’t in use.

Which TT did you get?

Also, I never put my dust cover down when playing a record. Mostly for ease of access with each incoming/outgoing disc, but also because there's not a lot of dust that should be dropping in the 15 minutes it takes a side to play. The dust cover, IMO, is for preventing dust to get on the plinth and platter in the time (which is likely the majority of the day) you're not using it.

Which TT did you get?

Also, I never put my dust cover down when playing a record. Mostly for ease of access with each incoming/outgoing disc, but also because there's not a lot of dust that should be dropping in the 15 minutes it takes a side to play. The dust cover, IMO, is for preventing dust to get on the plinth and platter in the time (which is likely the majority of the day) you're not using it.

I updated the post, sorry. It is a Pioneer PLX-1000

Everyone seems to say up or off so far but again, I have cats and can see one of them jumping on it.

I'm with @debianlinux and will have to learn a new system.

I setup my new TT (Pioneer PLX-1000) and new cart (Grado prestige gold 3) and while still testing different records and making sure everything is adjusted I can say I am amazed!

The cart I was breaking in since Sunday and it is quiet between tracks and has a warm sound with everything I've played from live indie rock, jazz, punk, country and blues. I haven't found anything in my collection that sounds bad or makes me want to put my 2m Blue back on.

So far the only annoying thing. Truly hate this but it's not a deal breaker. The dust cover is not attached. 🙄 I have to take it off set it somewhere it won't fall and get scratched, 🙄 put the record on and then replace the dust cover without tapping the tonearm and destroying my needle or record. And I drink sometimes... So.. 🙄

So glad to hear you're enjoying the new toys :)
......I'm a cover off while spinning kind of guy, but I can understand the cat problem. When I was younger I had a salt water tank and always had to make sure to cover it with something while I cleaned it because I found one of my cats in it "fishing" once, lol.

Back