Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

I love my KingKo, but this gives me the mad-scientist impulse to quad-amp my Fortes.

I love my KingKo, but this gives me the mad-scientist impulse to quad-amp my Fortes.

Crazy at that price.

silly question.....but then what would you hook your speakers up to? (to quad amp it). would you bi-wire 4 fosis to the speakers?
They are monoblocks, so each one takes a single channel of input and powers a single speaker. My Fortes have two sets of binding posts per speaker, one for the bass driver and one for the mid and tweeter. So each speaker would use two of these.

It would be ridiculous overkill but also kind of fun.

ASR good review does make me immediately balcklist it though.
I hate when people use ASR as a source for all truth and decisionmaking, but it's extremely helpful technical information. For example, it's clear that these are extremely accurate and transparent power amps, which might pair nicely with, say, a tube preamplifier if you are looking to add some color.

It's mostly just incredible that units measuring this well are now available for so little outlay.

Yes, or also no because he could use two of these for either High or Low Frequency and his exiting KingKo for the other.

They are monoblocks, so each one takes a single channel of input and powers a single speaker. My Fortes have two sets of binding posts per speaker, one for the bass driver and one for the mid and tweeter. So each speaker would use two of these.

It would be ridiculous overkill but also kind of fun.

I hate when people use ASR as a source for all truth and decisionmaking, but it's extremely helpful technical information. For example, it's clear that these are extremely accurate and transparent power amps, which might pair nicely with, say, a tube preamplifier if you are looking to add some color.

It's mostly just incredible that units measuring this well are now available for so little outlay.
Got it. So my Dentons have HF and LF and could theoretically do the same (not that i would...)

Fosi has something even better in the pipeline as opposed to the chip amps
You can get the V3 Monobocks though their Kickstarter campaign
Excellent value for the money
Amir got a warm fuzzy from the V3 monoblock which is good for his health
I think Amir is too religious about absolute measured accuracy and ignores the effects of psychoacoustics, so I tend to take his speaker reviews especially with a grain of salt, but the data he gathers is extremely valuable.

There's vertical and horizontal bi-amping.
I did the horizontal with the new JBLs.
Very happy with the outcome. It was equivalent to adding a separate sub in the room.
I don't see monos adding much of anything more, unless it's just better sounding amps altogether.

I hear the next big upgrade would be active crossovers instead of passive, but that's too far down the rabbit hole for me at this time.

You'll be shocked to learn that there are entire threads on ASR taking a shit on Alpha Audio for their methodologies and conclusions. :ROFLMAO:
Yeah I mean it's a never ending battle I'm sure but part of the reason I'm so over the top with my cable proselytizing is that I've heard the difference they make at a time when I was completely sceptical about the merits. I'm sure most people don't swap out every single AC and audio cable in their system at the same time but that's what I did and the difference from stock everything to upgraded everything wasn't small. Like it was a huge difference, it sounded like a different system. Even from upgraded speaker cable to different upgraded speaker cable it made a massive difference. And when I had to return all the testers and send them back it was a very sad day. My unicorn turned back into a ditch pig that day my friends...

But then I bought them all back over the next six months and the unicorn returned and everything was great the end

Last edited:
I think Amir is too religious about absolute measured accuracy and ignores the effects of psychoacoustics, so I tend to take his speaker reviews especially with a grain of salt, but the data he gathers is extremely valuable.
I'm a regular participant at ASR; I do have value for how measurements reveal equipment deficiencies and strengths. Competent designers measure things thoroughly.

How you interpret the measurements is a different matter. Too many ASR fans take the measurements as gospel, without considering even the audibility of the measured differences. For instance, you'll have a hard time convincing me that a "120 dB SINAD" DAC sounds different than a "100 dB SINAD" DAC outside of laboratory conditions. Things like reliability and usability matter more once you cross a certain measurement threshold.

I do find a certain joy in reading the phonostage measurements. There is so much to creating a great phonostage that no one measurement encompasses it all. I revel in the differences - both measured and perceived.

As for the Fosi, although it measures well, I'm leery on reliability. But for the cost, probably a fun experiment!

Yeah I mean it's a never ending battle I'm sure but part of the reason I'm so over the top with my cable proselytizing is that I've heard the difference they make at a time when I was completely sceptical about the merits. I'm sure most people don't swap out every single AC and audio cable in their system at the same time but that's what I did and the difference from stock everything to upgraded everything wasn't small. Like it was a huge difference, it sounded like a different system. Even from upgraded speaker cable to different upgraded speaker cable it made a massive difference. And when I had to return all the testers and send them back it was a very sad day. My unicorn turned back into a ditch pig that day my friends...

But then I bought them all back over the next six months and the unicorn returned and everything was great the end
The real kicker is if someone snuck in and swapped out a premium cable for a cheap one, would you notice?

I'm an acknowledged fan of BJC for their construction and solid engineering, not because they sound different. The cheap "throw-in" RCA that I use to connect my office sub costs 1/10 of a BJC of the same length, but I had to try the BJC. No difference. The extra shielding and lower capacitance of the BJC simply did not matter in that application.

What did matter was running a cheap white extension cord from the sub to my system's power strip rather than the system and the sub being plugged into different outlets. That move eliminated a ground loop hum.

I've occasionally used a "throw-in" to temporarily replace a more premium cable - rarely if ever did I hear a difference. YMMV.

Last edited:
Back