Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

A couple things. First, it’s not about sensitivity it’s about inclusivity. We want this place of ours to feel open and welcoming to everybody. If, certain groups find certain words offensive or derogatory then why not say it in a way that doesn’t ruffle feathers? It’s not gonna change the world but it can make this community a bit more comfortable.

Secondly, I am sorry for your loss. Losing friends and love ones is always rough and having a long road trip to boot would be a lot to take in. I completely agree about the headlights though I am not sure how much of it is people being inconsiderate as opposed to everybody in America driving SUVs and Monster Trucks with super bright LED Headlights. As someone who drives a normal car I have found that headlights on these taller vehicle tend to unfortunately align more with my rearview mirror than with lower portions of my car making it very difficult to see and then when you factor in the ultra bright bulbs I don’t even think most of these fellow travelers even have their brights on I just think it’s the way these vehicles are set up.

I don’t think the issue is with cars behind you. Most modern cars have a dimming feature in the rear view mirrors that makes thing feel weirdly green. The issue more often than not is not dimming full beams when approaching people coming towards you. Thankfully I have a car with intelligent full beam that does that for me, but it’s scary as shit when someone who doesn’t is coming towards you and your literally driving in the dark with zero visability.

I don’t think the issue is with cars behind you. Most modern cars have a dimming feature in the rear view mirrors that makes thing feel weirdly green. The issue more often than not is not dimming full beams when approaching people coming towards you. Thankfully I have a car with intelligent full beam that does that for me, but it’s scary as shit when someone who doesn’t is coming towards you and your literally driving in the dark with zero visability.
I know what you are talking about and that has always been an issue. Someone forgets to turn off high beams (or doesn’t know or care to turn them off). What I am talking about is a newer phenomenon where you get blinded much for frequently and in areas, like driving in town; where no one is typically driving with their high beams on. No, I think lots of these SUVs and Trucks low beams are now just as bright as what high beams used to be. They not only blind you when they are in oncoming traffic but also via the side and rearview mirrors.

I know what you are talking about and that has always been an issue. Someone forgets to turn off high beams (doesn’t know or care). What I am talking about is a newer phenomenon where you get blinded much for frequently and in areas, like driving in town; where no one is typically driving with their high beams on. No, I think lots of these SUVs and Trucks low beams are now just as bright as what high beams used to be. They not only blind you when they are in oncoming traffic but also via the side and rearview mirrors.

I get what you mean. Modern LED headlights, regardless of intensity, are white light rather than the warm light of a bulb and its more dazzling regales of intensity. My rear view mirror does dim that at night?

I get what you mean. Modern LED headlights, regardless of intensity, are white light rather than the warm light of a bulb and its more dazzling regales of intensity. My rear view mirror does dim that at night?
ah, yeah I have a manual lever on my rearview that I can pop that will dim the reflection in mine but it’s something I have to use much more over the last decade then I have had to in the past.

ah, yeah I have a manual lever on my rearview that I can pop that will dim the reflection in mine but it’s something I have to use much more over the last decade then I have had to in the past.

Yeah my old car was like yours but since it went up in a plume of smoke the new one just had that built into it! It’s kinda weird, if someone is close behind you at night it’s like everything in your rear view is in shade of green like a commodore 64 monitor!

A couple things. First, it’s not about sensitivity it’s about inclusivity. We want this place of ours to feel open and welcoming to everybody. If, certain groups find certain words offensive or derogatory then why not say it in a way that doesn’t ruffle feathers? It’s not gonna change the world but it can make this community a bit more comfortable.

Secondly, I am sorry for your loss. Losing friends and love ones is always rough and having a long road trip to boot would be a lot to take in. I completely agree about the headlights though I am not sure how much of it is people being inconsiderate as opposed to everybody in America driving SUVs and Monster Trucks with super bright LED Headlights. As someone who drives a normal car I have found that headlights on these taller vehicle tend to unfortunately align more with my rearview mirror than with lower portions of my car making it very difficult to see and then when you factor in the ultra bright bulbs I don’t even think most of these fellow travelers even have their brights on I just think it’s the way these vehicles are set up.
TLK, thank you for your thoughtful reply. I’m all for everyone on this forum to be considerate and respectful to all members. That, in large part, is why N&G is my favorite site, bar none, on the ‘net. I didn’t realize that the phrase “Gypsy curse” could be construed, especially among friends, as derogatory towards a proud culture. I admit to being shortsighted and will learn from this conversation. I am positive @Joe Mac meant no denigration towards anyone and I didn’t find it to be offensive. Now I know better. It’s good to learn and be more aware.
As for the lighting issue, I admit I was driving my wife’s Saab low rider pocket rocket and that it is a victim of modern automotive lighting design. But when I pass someone on their right because they think they own the passing lane at less than the speed limit and see that they have extremely bright lights plus powerful accessory driving lights that they don’t dim as they are being passed I can only think they don’t give a rip for a fellow traveler. This occurred several times along with other obvious instances of failure to observe what used to be common courtesy. Outright and obvious disrespect can have consequences far greater than an unintentional slight when voiced amongst friends and that was all that was meant in my previous post.
Thank you also for your sharing my loss. This is another example of why I love N&G.
I apologize for using so much bandwidth about off topic subjects. So with that, back to the @Mather thread. 🤪

Yeah my old car was like yours but since it went up in a plume of smoke the new one just had that built into it! It’s kinda weird, if someone is close behind you at night it’s like everything in your rear view is in shade of green like a commodore 64 monitor!
That’s not a feature… it’s a glitch in the matrix.

Are the jbls gonna go in the new listening room or are you gonna get Jubilees?
I refuse to answer this on the grounds that it may incriminate me at a later date.
The words "JBLs" and "Jubilees" sound very very similar. If you mumble when you discuss the "Jubilees" you intend to put in the new listening room, then later you can honestly say that you discussed this with your partner many times, and received implicit approval.

The words "JBLs" and "Jubilees" sound very very similar. If you mumble when you discuss the "Jubilees" you intend to put in the new listening room, then later you can honestly say that you discussed this with your partner many times, and received implicit approval.
I think my current plan is to repeatedly show her just hideous looking speakers that I plan to use in the livingroom, in place of the JBLs moving to the garage. Then when she says absolutely not to all of them I throw my hands up in mock disgust and announce that I GUESS I will leave the JBLs in the livingroom and will simply HAVE to get a different pair for the garage.

Then I point behind her while screaming "Oh my god what's that over there!" And when she turns to look that's when the delivery van comes racing in and the movers Benny Hill the Jubilees off the back of the truck and into the garage before she notices.
Then I put really saavy disguises on them and when she sees them I tell her they're couple of friends from out of town looking to party.

20230511_163736.jpg

Last edited:
Apologies for derailing the topic of the moment, but I just wanted to take the opportunity to remind folks how great Keith at Darlington Labs is to deal with. My MP-7 was taking longer than expected to ship so I reached out to him. He was prompt and courteous with his reply. It turns out the delay works significantly in my favor and that Keith is very generous.

Apologies for derailing the topic of the moment, but I just wanted to take the opportunity to remind folks how great Keith at Darlington Labs is to deal with. My MP-7 was taking longer than expected to ship so I reached out to him. He was prompt and courteous with his reply. It turns out the delay works significantly in my favor and that Keith is very generous.
No no please, derailing from my derailing means by process of elimination the thread is now finally back on track.

I don't have any experience with Keith personally but I've heard good things in terms of his customer service.

No no please, derailing from my derailing means by process of elimination the thread is now finally back on track.

I don't have any experience with Keith personally but I've heard good things in terms of his customer service.

He always seemed really sound and open to questions when he used to pop his head in here every now and again.

Okay I need help with a friends Fluance. As far as I know these things do not have adjustable VTA but his table is riding super tail low with a Nag cart. He's just using the stock platter and rubber mat that comes with it. It's the stock arm and headshell. It looks to me like the headshell is dipping at the connection point but he says it's locked in and secure. Does anyone know how the hell you would fix this without VTA or removing the mat which is supposed to be used on this table as far as I know. Like it looks like the platter is about a cm too high. But how is that possible.

IMG-20231224-WA0002.jpg

Okay I need help with a friends Fluance. As far as I know these things do not have adjustable VTA but his table is riding super tail low with a Nag cart. He's just using the stock platter and rubber mat that comes with it. It's the stock arm and headshell. It looks to me like the headshell is dipping at the connection point but he says it's locked in and secure. Does anyone know how the hell you would fix this without VTA or removing the mat which is supposed to be used on this table as far as I know. Like it looks like the platter is about a cm too high. But how is that possible.

View attachment 191244

Can you get a shim to lift the tonearm for the fluance? That’s what I had to do for my project. It’s odd that this has happened though, I can’t imagine a nag is deeper than a 2M so I’d be more concerned about what has caused the sag.

View attachment 191244
Hard to tell from the picture, but it looks like the head shell is bent or damaged where it connects to the tonearm.

Hard to tell from the picture, but it looks like the head shell is bent or damaged where it connects to the tonearm.
That's honestly what I thought too. We looked it up and apparently the Nag needs a much higher VTA and this particular Fluance model is not compatible so that would explain it to a degree. But I still feel like that headshell is effed up. He's got three kids under like 8 years old so it's possible they jacked it.

Back