Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

Oh I'm sorry! I'm sorry! Isn't this the equipment thread? I didn't realize I couldn't talk about equipment in the equipment thread, maybe I should go make a "Mathers Big Bad Thread of Awesome Ideas" in order to house all this equipment talk and pie in the sky garage listening room things! Hallelujah! Holy shit! Where's the Tylenol?

Last edited:
Sorry I can't even remember if I did answer that one. It's all a blur. I like the current stands, and if it came to it raising the screen it's doable, it's a pain but it's not too bad. I'd probably go that route. Those wooden ones you sent are quite nice but instead of spending the money I'd probably just go the screen route. I'm scouring online at Canuck Audio Mart and all the locals for anything used from Luxman/Accuphase/McIntosh/Lyngdorf that can compare to the Levinson at a similar price that I've been offered for the 5805 before I make a final decision. But in general anything on par is far far far above my budget up here. There's more available in your neck of the woods but after shipping, exchange, duty... It's pretty much double what I'd be paying for the Levinson. There's two things I'm considering in case I fire everything up and discover that it just can't overcome the room deficiencies without room correction. One, I can resell for more than it cost me most likely so that shouldn't be a big issue. Second slightly more exciting prospect .. I've floated the idea to my wife to winterize and reno the inside of our back garage to turn it into a dedicated listening room.
View attachment 190967
Thats it there, current interior below.
View attachment 190968
It's 500 square feet, it's got it's own breaker, I have to look into it but I think it's taken from the house mains, not certain. So it should have lots of power, pretty easy to insulate it and put some flooring and sound baffling down... a shitload of shelving for all the records and then the whole system goes in there along with the new amp. I'd be free to baffle it and do what I want to make things sound correct in there.

It's a bit of a long play and I'm not sure how quick I could do it, but it would give me an out if the amp doesn't work in the livingroom. I just save it for in there.

I love this plan.. absolutely love it!

Oh I'm sorry! I'm sorry! Isn't this the equipment thread? I didn't realize I couldn't talk about equipment in the equipment thread, maybe I should go make a "Mathers Big Bad Thread of Awesome Ideas" in order to house all this equipment talk and pie in the sky garage listening room talk! Hallelujah! Holy shit! Where's the Tylenol?
As someone who lives in an apartment with someone above, below, and to the side of me, I understand your listening issues from a different perspective and really enjoy being witness to the process. The tinkering is part of the fun.

Oh I'm sorry! I'm sorry! Isn't this the equipment thread? I didn't realize I couldn't talk about equipment in the equipment thread, maybe I should go make a "Mathers Big Bad Thread of Awesome Ideas" in order to house all this equipment talk and pie in the sky garage listening room things! Hallelujah! Holy shit! Where's the Tylenol?
Rock on man!
We're just here for Mather after dark.

Thank you

Please don’t take anything I say even remotely seriously. It’s mostly just teasing, post away, I love living vicariously through your buys and figuring out how all this stuff works!

Also fancy mens sheds are great. I was always jealous of men and their sheds when I was a child lol!

Please don’t take anything I say even remotely seriously. It’s mostly just teasing, post away, I love living vicariously through your buys and figuring out how all this stuff works!

Also fancy mens sheds are great. I was always jealous of men and their sheds when I was a child lol!
I'm just kidding. I know I'm being ridiculous. I've had very little sleep this week.

Ok, so I looked at my shed, that’s not going to work. So I just need to move both my kids into the home office/guest room, then knock down the wall that separates their rooms. Some drywall, new door, noise isolation.

I’ll also need to fit a Murphy bed, as my family will be pissed and not let me into the rest of the house. That’s ok. What color should I do the walls?

Personality, I think of the room itself as part of the equipment. If I were to spend $100K for upgrades, I’d spend 80 on the room and 20 on gear. Much better sonic results that way.

The problem I have is that room treatments are fucking ugly, I’ve never seen any that I’d ever remotely choose to have on my wall for any other reason and I absolutely refuse to compromise on my living spaces being pleasant living spaces, because atmosphere adds to the experience and enjoyment of music every bit as much as the sound itself.

The problem I have is that room treatments are fucking ugly, I’ve never seen any that I’d ever remotely choose to have on my wall for any other reason and I absolutely refuse to compromise on my living spaces being pleasant living spaces, because atmosphere adds to the experience and enjoyment of music every bit as much as the sound itself.
I think these ones that come in different colours and wood types are actually pretty nice.

VINYLSOUND-wavewood-diffuser-ultra_KMII_1600x.pngVINYLSOUND-Multifuser_DC3-WHITE_1600x.png
Second one also comes in wood...
vinyl_sound_-_Multifuser_Wood_64-natural_wood_1600x.png

I think these ones that come in different colours and wood types are actually pretty nice.

View attachment 191007View attachment 191008

The first one relatively, I hate the second one, especially on a ceiling, but the question I always ask myself is:

“Would I put something like that on my wall out of choice if it wasn’t a room treatment”

And that’s always given my me my answer.

What I potentially would do if I was building from scratch, and I could afford it, is use the sort of insulation in wall and plasterboard that a recording studio might.

Last edited:

View attachment 191007View attachment 191008
Second one also comes in wood...
View attachment 191009
The A/V RoomService PolyFlex diffusers are proven to be much more effective at taming sound than those pictured here. They are also much less expensive. They don’t look great but if a better sounding room is your goal and aesthetics are secondary then these should be considered.

The first one relatively, I hate the second one, especially on a ceiling, but the question I always ask myself is:

“Would I put something like that on my wall out of choice if it wasn’t a room treatment”

And that’s always given my me my answer.

What I potentially would do if I was building from scratch, and I could afford it, is use the sort of insulation in wall and as plasterboard that a recording studio might.
I think to 99.9 percent of people the second one just looks like abstract art so I don't mind it. But it would be a BITCH to clean.

I'm sorry but that first one is HOW MUCH?

$500+ Canadian for some CNC'd veneer and some foam glued to the back?!

Gimme a $50 Home Depot gift card and I'll ship you something that looks about as nice.
He’s gonna pay people to put walls in his shed. I’m just saying.

Back