Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

My local Record shop also sells vintage receivers/Amps guitars, Etc, and Sunday the owner DM’d me they got a Marantz 4300 in in almost pristine condition. He’s asking $1000 but I can trade in some equipment and records to bring the price down, but my question is Is The Marantz 4300 any good? I’ve listened to a few YouTube reviews and it sounds pretty good but at that price I could get other Marantz receivers for cheaper. Any advice you guys give is always appreciated

My local Record shop also sells vintage receivers/Amps guitars, Etc, and Sunday the owner DM’d me they got a Marantz 4300 in in almost pristine condition. He’s asking $1000 but I can trade in some equipment and records to bring the price down, but my question is Is The Marantz 4300 any good? I’ve listened to a few YouTube reviews and it sounds pretty good but at that price I could get other Marantz receivers for cheaper. Any advice you guys give is always appreciated

The Marantz 4300 is a quadrophonic receiver. These aren't nearly as popular as the 2200 series stereo models. $1000 is highway robbery. I actually wouldn't buy that at any price.

I’ve been trying to decide on a cassette deck to add to the system forever, but I can’t decide on one because about the only place I can find them is on eBay. So unless I know for sure that it’s a good value with regards to price/quality, I’m hesitant to pull the trigger.

Buying vintage equipment on eBay is always a crapshoot because we’re talking units that are generally 25+ years old for the newer stuff and will likely need service yet prices like it’s already been serviced. So if I’m not reasonably well versed already, it makes it almost impossible to make a selection.

I’ve looked for new, but damn near the only thing I can find is this Tascam CD-A580 unit which looks ok on the surface, and would fulfill the CD player role I’m looking to add as well, but unlike the kitchen where I abhor a unitasker, multirole audio equipment rarely satisfies.

Anyone got any advice or input? Am I making this more difficult than it has to be? (Probably, but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ) @HiFi Guy (or anyone else) help!

I am currently messing around with adding my Home Theater sub to my TT set up.

I'm currently getting it dialed in to where I just don't notice it....but I don't want to have to turn it up when I watch a movie. But so far it sounds pretty good.

Testing with Beastie Boys - Hello Nasty.

I have the RCA cables coming from the RECORD OUT ports on the Marantz to the line in ports on the sub.

20190529_103353.jpg

Is there anything wrong with this? I've actually never tried to add a sub to a 2.0 stereo setup.

Do you have a pre-out? The Record out is fixed level and won't adjust with the volume set on the speakers.

Not on this PM6006.

Is there a easy way to connect the speaker outs to the RCA ports on the sub?

Maybe something like these?

Not on this PM6006.

Is there a easy way to connect the speaker outs to the RCA ports on the sub?

Maybe something like these?

You’d either need a sub that has a specific high level input or a transformer like this that will convert the speaker output to something right for the sub.

You’d either need a sub that has a specific high level input or a transformer like this that will convert the speaker output to something right for the sub.

Pretty sure the L / R line ins on the sub are high level inputs.

Pretty sure the L / R line ins on the sub are high level inputs.

If they’re RCA I really doubt it! It’s usually sold as a specific extra feature of the sub, comes with a special cable to go from the sub to the speaker posts and is in addition to the RCA/XLR input which is for the pre-out or a sub out on an amp. Check your manual for what it should be connected to!

So, I’ve just broken my headphones, so need a replacement. I was using noise cancelling Audio Technicas with the option to switch cables. I like both options as I can help my tinnitus by turning down the volume, and can use a microphone cable to use it with my phone. Does anyone have any suggestions? Happy to spend “decent” money to get something good.

If they’re RCA I really doubt it! It’s usually sold as a specific extra feature of the sub, comes with a special cable to go from the sub to the speaker posts and is in addition to the RCA/XLR input which is for the pre-out or a sub out on an amp. Check your manual for what it should be connected to!

Ok...I get it. I'll keep this sub set up for my Home Theater and look for one with high level inputs.

Ok...I get it. I'll keep this sub set up for my Home Theater and look for one with high level inputs.

Either that or get a transformer to go in between to drop the voltage so it’s safe for the subwoofer to use.

I know REL subs have high level inputs and I’ve read decent reviews but never sampled one. I’ll let someone else jump in and give you a more informed recommendation!

So, I’ve just broken my headphones, so need a replacement. I was using noise cancelling Audio Technicas with the option to switch cables. I like both options as I can help my tinnitus by turning down the volume, and can use a microphone cable to use it with my phone. Does anyone have any suggestions? Happy to spend “decent” money to get something good.

Have a look at the Bowers and Wilkins PX and PSB M4U8- they’re the best of those type I’ve tested.

i think upgrading the cartridge on my technics 1210 is the next step for me. i`ve been using the shure n44-7 ever since i had turntables. but now i dont dj anymore, i want to make a switch.
can you give me some pointers as in what brands and models to look into ? rough budget 200$ or so.
thanks

i think upgrading the cartridge on my technics 1210 is the next step for me. i`ve been using the shure n44-7 ever since i had turntables. but now i dont dj anymore, i want to make a switch.
can you give me some pointers as in what brands and models to look into ? rough budget 200$ or so.
thanks

Grado Gold2 $260
Ortofon 2m Blue $236
Grado Silver2 $225
Audio Technica ATVM95SH $199
Grado Red2 $170
Audio Technica ATVM95ML $169

There are discount sources for the Grados and Ortofon.

Grado Gold2 $260
Ortofon 2m Blue $236
Grado Silver2 $225
Audio Technica ATVM95SH $199
Grado Red2 $170
Audio Technica ATVM95ML $169

There are discount sources for the Grados and Ortofon.
thanks. would you say that they are significant upgrades from the shure system?

I’ve been trying to decide on a cassette deck to add to the system forever, but I can’t decide on one because about the only place I can find them is on eBay. So unless I know for sure that it’s a good value with regards to price/quality, I’m hesitant to pull the trigger.

Buying vintage equipment on eBay is always a crapshoot because we’re talking units that are generally 25+ years old for the newer stuff and will likely need service yet prices like it’s already been serviced. So if I’m not reasonably well versed already, it makes it almost impossible to make a selection.

I’ve looked for new, but damn near the only thing I can find is this Tascam CD-A580 unit which looks ok on the surface, and would fulfill the CD player role I’m looking to add as well, but unlike the kitchen where I abhor a unitasker, multirole audio equipment rarely satisfies.

Anyone got any advice or input? Am I making this more difficult than it has to be? (Probably, but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ) @HiFi Guy (or anyone else) help!

Nakamichi is a solid brand in the cassette deck world. Try to find a Nak in good shape . The higher end Teac’s were decent as well.
Also the Sony ES Decks are usually quite good and user friendly .

Back