Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

I found an unrestored 301 when I was crate digging with @AnthonyI a few years ago. It was $1700 and with unknown costs to refurbish, but an arm and plinth, etc- I let it go. I probably shouldn’t have.

I’ve seen working 401s for around €900 but a full refurbishment is €750 and then upgrading the platter and bearing to brass is much more again and then minimum €500 for a plinth and probably €2500 for an arm lol!

I found an unrestored 301 when I was crate digging with @AnthonyI a few years ago. It was $1700 and with unknown costs to refurbish, buy an arm and plinth, etc- I let it go. I probably shouldn’t have.

I’ve seen working 401s for around €900 but a full refurbishment is €750 and then upgrading the platter and bearing to brass is much more again and then minimum €500 for a plinth and probably €2500 for an arm lol!
While I'm not really poking around gear anymore, vintage always simmers in the back of my brain, but then the cost list starts building and it's an unfortunate pass for me. Maybe someday out of nowhere I'll come across a "barn find" ;)

While I'm not really poking around gear anymore, vintage always simmers in the back of my brain, but then the cost list starts building and it's an unfortunate pass for me. Maybe someday out of nowhere I'll come across a "barn find" ;)

Yeah I suppose at some point I’d like a plinth style table with a separate arm but you’re right the costs do add up. I also just really get a kick out of researching things and figuring them out, even if I never follow through. Also said the model sp10r is €8500 and I’d still have to buy the plinth and the arm so that does make the Garard and old sp10 not that expensive after all.

Yeah I suppose at some point I’d like a plinth style table with a separate arm but you’re right the costs do add up. I also just really get a kick out of researching things and figuring them out, even if I never follow through. Also said the model sp10r is €8500 and I’d still have to buy the plinth and the arm so that does make the Garard and old sp10 not that expensive after all.
I’m happy sticking with my Lenco. Gives me the retro feel without being stupidly expensive.

I’m fine with my Luxman. It looks “vintage-ish” without the refurb cost, while being exceedingly modern underneath.

I’m serious. That thing is beautiful. Read the review and it’ll tell you what needs to be oiled.

And that 12” SME will give super low tracking error.
Perhaps you should buy it and plan the roadtrip. Or maybe someone local could hold it for you. And then you plan the roadtrip. :D

Back