Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

My peeps, has anyone had any experience or insight with the Tekton Pendragon tower speakers??

Long story short, these came up for sale locally at what I believe is a "worth looking" price point of $1000 OBO. I'm not familiar with the speakers, but what little I looked up seemed promising, they are beasts size wise, but I can make it work if all the other boxes are checked, lol. I found out last night the seller will be out of town for the week, but I'm hoping to wrap my ears around them to see what's, what.

I've consulted the guru, but figured it was worth asking the masses for any opinions..........good, bad or indifferent, since I have time.

As always, thanks for playing :)

Last edited:
My peeps, has anyone had any experience or insight with the Tekton Pendragon tower speakers??

Long story short, these came up for sale locally at what I believe is a "worth looking" price point or $1000 OBO. I'm not familiar with the speakers, but what little I looked up seemed promising, they are beasts size wise, but I can make it work if all the other boxes are checked, lol. I found out last night the seller will be out of town for the week, but I'm hoping to wrap my ears around them to see what's, what.

I've consulted the guru, but figured it was worth asking the masses for any opinions..........good, bad or indifferent, since I have time.

I haven't heard the Pendragon, but I have heard the Enzo XL: Enzo XL
They were being powered by the Raven Nighthawk at Lone Star Audio Fest.

Nothing particularly wrong with them, but I felt at the under $2K price point I preferred my JBL's. Maybe not as much slam, but also wide sound stage at half the footprint. If you're just looking for a second system where you have a good amount of space, it might be worth a shot. Personally I wouldn't spend my money on Tekton's for anything more than an experiment, and they would need to be at a price where I felt comfortable that I could move them quickly and locally.

Long story short, these came up for sale locally at what I believe is a "worth looking" price point of $1000 OBO. I'm not familiar with the speakers, but what little I looked up seemed promising, they are beasts size wise, but I can make it work if all the other boxes are checked, lol. I found out last night the seller will be out of town for the week, but I'm hoping to wrap my ears around them to see what's, what.

That ad copy is. uh, something.

Long story short, these came up for sale locally at what I believe is a "worth looking" price point or $1000 OBO. I'm not familiar with the speakers, but what little I looked up seemed promising, they are beasts size wise, but I can make it work if all the other boxes are checked, lol. I found out last night the seller will be out of town for the week, but I'm hoping to wrap my ears around them to see what's, what.

Ive heard the Tekton Pendragon and a few other Tekton models. For me they are not linear enough and personally i found the midrange to colored. They are a $2000 speaker at the end of the day and naturally and not "Full Range" and thus will reveal limitations, but I would NOT get rid of your Polk LSiM's for them no way...........................just my opinion of course💃:cool:

Ive heard the Tekton Pendragon and a few other Tekton models. For me they are not linear enough and personally i found the midrange to colored. They are a $2000 speaker at the end of the day and naturally and not "Full Range" and thus will reveal limitations, but I would NOT get rid of your Polk LSiM's for them no way...........................just my opinion of course💃:cool:
No, no, the Polk's aren't going anywhere. Speakers are a little ways off at the moment, but these came up and again, at the price point, looked like they were worth a gander. I'm still looking at $2K-ish options, currently still leaning towards the Zu's (Yes, a little more then 2K-ish, lol), but I'm hoping to nail down close to an endgame speaker at this point. The Polk's will be moved to the second system ;)

No, no, the Polk's aren't going anywhere. Speakers are a little ways off at the moment, but these came up and again, at the price point, looked like they were worth a gander. I'm still looking at $2K-ish options, currently still leaning towards the Zu's (Yes, a little more then 2K-ish, lol), but I'm hoping to nail down close to an endgame speaker at this point. The Polk's will be moved to the second system ;)

ahhhh ok................................wait for the ZU's :)

Could anyone tell me about Dynavox (pretty sure Chinese) Tube Amps. I was recommended the Dynavox VR-20 as an entry into having a Tube Amp Dynavox: VR-20 Stereo-Röhrenvollverstärker

Seems like they have decent reviews and the price is about 400€. Can't imagine myself spending much more than this on a power amp at the moment anyway. It's for a small living room mainly for a single listener or two people sitting on a couch not far from the speakers. Just curious about this brand.

Could anyone tell me about Dynavox (pretty sure Chinese) Tube Amps. I was recommended the Dynavox VR-20 as an entry into having a Tube Amp Dynavox: VR-20 Stereo-Röhrenvollverstärker

Seems like they have decent reviews and the price is about 400€. Can't imagine myself spending much more than this on a power amp at the moment anyway. It's for a small living room mainly for a single listener or two people sitting on a couch not far from the speakers. Just curious about this brand.

It's a 10 watt per channel amp, so you'll want some pretty efficient speakers.

Yes that's exactly what the guy told me. Would the ELAC b6 that you previously recommended me cut it here?
Triangle has been getting since solid praise from reviews, and has a bookshelf speakers that are 90db. I haven't heard them, but that spec might be enough to be driven by a 10 watt amp. That's the bare minimum I'd shoot for efficiency wise.

Triangle has been getting since solid praise from reviews, and has a bookshelf speakers that are 90db. I haven't heard them, but that spec might be enough to be driven by a 10 watt amp. That's the bare minimum I'd shoot for efficiency wise.

Triangle stuff is generally outstandingly sensitive- I've been delighted by the members of the Esprit EZ members I've listened to, unusually for high sensitivity speakers, they are are (to use a non technical term) bastard fast.

what's the best affordable record weight? (<$50 or so).

Trying to think of things family members can get me for xmas and I've always wanted to use a weight.

My needle is giving me trouble. I got my turntable second hand so I dont know how long its been in actice use. Its a Shure needle and it seems they have been discontinued. Can i buy any needle or do I need to find another Shure needle?

what's the best affordable record weight? (<$50 or so).

Trying to think of things family members can get me for xmas and I've always wanted to use a weight.

I’m not sure you even need to spend that much. I use a Big Ben Record Weight, which ran me $20 or so.

My needle is giving me trouble. I got my turntable second hand so I dont know how long its been in actice use. Its a Shure needle and it seems they have been discontinued. Can i buy any needle or do I need to find another Shure needle?

A NOS Shure stylus is likely to be expensive now. I'd get an aftermarket replacement from LP Gear. If you want the best aftermarket stylus you can get, look into a Japanese JICO replacement- not inexpensive, but they are the best out there IMO.

A weight is different than a clamp, correct? Clamp you have to screw on the top versus a weight you just plop on top?

depends on the table. A weight does just sit on top. If you have a threaded spindle there is a type of clap that screws down on that. If you don’t you plop it on the record and then tighten it until it grips the spindle.

Back