Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

@The Denmarkian Wonder if you have access to be able to fill/cap them, you can try using inexpensive fine, dry play sand while it is season now (give it a few extra days in the sun to dry first). Some also use lead shot or rice. You can also do this with speaker stands if you have them. This adds mass and helps with vibrations and isolation.

You can also try these inexpensive Ikea butcher blocks under your turntable for a little extra isolation.

I will presume you are in your new space now ? If you have wooden floors and are having problems with vibrations I would think about a Wall shelf for your table like these two:

Amazon product ASIN B07XP9NVKF
If you are handy, you can go DIY. I made my own from heavy duty wall brackets from Home depot (attached to MDF on the wall), and MDF, or the ikea Aptitlig mentioned above, or maple blocks for shelving.
Rice, you say?

There's a hi-fi rack i'm interested in and it said you could fill the legs with these anti-vibration metal balls:

...but they don't ship to denmark and they're quite expensive. So i was hoping someone could tell me if it made any difference and if there was a cheaper alternative, which there is 🙂 Do you just pour the rice into the legs or do you put a plastic bag inside first?

Already got the chopping block for my turntable, amp and CD player.

I am and i'm no way close to being finished with my "entertainment room" due to delays and wasted days (like today). They are concrete floors with a thin "wood panels"

Rice, you say?

There's a hi-fi rack i'm interested in and it said you could fill the legs with these anti-vibration metal balls:

...but they don't ship to denmark and they're quite expensive. So i was hoping someone could tell me if it made any difference and if there was a cheaper alternative, which there is 🙂 Do you just pour the rice into the legs or do you put a plastic bag inside first?

Already got the chopping block for my turntable, amp and CD player.

I am and i'm no way close to being finished with my "entertainment room" due to delays and wasted days (like today). They are concrete floors with a thin "wood panels"
The main goal is to add mass to create isolation and dampen. The material choice is debatable. Here is one article to read.

The main goal is to add mass to create isolation and dampen. The material choice is debatable. Here is one article to read.
Thanks for the link! I guess i can add a big bag of rice to my shopping list.

I’ll have a Jalfrezi and Garlic Naan too please…
Oh, for crying ou...fine! But that's it!

*5 min late*

f0c12ed8381702af0b212a9b655e458a.gif

Currently eyeing upgrading my Grado Opus 3 to a Hana SL and as a result eyeing upgrade paths in my system as a whole right now. I feel the Opus hasn't had the bite my ears desire. Everything sounds good with the Opus coming out of the Lintons but not much sounds glistening, life like, and sharp. Also find the Opus 3 does a sub par job on the inner grooves on my rig, even after many realignments. If the Hana SL doesn't do the trick as far as sonic profile goes I'll probably ditch the Lintons for KLH Model 5's, Dali's or Buchardt S400 Mk2s. I know a lot of people have mentioned the Lintons lack clarity so I wonder if thats ultimately what I'm experiencing. If that Hana SL doesn't eliminate the majority of inner groove issues that I've experienced with the Opus I'll probably just say this hobby isn't for me and sell everything and get a nice fancy DAC lmfao. I find IGD to be absolutely insufferable!

Anyways, curious what I should eye upgrading first. My phone stage (Musical Fidelity LX-LPS) or my amp (NAD C 316BEE). Any immediate opinions towards what would get me closer to my goal of having a system with "bite"?

If you’re going to be considering an SL the phono stage will have to be swapped, it doesn’t have the right settings. You could of course go SH with what you have.
So it seems after some googling that low input MC carts are the best sounding if you have a phono that supports them. Considering my phone does not, what seems like the best option for a phono stage in my set up? Is the Insight Sutherland an endgame phono for me? I see theres a Rega phono thats pretty highly lauded under 1k.

So it seems after some googling that low input MC carts are the best sounding if you have a phono that supports them. Considering my phone does not, what seems like the best option for a phono stage in my set up? Is the Insight Sutherland an endgame phono for me? I see theres a Rega phono thats pretty highly lauded under 1k.
I'm just gonna throw this out there. I see no reason why a simple cart change to something a little more technical and detail oriented shouldn't solve your issue without any need for a massive component upgrade.

I really like my Musical Fidelity MX VYNL. The distribution of them in North America seems to have gone a bit wonky the last couple of years. The insight is a very good option based on forum experience, especially if you can get a used deal. I don’t have any experience of rega phonos I’m afraid.

Different MCs will require difference impedence settings so a well reviewed one with a good range of options there is definitely a good call. If your looking at the SL in particular it needs a minimum of 400 ohms impedance but myself and @AnthonyI both prefer it at 800 ohms. YMMV there of course.

Also I agree with @Mather above that if you’re happy with your phono I wouldn’t just throw it out to change the cart. I’d try a new cart that was compatible with it. If you’ve the itch for a new phono and want to try a new cart too then that’s a totally different ball game.

I love my Insight.

Currently eyeing upgrading my Grado Opus 3 to a Hana SL and as a result eyeing upgrade paths in my system as a whole right now. I feel the Opus hasn't had the bite my ears desire. Everything sounds good with the Opus coming out of the Lintons but not much sounds glistening, life like, and sharp. Also find the Opus 3 does a sub par job on the inner grooves on my rig, even after many realignments. If the Hana SL doesn't do the trick as far as sonic profile goes I'll probably ditch the Lintons for KLH Model 5's, Dali's or Buchardt S400 Mk2s. I know a lot of people have mentioned the Lintons lack clarity so I wonder if thats ultimately what I'm experiencing. If that Hana SL doesn't eliminate the majority of inner groove issues that I've experienced with the Opus I'll probably just say this hobby isn't for me and sell everything and get a nice fancy DAC lmfao. I find IGD to be absolutely insufferable!

Anyways, curious what I should eye upgrading first. My phone stage (Musical Fidelity LX-LPS) or my amp (NAD C 316BEE). Any immediate opinions towards what would get me closer to my goal of having a system with "bite"?
When I want what you are describing, a cleaner sound I usually turn to digital. I see Harbeths (or variation of) in your future. Not cheap though. You had these similiar issues with your previous system/table as well ? What was the common denominator ? The pre, amp, cheap cables ?

Last edited:

My understanding is that IGD can be caused by tonearm geometry as well as cartridge issues. What turntable are you using again? Getting the exact right match of a cartridge to tonearm/turntable/preamp can be a pain. For my Traveler turntable with a 10” tonearm, the Hana SL has been a match from heaven to my ears.

The Hana SL is probably my all time favorite cart, but I have to agree with @Mather and @Joe Mac, there are a lot of great carts out there, work with the phono you have and I'm sure you can find a good fit without spending the extra. I gotta be honest, I'm still sticking to my guns on the Goldring 1042 being the best thing in MM that bests entry level MC's. Its a great cartridge.

The Hana SL is probably my all time favorite cart, but I have to agree with @Mather and @Joe Mac, there are a lot of great carts out there, work with the phono you have and I'm sure you can find a good fit without spending the extra. I gotta be honest, I'm still sticking to my guns on the Goldring 1042 being the best thing in MM that bests entry level MC's. Its a great cartridge.
At US $600 for the Goldring 1042, it looks like a face off with the $750 Hana SH is warranted.

But it also sounds as if you might have a slight preference of the Goldring to the Hana EL at $450, @AnthonyI ? Of course, the EH would be the better match for @Ghost.

At US $600 for the Goldring 1042, it looks like a face off with the $750 Hana SH is warranted.

But it also sounds as if you might have a slight preference of the Goldring to the Hana EL at $450, @AnthonyI ? Of course, the EH would be the better match for @Ghost.
Oof don't pay $600

Goldrings are much cheaper when purchased from UK shops like Analogue Seduction, after VAT is removed

And even cheaper from Juno, although it's out of stock at the moment
And don't forget to ask Juno for a discount, they tell you to right on the page!

Back