Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

I have a friend who will be installing wall speakers in one room of his house. Assume he’s not a raging audiophile, and that he’d be willing to pay for good quality. Recommendations? (Don’t know much more than what I’ve written.)

I have a friend who will be installing wall speakers in one room of his house. Assume he’s not a raging audiophile, and that he’d be willing to pay for good quality. Recommendations? (Don’t know much more than what I’ve written.)
I've got Revel in ceiling in two rooms and I find they do a good job.. But that's my only experience with in wall stuff.

I've got Revel in ceiling in two rooms and I find they do a good job.. But that's my only experience with in wall stuff.
Looks like Revel offers a nice line of in-wall speakers. Any other recommendations?

Looks like Revel offers a nice line of in-wall speakers. Any other recommendations?
Well mine are of the in ceiling variety, I have a pair of the Revel C383 in my livingroom and another pair in my basement. They've got directionally adjustable tweeters and 8 inch woofers for some pretty good low end coverage. I've got them housed in acoustic in ceiling boxes called the Dynamat "Dynabox" to help with the sound. I have no other experience with in wall stuff. So I honestly don't know how they compare to other mid range stuff. Obviously you can see from the Revel speaker line that it covers a pretty wide price range. I'm not sure what your friend wants to spend but I'm happy with mine and install was pretty easy, they've gotta really solid mounting system and the magnetic grill covers are really clean and hold tight.

I'm sure there are others here (@displayname?) Who may have further suggestions?

Well mine are of the in ceiling variety, I have a pair of the Revel C383 in my livingroom and another pair in my basement. They've got directionally adjustable tweeters and 8 inch woofers for some pretty good low end coverage. I've got them housed in acoustic in ceiling boxes called the Dynamat "Dynabox" to help with the sound. I have no other experience with in wall stuff. So I honestly don't know how they compare to other mid range stuff. Obviously you can see from the Revel speaker line that it covers a pretty wide price range. I'm not sure what your friend wants to spend but I'm happy with mine and install was pretty easy, they've gotta really solid mounting system and the magnetic grill covers are really clean and hold tight.

I'm sure there are others here (@displayname?) Who may have further suggestions?
This is good information and I assume he wouldn't be looking to go beyond mid-range pricing on these, but the Revel line would give him that option. Thanks again, @Mather. I appreciate the recommendation.

Hi-Fi rack question: If it’s possible to fill the legs with something like small metal balls or something, does it make a difference?
@The Denmarkian Wonder if you have access to be able to fill/cap them, you can try using inexpensive fine, dry play sand while it is season now (give it a few extra days in the sun to dry first). Some also use lead shot or rice. You can also do this with speaker stands if you have them. This adds mass and helps with vibrations and isolation.

You can also try these inexpensive Ikea butcher blocks under your turntable for a little extra isolation.

I will presume you are in your new space now ? If you have wooden floors and are having problems with vibrations I would think about a Wall shelf for your table like these two:

Amazon product ASIN B07XP9NVKF
If you are handy, you can go DIY. I made my own from heavy duty wall brackets from Home depot (attached to MDF on the wall), and MDF, or the ikea Aptitlig mentioned above, or maple blocks for shelving.

Last edited:
Currently eyeing upgrading my Grado Opus 3 to a Hana SL and as a result eyeing upgrade paths in my system as a whole right now. I feel the Opus hasn't had the bite my ears desire. Everything sounds good with the Opus coming out of the Lintons but not much sounds glistening, life like, and sharp. Also find the Opus 3 does a sub par job on the inner grooves on my rig, even after many realignments. If the Hana SL doesn't do the trick as far as sonic profile goes I'll probably ditch the Lintons for KLH Model 5's, Dali's or Buchardt S400 Mk2s. I know a lot of people have mentioned the Lintons lack clarity so I wonder if thats ultimately what I'm experiencing. If that Hana SL doesn't eliminate the majority of inner groove issues that I've experienced with the Opus I'll probably just say this hobby isn't for me and sell everything and get a nice fancy DAC lmfao. I find IGD to be absolutely insufferable!

Anyways, curious what I should eye upgrading first. My phone stage (Musical Fidelity LX-LPS) or my amp (NAD C 316BEE). Any immediate opinions towards what would get me closer to my goal of having a system with "bite"?

Currently eyeing upgrading my Grado Opus 3 to a Hana SL and as a result eyeing upgrade paths in my system as a whole right now. I feel the Opus hasn't had the bite my ears desire. Everything sounds good with the Opus coming out of the Lintons but not much sounds glistening, life like, and sharp. Also find the Opus 3 does a sub par job on the inner grooves on my rig, even after many realignments. If the Hana SL doesn't do the trick as far as sonic profile goes I'll probably ditch the Lintons for KLH Model 5's, Dali's or Buchardt S400 Mk2s. I know a lot of people have mentioned the Lintons lack clarity so I wonder if thats ultimately what I'm experiencing. If that Hana SL doesn't eliminate the majority of inner groove issues that I've experienced with the Opus I'll probably just say this hobby isn't for me and sell everything and get a nice fancy DAC lmfao. I find IGD to be absolutely insufferable!

Anyways, curious what I should eye upgrading first. My phone stage (Musical Fidelity LX-LPS) or my amp (NAD C 316BEE). Any immediate opinions towards what would get me closer to my goal of having a system with "bite"?

If you’re going to be considering an SL the phono stage will have to be swapped, it doesn’t have the right settings. You could of course go SH with what you have.

Back