Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

I have a question about bi-wiring and a potential speaker upgrade.

My system currently connects from the amp to the speakers using a single +/- wire and the bridge in place.

My first question is does it make a big difference to bi-wire from a single amp? I do have the capacity to bi-wire from my amp, but I'm curious if it's worth it. My speakers are not high-end, but they pack a punch for what they are. These Mordaunt-Shorts have been wonderful for the price I paid in 2009.

Hypothetically, what if I ended up getting a pair of Warfedale Dentons (I'd want to stick with bookshelf speakers with the space I have)? I know there are lots of fans of Warfedale here, so I've been eyeing them as a potential next system upgrade. Should I plan on picking up cabling to bi-wire in that case?

Finally, are they a big upgrade from the Mordaunt-Shorts? I know the answer to that already, given the fanbase, but thought I'd ask in case someone has a more restrained opinion.

My system currently connects from the amp to the speakers using a single +/- wire and the bridge in place.

My first question is does it make a big difference to bi-wire from a single amp? I do have the capacity to bi-wire from my amp, but I'm curious if it's worth it. My speakers are not high-end, but they pack a punch for what they are. These Mordaunt-Shorts have been wonderful for the price I paid in 2009.

Hypothetically, what if I ended up getting a pair of Warfedale Dentons (I'd want to stick with bookshelf speakers with the space I have)? I know there are lots of fans of Warfedale here, so I've been eyeing them as a potential next system upgrade. Should I plan on picking up cabling to bi-wire in that case?

Finally, are they a big upgrade from the Mordaunt-Shorts? I know the answer to that already, given the fanbase, but thought I'd ask in case someone has a more restrained opinion.
My opinion is bi-wring and "shotgunning" both speaker cables to your amp posts would be minimal if any sonic improvement tbh. YMMV

That’s the theory. Whether it’s an audible difference is debatable. Probably like most things it matters more the further up you go. If you’re getting new speaker cable it’s not going to do any harm to get bi wire cable for the curiosity but it’s certainly not something mega that you have to do either.

My opinion is bi-wring and "shotgunning" both speaker cables to your amp posts would be minimal if any sonic improvement tbh. YMMV

That’s the theory. Whether it’s an audible difference is debatable. Probably like most things it matters more the further up you go. If you’re getting new speaker cable it’s not going to do any harm to get bi wire cable for the curiosity but it’s certainly not something mega that you have to do either.

You guys are confirming my suspicions. But damn it, I have all these unused connections on my amp and speakers ;)

The speaker cables I have are pretty good so I don't think I'd change them with new speakers. Unless there's a reason, that is. But the price on cables is insane sometimes. The ones I have are these with banana connectors on each side.

I have these:

You guys are confirming my suspicions. But damn it, I have all these unused connections on my amp and speakers ;)

The speaker cables I have are pretty good so I don't think I'd change them with new speakers. Unless there's a reason, that is. But the price on cables is insane sometimes. The ones I have are these with banana connectors on each side.

I have these:

Yeah I bought a set of blue Jean bi wire for my old speakers with 4 cables and 2 plugs amp end and 4 speaker end. Can also get with 4 each end. I can’t say that it sounded any better but it certainly didn’t sound any worse either.

Then 6 months later I bought expensive speakers that don’t bi wire lmao!

Anyone have any experiences or thoughts to share on the Uncle Kevin Super Prime Scout turntables? The white one is sexy..

Anyone have any experiences or thoughts to share on the Uncle Kevin Super Prime Scout turntables? The white one is sexy..

Every VPI I have ever heard is pretty sexy. If you wouild like to speak to Harry, man who designs them shoot me a dm.

I agree with what is generally begin said: bi-wiring will not produce any substantial upgrade in sound; at least not for mid- and low-end speakers. Maybe you'll start hearing some more benefits if you get into the $2000+ speaker ball-park.

I agree with what is generally begin said: bi-wiring will not produce any substantial upgrade in sound; at least not for mid- and low-end speakers. Maybe you'll start hearing some more benefits if you get into the $2000+ speaker ball-park.
Welcome to the forum!. Are potato socks like poutine for your feet ? If so I'm in!

I have the Denton 80th anniversary speakers and really like them especially for the price I paid. They were open box for $399 at Music Direct. I don’t have a comparison to your current speakers so not sure how to answer how big of an upgrade it is! Mine aren’t bi-wired either. I just am using the built-in crossover plates.

The other issue with bi-wiring is cost, especially if you're a bit cable-bananas, like I am. I could easily spend $200 on my speaker cables. So, I assume this means I'd have to spend $400 to bi-wire. Yikes! That being said, many people don't care that much about cables, so the investment in bi-wiring may not be too painful.

The other issue with bi-wiring is cost, especially if you're a bit cable-bananas, like I am. I could easily spend $200 on my speaker cables. So, I assume this means I'd have to spend $400. Yikes! That being said, many people don't care that much about cables, so the investment in bi-wiring may not be too painful.

I think with blu jeans cables the difference wasn’t too stark. The bi wire was about the same price as the subsequent normal cable I bought. Granted it was a thinner gauge (16 v 10) but they do make really nice cables for a tighter budget.

But if you’re going up the ladder definitely, the cheapest van den hul bi wire I found in my research was almost €800 a pair…

I think with blu jeans cables the difference wasn’t too stark. The bi wire was about the same price as the subsequent normal cable I bought. Granted it was a thinner gauge (16 v 10) but they do make really nice cables for a tighter budget.

But if you’re going up the ladder definitely, the cheapest van den hul bi wire I found in my research was almost €800 a pair…
OOOoohh.. I didn't even consider that one could buy specific Bi-wire cables for cheaper than merely getting 2 sets of cables. That makes it more appealing. Thanks for the info!

OOOoohh.. I didn't even consider that one could buy specific Bi-wire cables for cheaper than merely getting 2 sets of cables. That makes it more appealing. Thanks for the info!
Blue Jeans uses Canare Star quad cable in one jacket for bi-wiring. Most seem to like it whether BJC or buying in bulk and DIY for cheaper.

Blue Jeans uses Canare Star quad cable in one jacket for bi-wiring. Most seem to like it whether BJC or buying in bulk and DIY for cheaper.
Hmmm.. intriguing. I have two systems, and one of them has an amp and speakers that can be bi-wired; maybe I'll try these Blue Jeans you speak of.

Back