Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

@Englishbob You could always try the Darlington MM-6. Comes with a money back guarantee. Also, which Grado Gold do you have, a 2 or a 3?
How do you tell between a 2 and 3? I researched it and found a whole lot of nothing.
I'm still debating on the MM-6. I've been chatting with them but I'm naturally cautious especially when it comes to new products.

How do you tell between a 2 and 3? I researched it and found a whole lot of nothing.
I'm still debating on the MM-6. I've been chatting with them but I'm naturally cautious especially when it comes to new products.
You know the Music Hall MMF series is really a rebadged Pro-ject, right?

Does the Schiit Sol fancy you ? Under a grand including a really good Grado. They seemed to have worked out early kinks. But it is a gyro arm (which some find hard to use) and some do not care for the gyrodeck style looks. Schiit Audio: Audio Products Designed and Built in California

That new Technics some others have mentioned is coming out soon, but I think it will closer to 1500 and hard to get for while?
I'd still love to give this turntable a go :)

Also, I have a question - The U-Turn Orbit doesn't have a dedicated grounding knob like some of these other tables.

So, say I get the StudioDeck. It has the gold-plated RCA hookups in the back and the grounding knob next to it. The TT comes bundled with the RCA cables with the grounding wire attached. What do you do if you want to use other types of RCA cables? For instance, I have a Blue Jeans LC-1? Do I assume those ground internally without the use of an external ground wire?

I apologize if this is poorly worded or just totally misguided. I blame myself being electrically-challenged.

I have gone down the rabbit hole looking at record players. Trying to now stay below (or around) the $1000 mark. Some that I'm considering. Curious how people feel these stack up.
  • Rega Planar 3 w/ pre-mounted Elys2 - ~$1,145
  • Pioneer PLX-1000 - ~$700 sans cartridge
    • Gets points off, because I'm not crazy about how it looks aesthetically
    • Would also probably drop $250-$300 on a cartridge bringing this up closer to $1K
  • MoFi StudioDeck - $1,350 w/ StudioTracker cart, $1,500 w/ UltraTracker cart
    • My other components in my system likely aren't good enough to justify the UltraDeck price, and quite frankly, may not even justify this price. However, I love the look of this thing. It's just so damn expensive.
  • MusicHall MMF Line - 2.3 or 3.3? Not too familiar with these TBH
  • Pro-Ject Debut Carbon EVO - This is likely more of a lateral move to what I have now and sits firmly in "mid range" but it looks really nice, and there's hype around it.
FWIW, I made the move from a U-Turn to the StudioDeck with Ultratracker about a year and a half ago and could not be any more pleased. Purchased new from Music Direct, and another thing to potentially consider is I used their trade in program and sent in my U-Turn to go towards the price of the Studiodeck. It was a nice perk to be able to get some money off the new turntable and at least for me I was glad to not deal with the hassle of trying to sell it on my own, even if I could have potentially gotten more that way.

Also, I have a question - The U-Turn Orbit doesn't have a dedicated grounding knob like some of these other tables.

So, say I get the StudioDeck. It has the gold-plated RCA hookups in the back and the grounding knob next to it. The TT comes bundled with the RCA cables with the grounding wire attached. What do you do if you want to use other types of RCA cables? For instance, I have a Blue Jeans LC-1? Do I assume those ground internally without the use of an external ground wire?

I apologize if this is poorly worded or just totally misguided. I blame myself being electrically-challenged.
I just purchased a standalone ground wire from Blue Jeans. I think it was like $8-$10.

You can strip the factory ground cable from the RCA cables, so you could use it with the Blue Jeans cables. That’s what I did.

The UTurn grounds through the RCAs. You have to use a separate ground cable with the MoFi.

You can strip the factory ground cable from the RCA cables, so you could use it with the Blue Jeans cables. That’s what I did.

The UTurn grounds through the RCAs. You have to use a separate ground cable with the MoFi.
I don't know if I'd trust myself to not botch the cable surgery, unless you think it's easy. I mean, I do have wire strippers.

I don't know if I'd trust myself to not botch the cable surgery, unless you think it's easy. I mean, I do have wire strippers.
It is as easy as @HiFi Guy depicts it and in the end, it's not something that's going to break anything, it's just a wire, any wire will do......I think you can handle it ;)

FWIW, I made the move from a U-Turn to the StudioDeck with Ultratracker about a year and a half ago and could not be any more pleased. Purchased new from Music Direct, and another thing to potentially consider is I used their trade in program and sent in my U-Turn to go towards the price of the Studiodeck. It was a nice perk to be able to get some money off the new turntable and at least for me I was glad to not deal with the hassle of trying to sell it on my own, even if I could have potentially gotten more that way.
How much did you get from the trade up program (like % from initial price)? I am thinking of trading up my pre whenever I feel ready to go for the 20/20, and as you said, it avoids the hassle of selling it yourself.

Back