Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

Good question. I guess TT only.
I think in that price range there's going to be a lot of personal preferences involved. All 3 you mentioned are great decks for that price pool, which cart do you like better, which looks better to you, there isn't really a clear cut "winner" so to speak, and that's not a bad thing, you can just see which one checks the most boxes for you.

That being said, I do always have to recommend the PLX-1000 when you get in and around this price point, keep in mind it does not come with a cartridge, but I love the TT. You can always make due with the onboard pre of the Onkyo and save up for something "much" better ;)

I'm sure others will chime in.

Hi all,

So for a variety of reasons, I'm thinking of upgrading my U-Turn Orbit that I've had since May 2017.

So at this point, I'm working with:
  • U-Turn Orbit Plus w/ built-in preamp
  • Onkyo A-9010 Integrated Amplifier
  • KEF Q150 Bookshelf Pair
The Onkyo A-9010 technically has a phono preamp, but I assume that's not ideal. So I'm looking at getting a new turntable in the $400-$600 price range and a preamp.

So that basically leads me to either the Fluance RT85 or the Pro-Ject Debut Carbon EVO (unless there's others in this price range I should be considering like a Rega perhaps?). Both would require separate phono preamps so I'd need some recommendations there as well.

Anyone with recommendations?
I haven't heard any of these tables, so what do I know, but I'm wondering if the 3 you are looking at will be much better than your Orbit.

By all accounts the Pioneer PLX @AnthonyI mentions can be an end game level solution, and seems a clear step above the others. It can also be had for less than MSRP with coupons, btw.

Skipping a possible interim table (depending on any upgrade-itis one suffers) and saving for the next table up the chain can actually save you money in the end.

You can always go the used route, too. This is in budget and is basically brand spanking new, and for sale by a super reputable dealer:

Where did you see about VTA? So far all I’ve found on it is press releases which describe the tables as identical save for the removal of the built phono stage and the change from 2M red to AT-VM95C. Both of which would make it more attractive than the 1500C and for €100 less?

I’d imagine that’s a worldwide supply chain issue with COVID. There still seems to be stocks of all their models in the usual haunts over here.
I didn’t see it. I couldn’t tell from the pictures and it wasn’t listed anywhere that it had it. I saw it as a “quiet omission”.

I think in that price range there's going to be a lot of personal preferences involved. All 3 you mentioned are great decks for that price pool, which cart do you like better, which looks better to you, there isn't really a clear cut "winner" so to speak, and that's not a bad thing, you can just see which one checks the most boxes for you.

That being said, I do always have to recommend the PLX-1000 when you get in and around this price point, keep in mind it does not come with a cartridge, but I love the TT. You can always make due with the onboard pre of the Onkyo and save up for something "much" better ;)

I'm sure others will chime in.
Another strong vote for the PLX. It perfectly suits my needs as an endgame table.

Hi all,

So for a variety of reasons, I'm thinking of upgrading my U-Turn Orbit that I've had since May 2017.

So at this point, I'm working with:
  • U-Turn Orbit Plus w/ built-in preamp
  • Onkyo A-9010 Integrated Amplifier
  • KEF Q150 Bookshelf Pair
The Onkyo A-9010 technically has a phono preamp, but I assume that's not ideal. So I'm looking at getting a new turntable in the $400-$600 price range and a preamp.

So that basically leads me to either the Fluance RT85 or the Pro-Ject Debut Carbon EVO (unless there's others in this price range I should be considering like a Rega perhaps?). Both would require separate phono preamps so I'd need some recommendations there as well.

Anyone with recommendations?
I have an A-9010 and I upgraded the phono stage to a Musical Fidelity LX2LPS. It's a definite improvement for a decent price. It's hard for me to fully explain the difference as I changed my TT pretty much at the same time, so I only had a couple of listens with the Lenco on the integrated phono.

I couldn't tell a difference with soft clipping either on or off. Any other thoughts? @Splunders and @JohnnyCashFan there is not necessarily distortion its just overall fatiguing if I wanna punch it. That's why I was wondering if upgrading the Pho8 might mellow things out..?

I couldn't tell a difference with soft clipping either on or off. Any other thoughts? @Splunders and @JohnnyCashFan there is not necessarily distortion its just overall fatiguing if I wanna punch it. That's why I was wondering if upgrading the Pho8 might mellow things out..?
It could be? Is the Pho8 the only new component since previously enjoyable turn it up to 11 sessions? If so, then perhaps any harshness in the the Pho8's gain might be getting exposed at higher volume. @HiFi Guy might have some better diagnostic steps for you to try...

I haven't heard any of these tables, so what do I know, but I'm wondering if the 3 you are looking at will be much better than your Orbit.

By all accounts the Pioneer PLX @AnthonyI mentions can be an end game level solution, and seems a clear step above the others. It can also be had for less than MSRP with coupons, btw.

Skipping a possible interim table (depending on any upgrade-itis one suffers) and saving for the next table up the chain can actually save you money in the end.

You can always go the used route, too. This is in budget and is basically brand spanking new, and for sale by a super reputable dealer:

I have gone down the rabbit hole looking at record players. Trying to now stay below (or around) the $1000 mark. Some that I'm considering. Curious how people feel these stack up.
  • Rega Planar 3 w/ pre-mounted Elys2 - ~$1,145
  • Pioneer PLX-1000 - ~$700 sans cartridge
    • Gets points off, because I'm not crazy about how it looks aesthetically
    • Would also probably drop $250-$300 on a cartridge bringing this up closer to $1K
  • MoFi StudioDeck - $1,350 w/ StudioTracker cart, $1,500 w/ UltraTracker cart
    • My other components in my system likely aren't good enough to justify the UltraDeck price, and quite frankly, may not even justify this price. However, I love the look of this thing. It's just so damn expensive.
  • MusicHall MMF Line - 2.3 or 3.3? Not too familiar with these TBH
  • Pro-Ject Debut Carbon EVO - This is likely more of a lateral move to what I have now and sits firmly in "mid range" but it looks really nice, and there's hype around it.

I have gone down the rabbit hole looking at record players. Trying to now stay below (or around) the $1000 mark. Some that I'm considering. Curious how people feel these stack up.
    • Would also probably drop $250-$300 on a cartridge bringing this up closer to $1K
    • My other components in my system likely aren't good enough to justify the UltraDeck price, and quite frankly, may not even justify this price. However, I love the look of this thing. It's just so damn expensive.
  • Pro-Ject Debut Carbon EVO - This is likely more of a lateral move to what I have now and sits firmly in "mid range" but it looks really nice, and there's hype around it.
The Planar 3, stock, sounds all right. If you replace the bearing, subplatter, and platter it sounds much better. A good bit of extra money, though. And the Elys-3 isn’t much to get excited about. I found it very easily beat by a Nagaoka MP150. And then if you move into non-Rega carts you have to buy VTA risers and such. And even with all the upgrades, it ended up easily beat by an Acoustic Signature Primus, which would have cost less than the P3 and all the added bits. My experience, anyway.

Honestly, I’d look at something with the tonearm adjustability built in, like—I believe, but I am sure others on this forum will be able to tell you for sure—the Studiodeck and PLX-1000. Or maybe the VPI Cliffwood? The tonearm is adjustable and it’s around $1000 USD. No clue how it sounds, though. Can anyone chime in on that front?

Last edited:
I started with a Music Hall MMF 2.2 (the predecessor to the 2.3), then upgraded to a StudioDeck. The StudioDeck has much higher build quality and better sound all around. And, musicdirect regularly lists open box StudioDecks for under $1K. That's how I got mine.

I'll comment in more detail but wanted to post this for you........
1619190535868.png

This is with a MasterTracker cart, and MD is pretty solid on their Open Box items. You may have to call them, the link to the item is broken so I don't know if it's sold or otherwise.

I would still lean towards the PLX or StudioDeck, if the PLX just isn't working for you visually, the Studio Deck is very solid, I know quite a few members on the site enjoy them.

Again, check boxes, the PLX has a removable head shell so swapping carts is easier if your interested in that

Does the Schiit Sol fancy you ? Under a grand including a really good Grado. They seemed to have worked out early kinks. But it is a gyro arm (which some find hard to use) and some do not care for the gyrodeck style looks. Schiit Audio: Audio Products Designed and Built in California

That new Technics some others have mentioned is coming out soon, but I think it will closer to 1500 and hard to get for while?

Not sure how much you gain on the phono, I have not heard either of those. You do have the money back option on the Darlington if you try it. If you do not gain there you may need to upgrade you amp then for more power.

Last edited:
Pioneer PLX-1000 - ~$700 sans cartridge
As for this particular selection, and I swear, I'm not pushing it, just sharing opinions and info. Guitar Center often has discount codes available and this can be had for less, if you have the time and patience you can probably find one for $550-ish. IF you go down this road, I know it's not your preferred path, but I can probably help you with a cart for it, just send me a PM and I can fill you in.

Isn't equipment shopping fun? ;)

Back