Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

then why is the recommended 1.5.. trying not to wear down my records
Small variations in tracking force aren't going to damage your albums. My Denon has a tracking force recommendation of 2.5, but it sound better to me at 2.3, again, there is room for experimentation. You just don't want to be running a 1.5 at 3.5 ;)

then why is the recommended 1.5.. trying not to wear down my records
You won’t “wear down your records” by increasing your tracking force. Actually, your records will be in better condition because you’ll reduce or even eliminate mistracking. Mistracking causes irreparable damage. I don’t know why the Prestige series only shows one tracking force. Their upscale models all show a range, just like any other cartridge.

Small variations in tracking force aren't going to damage your albums. My Denon has a tracking force recommendation of 2.5, but it sound better to me at 2.3, again, there is room for experimentation. You just don't want to be running a 1.5 at 3.5 ;)
And when I had the DL-103 (not the 103R) I liked it best at 2.7 grams.

You won’t “wear down your records” by increasing your tracking force. Actually, your records will be in better condition because you’ll reduce or even eliminate mistracking. Mistracking causes irreparable damage. I don’t know why the Prestige series only shows one tracking force. Their upscale models all show a range, just like any other cartridge.
crosly horror stories made me want the exact thing they wanted... but i will try out how it sounds on 1.6-1.7 and see what works (its hard to do slow increments with the tonearm)

Speaking of overpriced.............

I picked up a fancy reamer for correcting spindle holes, and yes, for what it's function is, it is overpriced. And yes, there are other least expensive solutions, such as a drill bit or graduated hole reamer you can pick up for a few dollars at your local hardware store. But, I don't want to worry about making the hole too big, or possibly elongating it so the lp spins off center. For those with nerves of steel and supreme confidence I would recommend the "budget" options.

The spindle reamer from Stable 33.33 looks nice and is overpriced, but I like that it sits on a shelf right above my TT and when I drop an album on the spindle and it's tight and or a little tooooo snug, I can grab it, and in literally 15 seconds correct the problem without any real thought process or fear of screwing it up. Actually you can't, you can't screw it up using this thing, plain and simple..........and THAT is worth the extra coin to ME ;)

View attachment 88550
I had no idea such a device existed! Off-center spindle holes represent the single most annoying aspect of my experience with vinyl. So does this correct off-center spindle holes? (Hard for me to imagine how that would work.) If so, that price would be well worth it to me.

EDIT: I think my excitement was premature. Looks like this is for expanding the size of the hole rather than correcting its placement on the record. My bad. I misunderstood the "correcting" part.

Last edited:
I had no idea such a device existed! Off-center spindle holes represent the single most annoying aspect of my experience with vinyl. So does this correct off-center spindle holes? (Hard for me to imagine how that would work.) If so, that price would be well worth it to me.

EDIT: I think my excitement was premature. Looks like this is for expanding the size of the hole rather than correcting its placement on the record. My bad. I misunderstood the "correcting" part.
Haha, don’t feel bad Russ. Someone once mentioned a movable spindle turntable, they were joking, and I bit hook, line, and sinker. Off-center vinyl is 100% my biggest vinyl pet peeve as well, not even close, and seems to just be getting more frequent with so much rushed production.

20210217_151129.jpg
Okay... this... THIS IS THE ONE... I can feel it... we're cookin' now baby, OH LORDY FUCK YES WE ARE A'COOKIN WITH GAS NOW-
-hits self in face with frying pan-

Last edited:
View attachment 88611
Okay... this... THIS IS THE ONE... I can feel it... we're cookin' now baby, OH LORDY FUCK YES WE ARE A'COOKIN WITH GAS NOW-
-hits self in face with frying pan-
that left to right green line represents my brain activity throughout the day, with the vertical green bar representing about 2pm.

that left to right green line represents my brain activity throughout the day, with the vertical green bar representing about 2pm.
Are you also effective at reproducing sound waves under 100hz? If so then you may be a subwoofer.

Anyone know anything about 1970’s Marconiphone all in one turntable units? My pal has one, and is looking to see about getting it back running again. He has a Sony badged version of the plastic Ariston I had, so even if it sucks it’s probably better than what he already has.52DF9A48-3927-4D81-B137-1575D7EB3182.jpeg3AEE752A-F599-476B-9D0E-63F8B79B9E8F.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone know anything about 1970’s Marconiphone all in one turntable units? My pal has one, and is looking to see about getting it back running again. He has a Sony badged version of the plastic Ariston I had, so even if it sucks it’s probably better than what he already has.View attachment 88624View attachment 88625
That’s got a ceramic cartridge with a flip over LP/78 stylus. I’d totally pass.

Back