Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

What does pants mean in Brit speak?
Typically refers to underwear/panties from what I have learned. So was a bit awkward when my fiancee bought a pair of "trousers" and I was telling my fiancee's parents about how she bought a bunch of crazy pairs of "pants" in all different patterns and materials hah. Her dad looked mortified.

Typically refers to underwear/panties from what I have learned. So was a bit awkward when my fiancee bought a pair of "trousers" and I was telling my fiancee's parents about how she bought a bunch of crazy pairs of "pants" in all different patterns and materials hah. Her dad looked mortified.
In Australia "root" is a very commonly used slang term for sex. So if you ask someone what team they root for, it's an entirely different thing. My first day living there, and with this difference in terminology being something we were not heretofore aware of, my roommate asked a small child on public transit what team they root for, we had to flee before the sirens got louder...

In Australia "root" is a very commonly used slang term for sex. So if you ask someone what team they root for, it's an entirely different thing. My first day living there, and with this difference in terminology being something we were not heretofore aware of, my roommate asked a small child on public transit what team they root for, we had to flee before the sirens got louder...
Can you imagine Brits shopping for floor covering and being offered shag carpeting? I’m not sure if that’s a verb or an adjective in their context. 🤣

Some of my favorite looking speakers, in love with that grille. I’ve heard they’re not the greatest for how much they cost but at 45% off SHIIEEEEEEETTTT
Admittedly the full price was significantly higher than I had anticipated.

I'm due for replacing my stylus (Ortofon 2M Blue) and I'm debating whether or not I should get a replacement stylus or a new cartridge altogether. I was looking at maybe switching to Ortofon Super OM-40? Not really sure if this would be a big upgrade in terms of sound, but I'm also open to suggestions for other cartridges at around that price point ($374 on LP Gear). I would like to hear your guys' feedback in regards to this.

Alsoooooo, I'm planning to upgrade my setup once I have the funds to do so (probably once I get my tax return lol) -- So I'm looking for recommendations for that as well! I've been using powered speakers since that was the easiest setup when I first started (and I wasn't aware of the forums at that time -- back when VMP was still up and running), but I'm looking at moving towards using an amp/speaker set up first and then eventually upgrading my turntable 2-3 years down the road. For the amp/speakers, I'm looking to spend around $1,000 ($1,500 max maybe $2,000 if it makes a huge difference) for both.

My current setup is as follows:
U-Turn Orbit Turntable
Musical Fidelity LX-LPS preamp
Audioengine A5+ Powered Speakers

PS: I've been away for too long. It's time to catch up on threads. I'm still in grad school which sucks, especially during the pandemic, but hopefully I'm able to hop on the forum at least once a week.

I'm due for replacing my stylus (Ortofon 2M Blue) and I'm debating whether or not I should get a replacement stylus or a new cartridge altogether. I was looking at maybe switching to Ortofon Super OM-40? Not really sure if this would be a big upgrade in terms of sound, but I'm also open to suggestions for other cartridges at around that price point ($374 on LP Gear). I would like to hear your guys' feedback in regards to this.

Alsoooooo, I'm planning to upgrade my setup once I have the funds to do so (probably once I get my tax return lol) -- So I'm looking for recommendations for that as well! I've been using powered speakers since that was the easiest setup when I first started (and I wasn't aware of the forums at that time -- back when VMP was still up and running), but I'm looking at moving towards using an amp/speaker set up first and then eventually upgrading my turntable 2-3 years down the road. For the amp/speakers, I'm looking to spend around $1,000 ($1,500 max maybe $2,000 if it makes a huge difference) for both.

My current setup is as follows:
U-Turn Orbit Turntable
Musical Fidelity LX-LPS preamp
Audioengine A5+ Powered Speakers

PS: I've been away for too long. It's time to catch up on threads. I'm still in grad school which sucks, especially during the pandemic, but hopefully I'm able to hop on the forum at least once a week.
As the U Turn doesn’t have adjustable anti skate, I’d opt for an OM30. It’s an upgrade from the Blue, but not hugely so. I doubt you’d hear a difference until you get your new amp and speakers.

If you want a completely different sound, you’d need to switch brands of cartridges. Nagaoka, Audio Technica and Grado all make suitable models at or under your price point.

View attachment 84597
Got the microscope right up the cart. I mean the cart is like a TINY TINY bit out however the stylus itself looks perfectly in line with its mirrored image. So I don't think this is it... RABBIT HOLE OFFICIALLY ENTERED

If I ever start taking multiple microscopic photos of my stylus someone remind me it’s time to move on to digital music.

View attachment 84597
Got the microscope right up the cart. I mean the cart is like a TINY TINY bit out however the stylus itself looks perfectly in line with its mirrored image. So I don't think this is it... RABBIT HOLE OFFICIALLY ENTERED

Whoa...this seems rather explicit. Between this and the no pants/shag/trousers/root ...

Is it happening on records where it did not previously?
You listen to your records more than once?? Oh my god who has time for that...

Honestly though, I'm not sure.. I upgraded my cart halfway through my collection purchasing so there's still many records I haven't spun since the upgrade. I've just been noticing it more frequently recently, something that I hadn't before. Could it be a bad run of new vinyl? I suppose, but that seems unlikely. It's very minor when it does happen, and it's infrequent... Could be stylus wear I suppose if it's not the dirt...

You listen to your records more than once?? Oh my god who has time for that...

Honestly though, I'm not sure.. I upgraded my cart halfway through my collection purchasing so there's still many records I haven't spun since the upgrade. I've just been noticing it more frequently recently, something that I hadn't before. Could it be a bad run of new vinyl? I suppose, but that seems unlikely. It's very minor when it does happen, and it's infrequent... Could be stylus wear I suppose if it's not the dirt...
@Mather maaaaaaayyyyy spend more time with microscopes and blu tack and stressing about IGD and VTA and what not than actually playing his records...

Back