Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

I'm also considering this sleek looking phono preamp 🤔 I could get it for $399 + tax
Home review

I think the against being that the review says the rega you were talking about earlier is better would put me off. I believe @HiFi Guy has raised concerns about Cambridge audio components in the past too.

Last edited:
my OCD brain:

"you settled on getting the ortofon blue later because you are CERTAIN it will work well with a uturn"
"but this article says the nagaoka works well on the turntable"
"but you love details and textures and all that stuff and was having a bit too MUCH bass on your grado"
"but the audiorpheus video showed in a blind test that i prefered the nagaoka.. plus i save money"
"thank god we are keeping the same preamp you'd probably go crazy about choosing between project and every other brand"
"oh btw are you sure we will go with the schiit magni 3+... the liquid spark has a warm sound that one person said was tube like AAAND its similarly priced and no issue with our power strip and wallwarts, or hell even a tube amp"
"OH GODDAMMIT"

Last edited:
Well all kidding aside you're putting together a nice system there and I think you'll be thrilled with the sound. Now do yourself a favor and don't buy anything with a Shibata diamond on it so you're not pulling your hair out all day like me.
Oh man. I was considering a new cart and thinking about moving up one model to a version with a Shibata...then I tried one and this thing was soooooo fussy.

Yeah I love the sound but I'm not gunna lie, next cart probably won't be a Shibata.
After kicking around a bunch of potentials and coming close on a Microline, I think I’m going back to the Goldring 1042. I absolutely 100% completely despise how it rides, but I just can’t argue with the Gyger stylus.

I’ve always been fond of Microlines.
They just track like a beast. I was test driving an AT-VM540ML, and being the spiritual successor to the 440mlb which is one of my favorite carts it’s hard to take out of the running - particularly because that cart costs less than just the stylus for my 1042.

Yeah I love the sound but I'm not gunna lie, next cart probably won't be a Shibata.
looks like i can mark you for not getting a hana SL (your preamps output load cant support hanas over 400 load anyway)

They just track like a beast. I was test driving an AT-VM540ML, and being the spiritual successor to the 440mlb which is one of my favorite carts it’s hard to take out of the running - particularly because that cart costs less than just the stylus for my 1042.
I've just switched from a Nagaoka MP200 to an AT Vm740ml and I love it. I'm all in on the ATs now.

Still thinking about trying the Grado one day though...

looks like i can mark you for not getting a hana SL (your preamps output load cant support hanas over 400 load anyway)
Yeah, plus a Hana SL is by most accounts I've seen, a lateral move from the 2M Black. I'll likely try to go up, though without a discount I'll likely not be able to go up very much... Unless I go Goldring, which is likely what I'll do.

Yeah, plus a Hana SL is by most accounts I've seen, a lateral move from the 2M Black. I'll likely try to go up, though without a discount I'll likely not be able to go up very much... Unless I go Goldring, which is likely what I'll do.
looks like you are going with the moving magnet approach still... looks like you aren't the hardcore audiophile....

i mean i am an audiophile too but im not intense enough for a 1000 dollar turntable and expensive cartridge and rega preamp and fancy cables

looks like you are going with the moving magnet approach still... looks like you aren't the hardcore audiophile....

i mean i am an audiophile too but im not intense enough for a 1000 dollar turntable and expensive cartridge and rega preamp and fancy cables
Haha Dukey are you... goading me?

It's fine, I deserve it.

But no reason to think I wouldn't go MC, while my Aria can't handle ALL MC it can still take care of a good portion of them. So no reason for me to only have MM as an option...

Haha Dukey are you... goading me?

It's fine, I deserve it.

But no reason to think I wouldn't go MC, while my Aria can't handle ALL MC it can still take care of a good portion of them. So no reason for me to only have MM as an option...
nah its fine... i just like making fun of the more... heavy audiophiles..

i am a teaser... and they all give me confusing opinions on cartridges anyway (even mike of the in groove said the ortofon was the best cartridge under 200.. just sennheiser and grado doesn't work because its too relaxed and its not retailed and thumpy enough) so i wanna tease about your boujee cartridge

nah its fine... i just like making fun of the more... heavy audiophiles..

i am a teaser... and they all give me confusing opinions on cartridges anyway (even mike of the in groove said the ortofon was the best cartridge under 200.. just sennheiser and grado doesn't work because its too relaxed and its not retailed and thumpy enough) so i wanna tease about your boujee cartridge
I fully support all attempts to tease me. It's warranted.

I think the days of blanket "MC superiority" are long gone.

There are great options in MM and MIMC's. I'm eyeing my next cart, which is most likely going to be a Soundsmith MIMC and I've chosen this over another cart I seriously eye-balled...the Dynavector 17DX MC.

Heck, I may still get a Clearaudio Charisma V2 MM or Grado Reference MM.

My phonostage can handle pretty much any MC you can throw at it, but as you can see from my list, I've only really considered one - I think MC is a fine shorthand for quality, in a way, but to think MM and MIMC carts can't provide something "audiophile" and excellent to pair with a reference system would be doing oneself a disservice.

I think the days of blanket "MC superiority" are long gone.

There are great options in MM and MIMC's. I'm eyeing my next cart, which is most likely going to be a Soundsmith MIMC and I've chosen this over another cart I seriously eye-balled...the Dynavector 17DX MC.

Heck, I may still get a Clearaudio Charisma V2 MM or Grado Reference MM.

My phonostage can handle pretty much any MC you can throw at it, but as you can see from my list, I've only really considered one - I think MC is a fine shorthand for quality, in a way, but to think MM and MIMC carts can't provide something "audiophile" and excellent to pair with a reference system would be doing oneself a disservice.
Dukey is just ripping on me, rightly so. I don't think they actually believe MM equals low end...

Back