Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

I think I’ve narrowed down to a Primaluna Integrated amp to build my new system around. I test drove the Dialogue Premium HP today, which lists at $4399, but the dealer said they’re moving the demos at $2600 to make room for the new EVOs. Any opinions out there on buying a 1 yr old demo at $2600 vs $4k for the new EVO? I was absolutely blown away with the Dialogue Premier HP, wondering if there is enough of a difference in the new models to feel good about spending another $1400?

I think I’ve narrowed down to a Primaluna Integrated amp to build my new system around. I test drove the Dialogue Premium HP today, which lists at $4399, but the dealer said they’re moving the demos at $2600 to make room for the new EVOs. Any opinions out there on buying a 1 yr old demo at $2600 vs $4k for the new EVO? I was absolutely blown away with the Dialogue Premier HP, wondering if there is enough of a difference in the new models to feel good about spending another $1400?
If it comes with all the original accessories and isn't beat up or anything, my only additional question would be what's the warranty on it? That was one of the additional upsides to the Open Box from Upscale, full original warranty and they'll bump it to 3 years if you send them your info. That being said, if everything is in order for the demo, I would jump on it for that price. ;)

If it comes with all the original accessories and isn't beat up or anything, my only additional question would be what's the warranty on it? That was one of the additional upsides to the Open Box from Upscale, full original warranty and they'll bump it to 3 years if you send them your info. That being said, if everything is in order for the demo, I would jump on it for that price. ;)
Condition looked very good, no scratches or visible damage. They said full original warranty applied. Honestly my only concern was it being powered on for 10 hours a day in a showroom, seems like a lot of mileage, but I’m new to tubes, so maybe that’s not a big deal. I’m going to give Upscale a call too before I decide and see what they have available.👍🏼

I'd buy the demo and a new set of tubes all around. If it's really been on 10 hours a day for a year, it's overdue for a new set of tubes. You'll want new tubes anyway- you can do better than the stock PL branded ones.

The Dialogue Premium HP is the old version of the EVO 400- which is $5k. The lower powered EVO 300 is $4k, so it's an even better deal.

I'd buy the demo and a new set of tubes all around. If it's really been on 10 hours a day for a year, it's overdue for a new set of tubes. You'll want new tubes anyway- you can do better than the stock PL branded ones.

The Dialogue Premium HP is the old version of the EVO 400- which is $5k. The lower powered EVO 300 is $4k, so it's an even better deal.
I really appreciate the advice. You, @AnthonyI and this forum have been a huge help to me, thanks again! I’ll report back on my final decision soon.

I'd look at the Vincent PHO-8- $299 from Audio Advisor. That should be a big jump from where you are now.
You can usually get a demo or open box one for $250 from them. You might need to call though. You could take that $50 savings and get a Pangea power cord to go with it and improve things even further, particularly the bass. I have the PHO-8 and it was a big jump from my previous budget phono preamp, and then much later on got the power cord (per many recommendations from this forum) and it took another noticeable leap.

I'd look at the Vincent PHO-8- $299 from Audio Advisor. That should be a big jump from where you are now.

You can usually get a demo or open box one for $250 from them. You might need to call though. You could take that $50 savings and get a Pangea power cord to go with it and improve things even further, particularly the bass. I have the PHO-8 and it was a big jump from my previous budget phono preamp, and then much later on got the power cord (per many recommendations from this forum) and it took another noticeable leap.

Ok, so I ordered an open box PHO-8. Cant wait to try it out. then i can get a new turntable which will need a new cart and then bigger speakers.. Man this is fun!

Thanks for your insights @HiFi Guy @Joe Mac and @Splunders!!

I will report back after i get it hooked up.

Hello everyone,

I love this forum and especially this thread. I enjoy people sharing their equipment and getting a ton of great upgrade advice, and that is exactly what I am in need of! Currently I have a very budget setup that I started in high school and through college but am starting my career in August and want to start budgeting out upgrades for my system. My current setup is as follows:

TT: LP120
AV Receiver: Denon DRA-295 (just got this at Goodwill for $15, replacing a cheap Lepai amp)
Speakers: Klipsch R-14M 4-Inch Reference (just got these off Facebook Marketplace for $30, replacing Micca MB42X)

My budget for upgrades will be in the $300-$500 range for each piece of equipment, besides for the cart. I know my first upgrade will be the Ortofon Red. My question for all of you fine people is: what should I upgrade first to get the most bang for my buck? I know the preamp on the LP120 isn't ideal, but does it make sense to get an external preamp and run it to the receiver, or should I save up to replace my receiver with a preamp/amp or an integrated amp? Also, I have been enjoying my Klipsch speakers so far but I don't have much to compare them to, I just know they are better than the Micca's, so I am willing to upgrade them as well. If these questions don't even make sense please let me know as I am trying to learn all that goes into this crazy obsession.

Thank you in advance for the advice!!

Hello everyone,

I love this forum and especially this thread. I enjoy people sharing their equipment and getting a ton of great upgrade advice, and that is exactly what I am in need of! Currently I have a very budget setup that I started in high school and through college but am starting my career in August and want to start budgeting out upgrades for my system. My current setup is as follows:

AV Receiver: Denon DRA-295 (just got this at Goodwill for $15, replacing a cheap Lepai amp)
Speakers: Klipsch R-14M 4-Inch Reference (just got these off Facebook Marketplace for $30, replacing Micca MB42X)

My budget for upgrades will be in the $300-$500 range for each piece of equipment, besides for the cart. I know my first upgrade will be the Ortofon Red. My question for all of you fine people is: what should I upgrade first to get the most bang for my buck? I know the preamp on the LP120 isn't ideal, but does it make sense to get an external preamp and run it to the receiver, or should I save up to replace my receiver with a preamp/amp or an integrated amp? Also, I have been enjoying my Klipsch speakers so far but I don't have much to compare them to, I just know they are better than the Micca's, so I am willing to upgrade them as well. If these questions don't even make sense please let me know as I am trying to learn all that goes into this crazy obsession.

Do you already have the ortofon cartridge and are just upgrading the stylus?

I just have the stock cartridge on the LP120 right now. I will be getting the ortofon cartridge soon.

Have you considered the Grado Gold2? I much prefer the sound of the Grado, I swapped from the Ortofon to it. Also if you are determined to go Ortofon the blue is a much better cart than the red and well worth more than the difference in price.

An external phono stage will be a step up from the one built into that table but sadly unless you are electronically capable enough to physically remove the lp120s phono stage it still colours and muddies the sound even when turned off...

Last edited:
Have you considered the Grado Gold2? I much prefer the sound of it to the Grado, I swapped from the Ortofon to it. Also if you are determined to go Ortofon the blue is a much better cart than the red and well worth more than the difference in price.

An external phono stage will be a step up from the one built into that table but sadly unless you are electronically capable enough to physically remove the lp120s phono stage it still colours and muddies the sound even when turned off...

If you are adventurous, totally remove that phone stage from the lp120. There are videos in YouTube that will walk you through it and you don't need to solder.

Here's the one I watched:

Best thing I did besides upgrading the cart.

Hello everyone,

For $300-500, if you wanted to be at the top end of that budget, I’d think a uTurn or Fluance with the 2m blue would be a huge upgrade.

Back