Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

Also seeing as it's an 800 dollar turntable i feel like the cartridge I would put on it should be be around 300 or so dollars, I'll figure out what will be good later, again this is planning for 2022

I love this thread. The last few pages have been an absolute delight! The Rega pricing differences are pretty fascinating. I guess that explains why you can see $1,000 off sales on their p6 and above line here in the states - their margins are that inflated.

Also, everyone's opinions and knowledge is helpful and really refreshing. I've lurked on other sites and the absolutism of people's opinions is such a turn off. Lots of reasoned thoughts and advice here, especially when talking about entry level gear. So glad our place was reborn

I own the M2si They are essentially the same under the hood. 3i has 10 more watts per channel a phono and a usb input. 2i is just line inputs.

I didn't need anything but power so the 2i was perfect for me. Plus I got it for half of original retail.

You can use the studiophono with either. As you already have the phono stage I’d get the 2 because of what @VMPKJ said and the fact you won’t be using the phono stage (which along with the DAC appears to be the reason for the price diff). If you still want the 3 make sure to plug the studio phono into any input other than the phono one. And yeah I think we all agree that the High Output is the best bet with that phono stage.

Yeah, after checking a few more reviews (article and video) it sounds like the only real difference is the DAC and phonostage. So i think the M"is will be the leading candidate. A shame all the danish retailers i've found so far want full price for it. Hopefully one of them will have a sale soon 😬

Thanks guys! 🍻

Yeah, after checking a few more reviews (article and video) it sounds like the only real difference is the DAC and phonostage. So i think the M"is will be the leading candidate. A shame all the danish retailers i've found so far want full price for it. Hopefully one of them will have a sale soon 😬

Thanks guys! 🍻

Have you checked out analogue seduction in the UK? They’re selling it for £599, if that’s a better price, and they are usually really fair with delivery!

Further to my questions about a Studiodeck...

There's about a $200 different between no cart and getting one with a Studiotracker. Are there any carts <$200 that is a significant upgrade from a Studiotracker that would be a more enticing option?

There's about a $200 different between no cart and getting one with a Studiotracker. Are there any carts <$200 that is a significant upgrade from a Studiotracker that would be a more enticing option?

Not at $200 but if you could stretch to $300 the Grado Timbre Opus3 is a pretty damn great cart.

The disadvantage of the MoFi cartridges are the non user replaceable styli. I’d look towards an A/T VM95ML or a Grado Gold3.

....and actually, if it helps your cause to be able to save a little longer for "whatever cart", you can have my UltraTracker, it has about 400ish hours on it, so still some mileage to be had. If the AT interests you, I'll send both, if the AT doesn't interest you, just pay for the shipping of the UltraTracker ;)

Let me know :)

Since we're in the middle of all this cart talk, my intention has been to have 3 types of carts on the PLX to "play" with. The MasterTracker has worked out nicely on the deck, really happy with it. I've wanted to grab a Mono cart to see what it brings to the table, so that's on the grocery list.

For the 3rd and something different, I was kind of thinking of moving up the AT line with a VM750SH/Shibata tip........any thoughts on this cart, or any other suggestions for this 3rd spot?

The UltraDeck is just fine with the Opus3, couldn't be happier and it may very well be the long term cart on that table.........I know, I know, lol

Hi @AnthonyI and every regular in this equipment thread,

I have been looking over TT upgrades and the PLX-1000 is what I'm honing in on. I'm at work right now, but I'll have a detailed post of questions + current rig description within 24h. I am ready to splurge on upgrades soon. Hope that I can get some pointers. Thank you!

Getting back to this.

Currently my rig is as follows:

Turntable: Audio Technica LP120USB
Phono: the garbage that resides in the above
Receiver: Onkyo HT-R430
Speakers: not sure...floor standing speakers received as Christmas gift. Can't find a serial number/part number, though I have a photo of the right speaker and its logo attached.

Looking to move on from the AT-LP120 and purchase a new turntable + phono stage. Will be selling mine to a friend getting to vinyl for $100 for extra funds. A direct drive model would be preferred, as I would like DJing to be a potential future pursuit. Budget for the two components combined (TT + pre) would be $900~1200.

As I mentioned before, I've been eyeing the Pioneer PLX-1000 as the next step up. Currently seeing prices of $700 for new, though I'm fairly certain I have seen a new PLX-1000 for < $600 as recent as January this year. Looking at phono stages and doing preliminary research, but still far from knowledgable enough to select one outright without some guidance.

Thank you in advance for everyone's time and help!

Attachments

• 1593299304045279932474475846954.jpg
    1593299304045279932474475846954.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 15
  • 15932993500741113220664574278548.jpg
    15932993500741113220664574278548.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 14
Getting back to this.

Speakers: not sure...floor standing speakers received as Christmas gift. Can't find a serial number/part number, though I have a photo of the right speaker and its logo attached.

Looking to move on from the AT-LP120 and purchase a new turntable + phono stage. Will be selling mine to a friend getting to vinyl for $100 for extra funds. A direct drive model would be preferred, as I would like DJing to be a potential future pursuit. Budget for the two components combined (TT + pre) would be $900~1200.

As I mentioned before, I've been eyeing the Pioneer PLX-1000 as the next step up. Currently seeing prices of $700 for new, though I'm fairly certain I have seen a new PLX-1000 for < $600 as recent as January this year. Looking at phono stages and doing preliminary research, but still far from knowledgable enough to select one outright without some guidance.

If you were patient and got the PLX with one of the coupons that can float about on here from time to time you could get it, a Grado gold 3 cart, there is no cart with the pioneer, and one of the Musical Fidelity LX2-LPS phonos that people around here like for around your upper budget. That’d be a huge leap from the AT, you wouldn’t know yourself!

Getting back to this.

I'm pretty sure your speakers are made by Infinity -- I think they got bought by Harman (makers of JBL) and here's a link that might go be you some context. Infinity Speakers | Harman Audio

If the logo matches, then you should be able too track down the model and details with the serial numbers and a bit of the Google

If you were patient and got the PLX with one of the coupons that can float about on here from time to time you could get it, a Grado gold 3 cart, there is no cart with the pioneer, and one of the Musical Fidelity LX2-LPS phonos that people around here like for around your upper budget. That’d be a huge leap from the AT, you wouldn’t know yourself!

I am very patient. I won't pull the trigger until one of those coupons you mentioned surfaces, now that I have confirmation of occasional discounts.

Thank you for the other gear recommendations as well. Now that I know that a cartridge is not included, I have more research to do.

I'm pretty sure your speakers are made by Infinity -- I think they got bought by Harman (makers of JBL) and here's a link that might go be you some context. Infinity Speakers | Harman Audio

If the logo matches, then you should be able too track down the model and details with the serial numbers and a bit of the Google

Will look into; thank you for the information.

I am very patient. I won't pull the trigger until one of those coupons you mentioned surfaces, now that I have confirmation of occasional discounts.

Thank you for the other gear recommendations as well. Now that I know that a cartridge is not included, I have more research to do.

Will look into; thank you for the information.
Open box PLX regularly available for 500-600. Used also available in multiple markets for sub 500 often with extras like styli. I mean, I get wanting new but know your options.

Open box PLX regularly available for 500-600. Used also available in multiple markets for sub 500 often with extras like styli. I mean, I get wanting new but know your options.

There are semi regular coupons for the guitar centre, I think that’s right, that appear on here that price it new just under the 600 new too. I think @HiFi Guy has posted them before. It’s just a case of patience.

There are semi regular coupons for the guitar centre, I think that’s right, that appear on here that price it new just under the 600 new too. I think @HiFi Guy has posted them before. It’s just a case of patience.

Guitar Center and Musicians Friend. I bought mine from MF and paid just under $600 shipped.

The disadvantage of the MoFi cartridges are the non user replaceable styli. I’d look towards an A/T VM95ML or a Grado Gold3.
it seems like these, the nagaoka MP110, and (to a lesser extent here but all over audiophile stores) the ortofon blue are the considered recommended upgrade cartridges,

Back