Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

Thank you all for the equipment recommendations! Going to pull the trigger on the Musical Fidelity option, feeling really good about it!

Noob question: Do preamps typically ship with the cables and ground wire included, specifically the Musical Fidelity one?
Great choice and they don't usually ship with cables, just the power cable.

Got the new SL1210GR unboxed and running today. Holy shit is it a dramatic improvement already and I'm still using the 2M Red. The Gold 3 should be here Monday and I am anticipating another huge leap. The SL1210GR over the SL1900 is primarily in the noise floor, the separation, and the pace. I never knew what people meant exactly by pace but it is a clear difference here. I am assuming it has to do with a more stable platter speed. Everything feels way more on point with a crisper sense of urgency in the timing. Also, before we had to soft step around the listening area and now I can literally jump up and down with no audible issues.

Look, I was happy with the sound I was getting out of the 1900. I did want a cartridge upgrade, but it started mistracking and shit so I figured if I'm gonna replace it I should go with something I can pass down to the kids. I didn't expect a huge upgrade in sound but I certainly got one.

I feel like I need to listen to every record again. I'll put that endeavor on hold, though. I'm gonna pick 5 or 6 records to get familar with on this setup and then replay them when I get the Gold 3 installed so I can be more certain about improvements.

BTW, first record on the new table was Julia Jacklin's Crushing.

Got the new SL1210GR unboxed and running today. Holy shit is it a dramatic improvement already and I'm still using the 2M Red. The Gold 3 should be here Monday and I am anticipating another huge leap. The SL1210GR over the SL1900 is primarily in the noise floor, the separation, and the pace. I never knew what people meant exactly by pace but it is a clear difference here. I am assuming it has to do with a more stable platter speed. Everything feels way more on point with a crisper sense of urgency in the timing. Also, before we had to soft step around the listening area and now I can literally jump up and down with no audible issues.

Look, I was happy with the sound I was getting out of the 1900. I did want a cartridge upgrade, but it started mistracking and shit so I figured if I'm gonna replace it I should go with something I can pass down to the kids. I didn't expect a huge upgrade in sound but I certainly got one.

I feel like I need to listen to every record again. I'll put that endeavor on hold, though. I'm gonna pick 5 or 6 records to get familar with on this setup and then replay them when I get the Gold 3 installed so I can be more certain about improvements.

I'm glad you're loving it so far! Congrats!

I should add that there was zero evidence this was an open box item. I was looking for it, too. Everything was factory wrapped and the original box had no evidence of being resealed. Either they are experts at repacking or I got a sealed unit. When i was on the phone discussing any caveats to an open box and decided to proceed with the order the salesman tried a few times to get me to upgrade to a sealed unit for only 10% more essentially meeting halfway between open box and sealed prices. I stuck to my guns. I think it is possible they had to honor the open box listing price but did not actually have an open box item on the floor at that point in time?

I picked it because I know the album inside and out and have heard it recently enough to know what it should be sounding like. It is a fantastic piece of work to be sure.
I've used Crushing as my reference album A LOT when testing out new gear. The kick drum/bass on Body especially. Such a great album.

You’ll still enjoy it.
i do notice that with the 58X and my powered speakers though with the grado headphones some records i find (especially heavy records or hip hop) that they end up being muffled

though i do plan on one day moving to a magni 3+/heresy/liquid spark, and 6XX

i do notice that with the 58X and my powered speakers though with the grado headphones some records i find (especially heavy records or hip hop) that they end up being muffled

I’ve had the 6xx for around 2 years now and they seem like perfection to me. They are extremely laid back but so accurate. I have never felt like they were not giving a perfect interpretation of the music. I do enjoy more V shape from time to time and I get that in my car or on wireless buds.

If memory serves, I think you already have a Grado Black, yes? Fellow Grado nuts, which would be a bigger upgrade from a Black? A red cart or an 8MZ stylus?

Just pulled the trigger on the Musical Fidelity LX-LPS per your guys recommendation. Super excited to receive it, imagine my lockdown routine for the next week to two will be me staring out the window waiting for the USPS lady. I’m curious to see if I’ll notice a real difference in sound since this will be my first dedicated preamp. Currently been using the preamp in my Klipsch R-51PMs and before that was using the one in the AT-LP60. Not sure how those will stack up against the an external phono stage but its exciting to think about! With this I will finally feel satisfied with my audio chain for a few years so I can divert my money to getting tattoos and clothes again 😂. Thanks again for the help hardware dudes!

Just pulled the trigger on the Musical Fidelity LX-LPS per your guys recommendation. Super excited to receive it, imagine my lockdown routine for the next week to two will be me staring out the window waiting for the USPS lady. I’m curious to see if I’ll notice a real difference in sound since this will be my first dedicated preamp. Currently been using the preamp in my Klipsch R-51PMs and before that was using the one in the AT-LP60. Not sure how those will stack up against the an external phono stage but its exciting to think about! With this I will finally feel satisfied with my audio chain for a few years so I can divert my money to getting tattoos and clothes again 😂. Thanks again for the help hardware dudes!

oh my you are in for a pleasant surprise, a stand alone phono stage will blow both of those out of the water!

So further to my earlier post on poss adding phono boxes , I had a look underneath my project as I vaguely remember when buying it that it has a preamp fitted (which makes sense as the original amp I brought it for doesn’t have a phono stage and neither does the one I’m using now) ..so my question is ..

If I’m using a preamp into an amp would the addiction of another stage (like a time phono stage) be of benefit or hindrance ?
3660D8E2-D113-4D91-8616-C27B9CA224CE.jpeg

Back