Discogs - Help, Tricks, Secrets And Tips

I haven't gotten any "notifications" - but I assume it's for ads and shit.

I'm not too happy with Discogs - haven't been for a bit now. They just borked every label page - and now sorting or searching for something is either not easy or impossible.

But I really haven't been on the forums there for about a month or so -and my mental health is doing much better. I just make edits on releases I own - and go about my day.
Another few weeks gone by, still no notifications. At this point, why not just merge messages and notifications? They still feel the same to me.

entering a cd for the first time by a local artist. a few tracks have featured artists, two of which i am confident will be new to the database, but two others have multiple artists with that name, kenny mac and moses. kenny mac only has 7 entries, but the one or two entries that could potentially be the same have pretty much no info to go by. and moses has over 100 possibilities. no way i try and sort through that name. what's the best/appropriate approach here? enter a new kenny mac (8) and moses (1xx)? leave them out entirely and put in the notes? something else?

entering a cd for the first time by a local artist. a few tracks have featured artists, two of which i am confident will be new to the database, but two others have multiple artists with that name, kenny mac and moses. kenny mac only has 7 entries, but the one or two entries that could potentially be the same have pretty much no info to go by. and moses has over 100 possibilities. no way i try and sort through that name. what's the best/appropriate approach here? enter a new kenny mac (8) and moses (1xx)? leave them out entirely and put in the notes? something else?

Personally, I would lean toward creating the new entry and then working to correct/combine down the line If it becomes evident they're actually one and the same with a previous entry.

As someone who bought something attributed to the (VERY) wrong artist once because the band had been entered as the same artist as a an all-woman hip hop group I was seeking more from. Fortunately it was a relatively inexpensive and mostly hilarious mistake and I fixed the credits and made sure both artists had entries, but even still I would much rather err in favour of having more artist entries than necessary to avoid a potential mix up for somebody.

Personally, I would lean toward creating the new entry and then working to correct/combine down the line If it becomes evident they're actually one and the same with a previous entry.

As someone who bought something attributed to the (VERY) wrong artist once because the band had been entered as the same artist as a an all-woman hip hop group I was seeking more from. Fortunately it was a relatively inexpensive and mostly hilarious mistake and I fixed the credits and made sure both artists had entries, but even still I would much rather err in favour of having more artist entries than necessary to avoid a potential mix up for somebody.

thanks for this. i had them all be new entries and then provided what info i could in the artist profile/links area for each one. unfortunately, with moses there's just nothing else to go by other than an artist named moses guested on one of the songs. farting around on the search engines didn't yield anything that would tell me who this moses actually is.

I'm trying to share a link for a folder that contains a small subset of my overall collection. When I go to that folder in my discogs account and copy the URL, then paste that URL into my browser's address bar, it takes me to the folder. But if I log out of discogs and do the same with the URL, it takes me to my entire collection. And the person I'm trying to share this folder with says the link doesn't work for him. Anything I'm missing? My settings should allow for sharing.

I'm trying to share a link for a folder that contains a small subset of my overall collection. When I go to that folder in my discogs account and copy the URL, then paste that URL into my browser's address bar, it takes me to the folder. But if I log out of discogs and do the same with the URL, it takes me to my entire collection. And the person I'm trying to share this folder with says the link doesn't work for him. Anything I'm missing? My settings should allow for sharing.

i don't think you can do this. being logged in or not seems to be the lone determinant on how your collection can be viewed.

You're probably better off making a list. I don't think another user can have access to see specific folders of your collection.

Back