Discogs - Help, Tricks, Secrets And Tips

Yeah IMO the app is absolutely garbage for everything except the shake for random, barcode scanning (sometimes misleading as you noted) and it lets you sort by genre. I have deleted it in frustration several times.

I find using the website in desktop mode on my phone is far better and always do that now for finding pressings and managing my collection.
The app is good for keeping tabs of what you already have in your collection too. I have the app pulled up every time I am in my local record store to make sure I am not buying something I already own. It also works well for a quick price comp to ensure I am not overpaying for something.

The app is good for keeping tabs of what you already have in your collection too. I have the app pulled up every time I am in my local record store to make sure I am not buying something I already own. It also works well for a quick price comp to ensure I am not overpaying for something.
Sure, but personally, I find it easier to just find the right pressing in my browser unless I want to scan the barcode. I haven't done this in forever in my local though, because their prices are always considerably higher than I could get online.

When I did mine I think I was between 4 and 500 and I don't think it took me more than a few weeks. I would just do it whenever listening. Easier if you know which, or about which, pressing most of your albums are.

I'm going back through them all now since I am going through and cleaning them in order and the most annoying thing is their first name alphabetical order, which I refuse to adopt!
I was probably around a 100 titles when I initially started adding my albums to Discogs but I enjoyed it. It’s almost like a crossword puzzle comparing runouts, labels, and sleeves to figure out what entry matches up to your specific pressing. Some are quite the code to crack. Anyways I think the toughest thing for me entering that first 100 or so was that I was sitting on the floor for like 6 hours while I did it. I think my legs fell asleep multiple times but the detective work was fun.

Sure, but personally, I find it easier to just find the right pressing in my browser unless I want to scan the barcode. I haven't done this in forever in my local though, because their prices are always considerably higher than I could get online.
Yeah, I know what you mean. I wanna say they have improved it a little bit over the last few years. You can see the release notes and user reviews now in the app (which I don’t think was available a few years ago) but the more detailed info you still have to hit the browser.

I second the browser action. Don't like the app. At all. Browser works on the go and my laptop does the rest when I'm at home.

Can't remember if it was on this thread of Reddit (sorry, too lazy to look it up right now!) - but have we come to any sort of final understanding/acceptance about the new IRS rules re: reporting taxes?

Someone who had read through the stated change with a very fine-toothed, lawyerly like comb thought the change only impacts the fine folks of Mass and Vermont (I think?) and the rest of us in the other 48 could still roll with the +200 units/+$20,000 limits.

Kinda think this is a big deal - important distinction, no?

If anyone can give me a correct vote on this one to offset a bullshit EI. I reverted a users "variant" because I made this submission specifically because it didn't have any Terry Dunavan "TD" in the runouts.

This user added one with a TD on side A - and then EI"d my revert....and then asked if he had to make a new sub.

Thanks

A big THANKS to this thread and those who've helped me navigate my first steps into the Discogs marketplace. Things have gone quite well since last October - even though I limited the sale parameters to PayPal & US delivery only.

Now that I've got things figured out, I'm thinking about expanding into international sales. Any advice for first steps into this area?

Are Canada, Europe and Japan the easiest/most likely first locations? Start with one location and add others intermittently?

How the heck do you figure out shipping costs and methods to those locations? (Or is this above my pay grade?)

Anecdotally, what's the biggest challenge with international sales?

Have you had to deal with many returns? Seems that would be a pain.

Any insight/advice/direction would be greatly appreciated!

A big THANKS to this thread and those who've helped me navigate my first steps into the Discogs marketplace. Things have gone quite well since last October - even though I limited the sale parameters to PayPal & US delivery only.

Now that I've got things figured out, I'm thinking about expanding into international sales. Any advice for first steps into this area?

Are Canada, Europe and Japan the easiest/most likely first locations? Start with one location and add others intermittently?

How the heck do you figure out shipping costs and methods to those locations? (Or is this above my pay grade?)

I’m not stateside but I’ve always done international shipping because Ireland is such a small market. I checked the post office website and set up my shipping policy based on weight using their rates. I also only ship recorded outside Ireland, It probably loses me sales because it adds to the price but it really does head off so many potential problems and gives me peace of mind!

Last edited:

Canadian chiming here buyer experience only...

As far as methods of shipping to Canada I recommend using USPS and USPS only.
UPS and FedEx are just as likely as not to add bullshit "brokerage" fees that will be around 50-100%+ the cost of the items being shipped.
I've also had more packages lost by UPS and FedEx than the zero I have ever had undelivered from USPS/Canada Post.

It's on the expensive side, particularly when compared to your media mail - but compared to shipping records within Canada it's actually not all that much more expensive. All a matter of perspective I guess.

I've encountered a pretty solid variance in the cost of shipping from US to Canada and don't know what factors into some of the lower prices - possibly corporate accounts, bulk discounts or other mailing services that are out of my wheelhouse. Typical ballpark for 1-2 LPs is usually in the $17-25 range, I reckon and up from there. I imagine somebody with selling experience can be of more assistance with this part.

Hope this is helpful.

I sell to Canada/Europe. Definitely use only USPS. I do $22 plus $5 per item (beyond 2) for Canada and $30 plus $5 for item (beyond 2) for Europe. That's been about right, give or take a dollar or two either way.

Shipping wise, just pack extra carefully. Haven't had any complaints and it takes about 2-3 weeks at least from VA for those places.

and it takes about 2-3 weeks at least from VA for those places.

Yeah, I forgot to mention this part... takes a looong ass time. That invisible line causes quite a hold-up sometimes!
I'm thrilled if something from the east coast makes it here to western Canada within 2 weeks but definitely plan for it to take 3-4.
On the rare occasions, I've had issues (and every time has been with UPS) I've typically waited until 4 or 5 weeks before raising any concern with the seller. Others may not be as patient, I suppose - but I think allowing up to 4 weeks for sure is reasonable.

Yeah, I forgot to mention this part... takes a looong ass time. That invisible line causes quite a hold-up sometimes!
I'm thrilled if something from the east coast makes it here to western Canada within 2 weeks but definitely plan for it to take 3-4.
On the rare occasions, I've had issues (and every time has been with UPS) I've typically waited until 4 or 5 weeks before raising any concern with the seller. Others may not be as patient, I suppose - but I think allowing up to 4 weeks for sure is reasonable.
Yes, definitely put at least 30 days as the upper edge of your shipper terms. Though from experience, international purchasers tend to be more patient.

Back