Discogs - Help, Tricks, Secrets And Tips

I had someone purchase from me today and within 5 mins messages to cancel order with no reasoning just “cancel order” After peeping their feedback they are a habitual non payer/order canceling buyer. Should I:
A: oblige and cancel the order.
B: do nothing and let the 4 day non payment cancellation go into effect giving them a negative strike.

I have canceled orders at buyers request multiple times for various reasons but this buyer with multiple cancellations is just rubbing me the wrong way.

Thoughts/suggestions?
Yeah that happens from time to time unfortunately. Especially new users and I’m not entirely sure why. I have just cancelled it in the past.

I had someone purchase from me today and within 5 mins messages to cancel order with no reasoning just “cancel order” After peeping their feedback they are a habitual non payer/order canceling buyer. Should I:
A: oblige and cancel the order.
B: do nothing and let the 4 day non payment cancellation go into effect giving them a negative strike.

I have canceled orders at buyers request multiple times for various reasons but this buyer with multiple cancellations is just rubbing me the wrong way.

Thoughts/suggestions?
I had a guy do that a few months ago. Purchase and then immediately ask to cancel.

Same person bought the same record a few days later and actually bought it. Like he was on the fence and was going back and forth. It was a $10 record so nothing that'd break the bank.

I had a guy do that a few months ago. Purchase and then immediately ask to cancel.

Same person bought the same record a few days later and actually bought it. Like he was on the fence and was going back and forth. It was a $10 record so nothing that'd break the bank.
glad they actually followed through eventually for you. This person has 5 neutral and 23 neg reviews in the past 12 months. 63 total negative :oops:. I updated my buyer min feedback to 90% so that would prevent them from buying again.

After reading through the last few stories I have a question about a recent sale before I ship it out.

I have a minimum buyer rating set, but apparently this doesn't prevent new buyers with no feedback. So this person recently purchased a record from me. Payment was prompt, address looks legit, but they have no records in their collection and they joined over a year ago. I really don't want to cancel an order just on a hunch. I know I was a new buyer once and this particular record isn't all that valuable.

So my question is, what can I do to protect myself from any shenanigans? I plan on insuring the package through the USPS, but if the buyer claims nothing was delivered or the wrong thing was delivered anything I can do but pray?

After reading through the last few stories I have a question about a recent sale before I ship it out.

I have a minimum buyer rating set, but apparently this doesn't prevent new buyers with no feedback. So this person recently purchased a record from me. Payment was prompt, address looks legit, but they have no records in their collection and they joined over a year ago. I really don't want to cancel an order just on a hunch. I know I was a new buyer once and this particular record isn't all that valuable.

So my question is, what can I do to protect myself from any shenanigans? I plan on insuring the package through the USPS, but if the buyer claims nothing was delivered or the wrong thing was delivered anything I can do but pray?
I'm not sure if there's really anything you can really do. If it's a really expensive record - you can insure like you're planning in the case of "lost packages". If it's like ridiculously expensive, you might just want to bite the bullet and cancel if you absolutely want to be safe but you risk a bad feedback from the buyer - you can also try talking with them and see if they're ok with you just cancelling and do a cancel per buyer request which nullifies bad rating. But I usually give new buyers a chance and just watch the order more closely. Maybe film yourself pack & ship it or something incase Paypal dispute pops up lol
If it's like a 20 dollar record or something, just ship it out and hope for the best - I'd say most of the time, buyers are legit for lower cost items.

I'm not sure if there's really anything you can really do. If it's a really expensive record - you can insure like you're planning in the case of "lost packages". If it's like ridiculously expensive, you might just want to bite the bullet and cancel if you absolutely want to be safe but you risk a bad feedback from the buyer - you can also try talking with them and see if they're ok with you just cancelling and do a cancel per buyer request which nullifies bad rating. But I usually give new buyers a chance and just watch the order more closely. Maybe film yourself pack & ship it or something incase Paypal dispute pops up lol
If it's like a 20 dollar record or something, just ship it out and hope for the best - I'd say most of the time, buyers are legit for lower cost items.
This is what I am thinking. I want to try and get a reply from them in the chat. I think I'll just end up having a 15 minute long video of me physically packaging it and driving to the post office LOL.

I probably wouldn’t worry too much about them not having any showing in their collection. I’ve sold to several like this without any problem. It could be a secondary account? One the significant other does not know about to make purchase on? Idk lol
My significant other and I share an account and whenever she would try and surprise me with something in the want list I would immediately know by email and notifications. Lol she didn’t think that part through.
I’d just be sure to insure it!

Well, Kevin Shields is being a fucking prick about a download card that wasn’t included in the record I sent. I provided the code and it didn’t work for them. So I sent him the files I had downloaded from Bandcamp via Dropbox. He sent me a very patronizing response. Can’t please everyone I guess. View attachment 122813

Does the submission of the release mention the download code and if it does, did you mention that yours doesn't include the code?

It is easy to overlook, but some people consider these things the same as any other insert and if they are mentioned in the sub notes, then they should be mentioned if it is included in what you are selling, too.

This is another reason I just don't bother selling on Discogs.

But fuck that guy....they seem like an asshole.

I probably spent years using discogs before ever thinking to use the 'my collection' feature. I never would have thought of that as a reason to be suspicious of the buyer. Hope this works out for you.

hate the fact that discogs is forcing us to use paypal .
If your concern is with the new IRS rules, there's no way around it if you're selling via a site like eBay or Etsy or cogs. The entity processing the payment transaction has to report it, whether that entity is PayPal or the site directly.

Last edited:
2022 brings the resolution of setting up a proper discogs collection and wanted page. I only trade with my locals.

Can you do a 1000+lp collection in a year if you pace yourself ?

Having multiple versions/pressings of Lp's in your wanted list clutters things up pretty quickly, any way around that or not really ?

2022 brings the resolution of setting up a proper discogs collection and wanted page. I only trade with my locals.

Having multiple versions/pressings of Lp's in your wanted list clutters things up pretty quickly, any way around that or not really ?
Totally doable. 20 records a week would cover a 1000 in a year. What I did when I did mine is was a small batch on Saturday with coffee, and the same again on Sunday.

I would think ahead of time if you want to use categories. I did, but I have 7”/10/12/LP/CD/Boxset/Doubles. I find that is sufficient (a total collection of about 2000 items).

I would also work my way through in shelf order. Some days it was easy to 40 records as there weren’t many pressings to choose from, but other days only 5 because it was taking 5-10min for each to find the right pressing. If you cherry pick he easy ones first it is possible to miss items.

As for wantlists, there are no self-made categories I don’t think so you are stuck with it being messy.

I don’t know how others feel, but I’m at 800+ and it’s been a big project. I started selling on Discogs this fall, so I’ve been going through my collection closely - cleaning, checking exact pressing, etc. I’m finding at least 15-20% of my entries have have had to be changed. Either I just scanned barcodes and missed exact runoffs or the entry itself has been changed. (This particularly seems to be an issue with big artists with multiple pressings of the same title (Dylan, Stones, Beatles, Springsteen, etc.) and seemingly every 80s indie artists.

I find the app excruciating to use when I’m at a local. Really hard to quickly search multiple pressings of the same title.

I don’t know how others feel, but I’m at 800+ and it’s been a big project. I started selling on Discogs this fall, so I’ve been going through my collection closely - cleaning, checking exact pressing, etc. I’m finding at least 15-20% of my entries have have had to be changed. Either I just scanned barcodes and missed exact runoffs or the entry itself has been changed. (This particularly seems to be an issue with big artists with multiple pressings of the same title (Dylan, Stones, Beatles, Springsteen, etc.) and seemingly every 80s indie artists.

I find the app excruciating to use when I’m at a local. Really hard to quickly search multiple pressings of the same title.
I would add to @jamieanderson1968 that what I’ve found most helpful is creating my own categories and info fields. I’ve added a “Source” field to identify where I got it. I also added the price I paid, what I might ask for if selling and then what the actual “sold” piece was (if you accept offers).

Most helpful is that you can export all the info from your Discogs collection and dump it in a spreadsheet. Much easier to sort through.

If your concern is with the new IRS rules, there's no way around it if you're selling via a site like eBay or Etsy or cogs. The entity processing the payment transaction has to report it, whether that entity is PayPal or the site directly.
IRS as in tax stuff ? Im not in the US.

For me its about having a choice and paypal has poor exchange rates plus paypal fees that can avoid by free bank transfer within the EU.

I also get that the paypal thing helps so much with the monthly billing.

Yeah IMO the app is absolutely garbage for everything except the shake for random, barcode scanning (sometimes misleading as you noted) and it lets you sort by genre. I have deleted it in frustration several times.

I find using the website in desktop mode on my phone is far better and always do that now for finding pressings and managing my collection.

When I did mine I think I was between 4 and 500 and I don't think it took me more than a few weeks. I would just do it whenever listening. Easier if you know which, or about which, pressing most of your albums are.

I'm going back through them all now since I am going through and cleaning them in order and the most annoying thing is their first name alphabetical order, which I refuse to adopt!

Back