Discogs - Help, Tricks, Secrets And Tips

The "Shipping Policies" that Discogs requires does allow you to set how your price increases as the buyer adds items. Weight is how I do mine. I don't know if per-item is an option there, take a look at how they do it.
I just fiddled with that and went with per item. I simplified my terms to basically;

Buyer pays $4 Media Mail Shipping within the U.S.
2 to 5 item; $5 Media Mail Shipping
Buying more than 5 items? Free shipping!

“I’m not responsible for any damages once I hand it off to the Postal Service” is something you find in some sellers’ terms that sounds great if you’re a seller but it isn’t supported by PayPal, USPS, or Discogs policies. The package is your responsibility until it is marked as delivered and you are responsible for damage or loss. Insurance is something you buy for yourself to protect against potential loss/damage and the buyer doesn’t have to request it to receive their buyer protection that they’ll get the item in stated condition without shipping damage. Some sellers may keep it in their terms because they hope the buyer falls for it and doesn’t ask PayPal or Discogs to step in and help them get their money back on a damaged item.

“I’m not responsible for any damages once I hand it off to the Postal Service” is something you find in some sellers’ terms that sounds great if you’re a seller but it isn’t supported by PayPal, USPS, or Discogs policies. The package is your responsibility until it is marked as delivered and you are responsible for damage or loss. Insurance is something you buy for yourself to protect against potential loss/damage and the buyer doesn’t have to request it to receive their buyer protection that they’ll get the item in stated condition without shipping damage. Some sellers may keep it in their terms because they hope the buyer falls for it and doesn’t ask PayPal or Discogs to step in and help them get their money back on a damaged item.
This makes a lot of sense and I never have thought about it. It’s surprising how many other sellers have this as their terms. Reading this again I can see how standoffish it reads.

Thanks for the input!

Also Paypal has seller protection as well as buyer protection which should cover you in the case of package loss (not damage though from what I understand); something worth looking into @folsom_lives if you're planning on using Paypal

I will add that when I ship an expensive package, especially with a record I can't replace if it breaks and I don't want to refund in case of damage, I use Pirateship.com because their insurance is much less expensive than USPS. It's a third party, and I haven't had to use it yet. but for a dollar or two extra, it's some peace of mind, and I think my buyers appreciate it.

What do you guys do when the Discogs address is different than the Paypal address? I asked for confimation from the buyers that the Paypal address is correct, but seems like I could just send it to the Paypal address and be covered. It's taking days for some to respond and I'm not sure the notification system in Discogs is that great. I don't get any of the Discogs emails myself even though I have email notifications turned on.

What do you guys do when the Discogs address is different than the Paypal address? I asked for confimation from the buyers that the Paypal address is correct, but seems like I could just send it to the Paypal address and be covered. It's taking days for some to respond and I'm not sure the notification system in Discogs is that great. I don't get any of the Discogs emails myself even though I have email notifications turned on.
I usually just print the label through Discogs at that point if they don’t get back to me in a few days.

Roughly how old is their discogs account? If you click on their name it will show the join date on the top left. If it's recent, I'd say that address is likely accurate.

I have it listed in my terms that I only ship to the PayPal address and I send the customer a pre-written boilerplate message. I just mention both addresses and let them know I can proceed immediately to packing/shipping if they can receive mail at their PayPal address and that, if they need it sent to their Discogs address, I can arrange a quick refund/re-invoice so they can enter their preferred address in PayPal upon checkout.
Most people can get mail at their PayPal address. A few people need to be re-invoiced. A handful of people take 2-3 days to get back to me. So far, they've all appreciated that I checked and no one has expressed frustration about the delay caused by the confirmation. And I don't mind the 2-3 day wait on my end.
I have seen some other sellers who just always ship to either the PayPal address, no questions asked, as it keeps their seller protection in tact and lets them burn through orders without delay. I have also seen people say they always ship to the Discogs address, no questions asked, which seems riskier to the seller to me but it seems like everyone has their own preference.

When I notice different addresses, I always message for confirmation. If that doesn't work I ship to PayPal address, so I can be covered through with their insurance.

Really getting tired of having to revert the same edit

Take a look at the last 4 months of this sub. Fat Possum originally released it in 2009, but has subsequently released other slightly different pressings over the years, which they do for a lot of their releases I've noticed.

No one seems to read prior edits before changing the date to 2009 - so I'm EI'ing every change on this one from now on.

Really getting tired of having to revert the same edit

Take a look at the last 4 months of this sub. Fat Possum originally released it in 2009, but has subsequently released other slightly different pressings over the years.

No one seems to read prior edits before changing the date to 2009 - so I'm EI'ing every change on this one from now on.

I've been enjoying the great Phoebe Bridgers Copycat Killer Repress debate. Almost feel like removing it from my collection so I stop getting email notices.

Back