Discogs - Help, Tricks, Secrets And Tips

What's the deal with this seller's pricing?
Really high prices, but "FREE SHIPPING!", so it evens out?

Seriously, they tout that they are "Discogs’ longest running vendor – since 2007!" and they have over 196,000 items for sale. Yet they have only 341 ratings. Seems off.

Last edited:
What's the deal with this seller's pricing?

It's interesting...if you go into most of these, there's usually one other seller with a noticeably lower but still huge price in a different country. i almost wonder if the model is if RareXports, if someone does order, just takes the order from the one of the other accounts (Firstlinedrop is all over it as is Ozzie1234.) or maybe they're the same company. Most of these have no other sellers or are actually rare variants, just at huge prices.

Under the old system international shipping as a general rule required quotes before orders were placed. Under the new system you should have a policy(ies) established for your international audience so that an order is automatically calculated. which is great if you've been keeping up with shipping cost increases by updating your policies regularly. If you're like me you set them up back when it was first required to do so and never looked at them again and then you get an order from an international buyer and eat a $12 shit sandwhich because shipping international is roughly double what it used to be.

Just checked my shipping policies for overseas, bumped them up by $1, they were pretty close.

This is a great page to do quick calculations in lbs, except Discogs policies are set in grams.

Their feedback is a bit old. One in 2020 and most 2018 and earlier. Their seller terms are a bit humorous.

At first glance, it seems like they're using Discogs for a purpose other than to make direct sales on Discogs.

Looks like we got some VMP drama again...

I got a random "Needs Minor Changes" vote on Vinyl Me, Please. Exclusive Pressing

Some user is removing Club Edition to a lot of releases...some of which were not correct.

Since there really isn't a true Discogs definition of what a "Club" release is, we have always had it that if a release is behind any sort of membership then it is a club release.

Releases that can be bought initially by anyone aren't Club releases, as some releases from VMP now can be bought by anyone for a premium price.

There is also a thread that is started up... Discogs Forum - Club Edition Tag as it relates to VINYL ME PLEASE releases.

There was a first one, but seems to only get a response from the person that is making all the mass edits.

I first noticed it on an edit for - Fleet Foxes – Crack-Up (2017, Blue w/ Gold, Vinyl)

The one user asked a question about the Club tag - and then made edits anyway...without knowing or getting a answer.

It's funny that I voted that users correction correct and then they go and vote me NMiC

Last edited:

I got a random "Needs Minor Changes" vote on Vinyl Me, Please. Exclusive Pressing

Some user is removing Club Edition to a lot of releases...some of which were not correct.

Since there really isn't a true Discogs definition of what a "Club" release is, we have always had it that if a release is behind any sort of membership then it is a club release.

Releases that can be bought initially by anyone aren't Club releases, as some releases from VMP now can be bought by anyone for a premium price.

There is also a thread that is started up... Discogs Forum - Club Edition Tag as it relates to VINYL ME PLEASE releases.

There was a first one, but seems to only get a response from the person that is making all the mass edits.

I first noticed it on an edit for - Fleet Foxes – Crack-Up (2017, Blue w/ Gold, Vinyl)

The one user asked a question about the Club tag - and then made edits anyway...without knowing or getting a answer.

It's funny that I voted that users correction correct and then they go and vote me NMiC

:rolleyes:

Way late to this but my .02 is that the club made the edition so its a club edition no matter who was allowed to buy it.

Right?

Way late to this but my .02 is that the club made the edition so its a club edition no matter who was allowed to buy it.

Right?

TBH, I really don't care one way or the other, when we first started adding Club the tag to VMP releases people questioned why we were adding the tag, as VMP isn't the same type of "Club" as the usual Columbia House and such, it was new.

It was discussed at some point when adding the "Club Edition" to VMP releases was that it was behind a membership paywall. So without the paywall, anyone can buy it so the release isn't behind a paywall of a membership, that means for those releases, VMP is just an exclusive retailer and not a acting as a "Club".

It really comes down to another issue that Discogs seems to have often, and that is a lack of definitions. When there is no definition of "Club Edition" in the Guideline, it is down to any users own definition...or buried somewhere in the forum that a consensus was made years ago that is difficult to search for.

TBH, I really don't care one way or the other, when we first started adding Club the tag to VMP releases people questioned why we were adding the tag, as VMP isn't the same type of "Club" as the usual Columbia House and such, it was new.

It was discussed at some point when adding the "Club Edition" to VMP releases was that it was behind a membership paywall. So without the paywall, anyone can buy it so the release isn't behind a paywall of a membership, that means for those releases, VMP is just a retailer and not a acting as a "Club".
Yeah, besides the "tracks" the only thing that is unique to being a member is the pricing. So it it really a club release?

I never understood why fanclub exclusives (like U2 subscriber gifts) don't qualify for the club tag. Because it's not a record club?

It was discussed at some point when adding the "Club Edition" to VMP releases was that it was behind a membership paywall. So without the paywall, anyone can buy it so the release isn't behind a paywall of a membership, that means for those releases, VMP is just an exclusive retailer and not a acting as a "Club".

You cant buy Essentials, Classics or R&HH and now Country when they are first released unless you are a club member.

So with that then some are and some are not.

I still say if they club is selling them and its a special edition that was pressed for said club, its a club edition.

I have no horse in the race just thinking that calling them club makes sense.

You cant buy Essentials, Classics or R&HH and now Country when they are first released unless you are a club member.

Right, those are all "Club Editions" - even if sometime later they become available to anyone.

This current topic is for all the non-Tracks - as there was only 1 track when this was first discussed. VMP also wasn't making things available to people without a membership.

The first release I can remember that didn't need a membership was the Fiona - The Idler Wheel...

In that sub edit, "about 1 year ago", I mentioned -

I didn't add the "Club Edition" tag, as this was open for purchase to anyone.

But maybe that needs further discussion.

It seems this is finally getting that discussion.

To me, what LeeVing says makes sense. If it's part of one of the tracks that you have to be a club member to get, it's a club release. If VMP is just functioning as an exclusive retailer than that is something different to me at least. Like Amazon now has a record club, do we qualify all Amazon exclusives now as "Club Editions" because they now have a club that exists even if those records aren't affiliated with said club? Not that this really matters much at all, but it seems like a differentiator that has some value to me.

With that said, Magnolia seems to use Club Edition for items that were part of the club or for exclusive retailer versions so...who knows really, there's no way this is consistent because Discogs is bad at definitions.

To me, what LeeVing says makes sense. If it's part of one of the tracks that you have to be a club member to get, it's a club release. If VMP is just functioning as an exclusive retailer than that is something different to me at least. Like Amazon now has a record club, do we qualify all Amazon exclusives now as "Club Editions" because they now have a club that exists even if those records aren't affiliated with said club? Not that this really matters much at all, but it seems like a differentiator that has some value to me.

With that said, Magnolia seems to use Club Edition for items that were part of the club or for exclusive retailer versions so...who knows really, there's no way this is consistent because Discogs is bad at definitions.

One of the issues someone brought up, and I get their point, is that if you are a member you don't know what is open to the public.

Only someone that isn't a member knows that it was open for them to buy. Another issue is that VMP deletes the pages once things sell out, so there is no going back to check things - sometimes when these sell out quickly, the page is gone before the records are mailed out.

My thinking is that if you don't know to add the tag or not, don't.

If you really think it's a Club Edition, but it's not, don't get upset when someone that isn't a member removes the tag because the release was open for non-members.

This issue really isn't something that would have come up for other Club Editions for Columbia House or the RCA Record Club releases, as they never had a retail side of things.

If I could pick a way, I'd make just what is released via the Tracks all Club Editions - everything else VMP releases non-club editions. Even those exclusives that only members can buy.

And what about Bandbox Exclusives? You can technically just do a one time purchase for a higher price without subscribing but I've seen them marked club edition as well.

I put in my thoughts on the Discogs thread. Honestly, I totally get the argument in there but it really feels like it's from people who are very used to VMP and it doesn't account for how other clubs handle their work. It probably ultimately depends on whether you want releases over-represented as club releases or under-represented. I also don't really care that much about where it ends up but I don't think the definition provided accounts for the fact that clubs often have store wings that function differently (VMP does to to be clear but they do know that...)

Back