Definitive Audiophile pressings

i just don't know how much more jazz I need to own hahaha. At this point every time a new list of jazz reissues gets announced I feel exhausted more than excited. That being said I keep discovering the odd gem buried in the lists.
I hear ya. A bunch of the Pablo ones are a bit on the bluesier side which helps differentiate them from all the other series going on right now. I don't buy any of the BN stuff unless its massively on sale any more.

i just don't know how much more jazz I need to own hahaha. At this point every time a new list of jazz reissues gets announced I feel exhausted more than excited. That being said I keep discovering the odd gem buried in the lists.
I keep like 10 jazz staples so if anyone ever asks "got any jazz" I can pull them out and pretend like I'm an absolute jazzbo

I keep like 10 jazz staples so if anyone ever asks "got any jazz" I can pull them out and pretend like I'm an absolute jazzbo
i-think-you-should-leave-paul-bufano.gif

What is it you don’t like about jazz? Is it all jazz or just avant-garde / free jazz?

It just irritates me. I really like some vocal jazz, although it’s mainly the quality of the singers to be fair, but instrumental jazz just rubs me up the wrong way. Free jazz is just mad, which I kinda admire but equally don’t want to listen to.

Also I’m being a good host and giving people booze.

It just irritates me. I really like some vocal jazz, although it’s mainly the quality of the singers to be fair, but instrumental jazz just rubs me up the wrong way. Free jazz is just mad, which I kinda admire but equally don’t want to listen to.

Also I’m being a good host and giving people booze.
I just feel like you need a good hard-bop session to win you over! (Ps. that’s not a euphemism!)

I just feel like you need a good hard-bop session to win you over! (Ps. that’s not a euphemism!)

I mean I bought some Miles Davis and Coltrane stuff and had all those VMP classics back in the day. I listened to them. I appreciated the musicians. I didn’t enjoy it. It wasn’t for me. That Fancy Free album is still the least enjoyable musical experience I’ve had, and I’ve heard Crazy Town.

I have a few classical records and CDs for my high brow listening.

Listening to a comparison of Candy-O "Let's Go"

Mofi 33- has that boxed in processed sound like pillows are on each side of my speakers. The soundstage is very narrow. Volume is much lower. The claps don't carry nearly as much sound. Vocals are ok, but nothing noteworthy. Percussion is pretty decent. It's just not memorable sounding to me.

RHF starts out with a bang of a sound. Keyboards are way more musical sounding. The air on the stage is significantly more wide open. Drums have better pop and decay. Snares snap nicely.
Claps have that sound of hands hitting together. Everything is livelier. The lows and mids punch nicely although there's not a ton down low in this track.

This is only my second spin of the RHF, but it's absolutely killer on my system. I'm really happy with it going forward.

Sprung for this yesterday, at a pretty good discount from its listed price. Reviews on discogs are glowing and its a greaaaaat performance. Available on streaming. Realized I really need to get more Sarah Vaughan in my collection, I stream her music all the time, but own none on vinyl.

Circling back on this. Spun the ones I had yesterday. They are all enjoyable. You might enjoy Emil Gilels - The Unreleased Recital At The Concertgebouw if you like classical piano. I also have Duke Ellington - Live At The Berlin Jazz Festival and Ella Fitzgerald - Live At The Concertgebouw 1961. Both are enjoyable but not sure they are must-haves.

Listening to a comparison of Candy-O "Let's Go"

Mofi 33- has that boxed in processed sound like pillows are on each side of my speakers. The soundstage is very narrow. Volume is much lower. The claps don't carry nearly as much sound. Vocals are ok, but nothing noteworthy. Percussion is pretty decent. It's just not memorable sounding to me.

RHF starts out with a bang of a sound. Keyboards are way more musical sounding. The air on the stage is significantly more wide open. Drums have better pop and decay. Snares snap nicely.
Claps have that sound of hands hitting together. Everything is livelier. The lows and mids punch nicely although there's not a ton down low in this track.

This is only my second spin of the RHF, but it's absolutely killer on my system. I'm really happy with it going forward.

I totally agree. It's like a veil is lifted compared to the MOFI. Love it!

Back