Definitive Audiophile pressings

LITA just added a heap of brazilian records that are getting reissued by Polysom, many quite sought after apparently! Added them all to my streaming, excited to dive in with the ones I don't know. Lots of Jorge Ben, Gal Costa, Gilberto Gil, and Tim Maia
Check PBC ;)

these are represses of an ongoing series. I have quite a few of them and they are solid.

So I purchased the 45 RPM of Pearl Jam - Vs. prior to Christmas and am finally getting around to spinning it. I think it sounds fantastic but in comparing it with my 33 RPM single disc version and I am kinda bummed that they skimped on the jacket for the 2xLP version. The single disc pressing came in a Tip-On jacket and a printed liner notes insert. The 2xLP version came with some printed inner sleeves and a standard jacket.

So I purchased the 45 RPM of Pearl Jam - Vs. prior to Christmas and am finally getting around to spinning it. I think it sounds fantastic but in comparing it with my 33 RPM single disc version and I am kinda bummed that they skimped on the jacket for the 2xLP version. The single disc pressing came in a Tip-On jacket and a printed liner notes insert. The 2xLP version came with some printed inner sleeves and a standard jacket.
Yeah, I noticed the same thing about the jacket. Also my first copy of the 45rpm version was all scratched up from the printed inner sleeves. I could feel grit on the inside.

If you expect Pearl Jam to go the extra mile, you will always be disappointed. You should be thankful they included the whole album. Several of their vault releases aren’t even a full show.

Yeah, I noticed the same thing about the jacket. Also my first copy of the 45rpm version was all scratched up from the printed inner sleeves. I could feel grit on the inside.
Also, another minor issue with the presentation, the single disc has labels that match up with the CD art (it’s a super basic brownish orange color) while the 30th anniversary has newer basic labels.

I know it’s all about the music but I tend to prefer to hold on to just one copy of album if possible but because of these differences and the fact that the single LP version still sounds good (just not as good as the 2xLP) I will probably end up hangin on to both copies for the time being unfortunately.

Also, another minor issue with the presentation, the single disc has labels that match up with the CD art (it’s a super basic brownish orange color) while the 30th anniversary has newer basic labels.

I know it’s all about the music but I tend to prefer to hold on to just one copy of album if possible but because of these differences and the fact that the single LP version still sounds good (just not as good as the 2xLP) I will probably end up hangin on to both copies for the time being unfortunately.
I always loved the color of that CD and how simple it was. Paired well with the gray cover art.

honestly have no clue! someone on another forum asked how the MoFi of Crime of the Century was and I said it was excellent. Then the guy said oh you need to hear the canadian pressing! i'll send it to you. and then this showed up with it...

@Joe Mac it has absolutely nothing to do with Boomboom holding a special place in my basement...uh...er.....heart.
I realize this is VERY late... But how did you find that half speed Crime of the Century vs the Mofi?

I realize this is VERY late... But how did you find that half speed Crime of the Century vs the Mofi?
I’ll have to revisit it…think I still have it actually haha. I remember the two being slightly different but not night and day. From memory I think the Canadian one had a bit more high end detail but it’s been a minute

I’ll have to revisit it…think I still have it actually haha. I remember the two being slightly different but not night and day. From memory I think the Canadian one had a bit more high end detail but it’s been a minute
The guy... didn't want it back? You still got the abraxas too?

Interesting turn of events from the Prestige series done by AP. Craft will use Chad's facilities for pressing and mastering but they want their name on the product.

Interesting turn of events from the Prestige series done by AP. Craft will use Chad's facilities for pressing and mastering but they want their name on the product.
Craft and Concord work together a ton now. They had that weird breakup 10 years ago or so when Chad supposedly got caught overpressing licenses and selling test pressings. Chad seems to do the whole "Scratch my back i'll scratch yours" thing which is probably smart of him. He's done it with the Hendrix family too. Wouldnt be shocked to see some new AP blues titles come out in the next year or so.

And not shocked that QRP is back to pressing non-AP stuff now since those 100,000 Steely Dan UHQRs don't seem to be flying off shelves...I like Lutthan's work and nice to see him get to do a series like this.

The bigger news here is that these aren't just Prestige bluesville titles. They are including VeeJay, Vanguard, Riverside, Stax, Prestige, and Specialty under this umbrella. Looking like some Albert King in their facebook profile pic as well....Live Blues Wire is in there.

This was what the email announcement said:

Announcing the launch of Bluesville Records — Craft’s revitalized reissue series and editorial platform which honors America’s bedrock music genre. In addition to releasing foundational blues titles from such legendary labels as Prestige, Vee-Jay, Riverside, Vanguard, Stax and Rounder, Bluesville Records will also elevate the legacies of the trailblazing artists behind these albums while honoring their immeasurable impact on modern music. For more information, visit bluesvillerecords.com and follow Bluesville Records on Facebook, Instagram and YouTube.

Each handpicked Bluesville title will be released on vinyl in partnership with Acoustic Sounds. The first two titles, John Lee Hooker’s Burning Hell and Skip James’ Today!, will arrive June 7 and are available for pre-order today. The rollout will continue throughout the year and beyond, with classic titles from Albert King, Lightnin’ Hopkins, Jimmy Reed and Blind Gary Davis, among others.

The albums will feature all-analog mastering (AAA) by GRAMMY®-nominated engineer Matthew Lutthans (The MasteringLab) and will be pressed on 180-gram vinyl at QRP. Faithfully reproduced tip-on jackets round out every release, while obis will offer insightful reflections on the album by GRAMMY®-winning producer, writer and musician, Scott Billington. Additionally, each title will be available to stream in remastered hi-res audio.

Craft and Concord work together a ton now.
Assume you mean Craft and AP. But yes, aware of "Chad's ways" both spoken publicly and of course, not. I think this is a good thing, though I know that dealing with some of these D2C offerings have not been great. I have a friend who has been back and forth with Craft about a completely messed up copy of Brilliant Corners for months. Cue in the issues with Rhino's High Fidelity series. We shall see. Just remembering from the old days - this is why retailers were in business, to deal with customers so the companies would not have to themselves. It seems weird that they are now changing the playbook.

Assume you mean Craft and AP. But yes, aware of "Chad's ways" both spoken publicly and of course, not. I think this is a good thing, though I know that dealing with some of these D2C offerings have not been great. I have a friend who has been back and forth with Craft about a completely messed up copy of Brilliant Corners for months. Cue in the issues with Rhino's High Fidelity series. We shall see. Just remembering from the old days - this is why retailers were in business, to deal with customers so the companies would not have to themselves. It seems weird that they are now changing the playbook.
ha yea that's what i meant.

i do not think these are only D2C either by the way. they are already popping up on other sites.

Back