Definitive Audiophile pressings

I've not listened properly but a quick needle drop sounds good, good bass, clean and comes in poly lined inners

View attachment 174475
But....are they poly lined inners?

Unless I've got some weird ones, because mine have a poly "window" and it's straight paper all the way down.

I only looked because when I removed the first record from the sleeve I commented to myself, "Self, that sounds like the scraping of paper."

Weird choice.

Unless I've got some weird ones, because mine have a poly "window" and it's straight paper all the way down.

I only looked because when I removed the first record from the sleeve I commented to myself, "Self, that sounds like the scraping of paper."

Weird choice.
wut

So they're like, fake poly sleeves.. That's insane.

Stakes is High slaps and my copy is clean but the record itself is quite dirty and has paper scuffs all over. Also, WTF my inners are the same as @Diaper a Jazz Baby Here. So weird! Never had that before.

Vinyl was cut by Jeff Powell. I briefly compared it to my single disc OG. Sound is similar but obviously way louder and better bass. Maybe slightly better separation too on the new one. It’s a winner in my book.

I don't have anything to compare it with, and while it doesn't sound bad, I know it must sound better. Still, happy with it.

The next two are from the LP100 series from Japan, mid 2000's IIRC.

That MOFI sounds great. Unless you are an audiophile obsessionist, no real need to go further.

Those two Japanese pressings are FABULOUS. hang on to them. The series they are part of is very, very good.

So the Coltrane’s Sound from Rhino Hi-Fi has a great soundstage, floor is dead silent, imaging is very nice. Separation seems nice. Having nothing to compare this to from a vinyl standpoint, I would say it is easily on par with the Acoustic Sound Series from Analogue Productions. Very nice package over all as well. Glossy, heavy tip on gatefold. Flat heavy weight vinyl. I honestly don’t really care about the labels, in fact I like that it easily identifies the edition. Haven’t read the liners yet. Very solid purchase.
They need the specal labels, or people might mistake it for the excellent sounding BG reissue of a few years ago that sold for $25 and feel ripped off.

Fwiw, the 15% Rhino (US) coupon posted a few pages back worked for me a couple days ago. I found a couple friends who wanted either Coltrane or Cars. I wanted Cars. I ordered 3 items for $101.95, over the $100 free shipping threshold.

$34/record shipped. If mine was Coltrane, one might say I still got ripped off compared to a $25 record released 13 years ago (at 13-years-ago-prices) and now available used for exactly $33.99 on Discogs (I could have saved $.01). Or, if you don’t have friends, buy 3 and sell 2 for not-flipper prices when it sells out and get your $ back or maybe a local would give you $34 on consignment bc they can sell it in 5 minutes for a quick $8-10 bc it’ll sell instantly at a fair price

Last edited:
Understood. But not my point really.

I appreciate that for those not in the game in 2010, the new Rhino will be fantastic.

But the 2010 - BG, the best in the business, RTI, best plant anywhere, $25, fair price. THAT is definitive, for me.

What is this thread, anyways? Definitive Audiophile Pressings, or Definitive Until The Next One Comes Out Audiophile Pressings?

Again, no knock on any company bringing out a new pressing of something long sold out and in demand. Kudos for making it sound good.

This new Rhino model, though? Not for me. I already have Definitive Enough For Me Pressings.

Understood. But not my point really.

I appreciate that for those not in the game in 2010, the new Rhino will be fantastic.

But the 2010 - BG, the best in the business, RTI, best plant anywhere, $25, fair price. THAT is definitive, for me.

What is this thread, anyways? Definitive Audiophile Pressings, or Definitive Until The Next One Comes Out Audiophile Pressings?

Again, no knock on any company bringing out a new pressing of something long sold out and in demand. Kudos for making it sound good.

This new Rhino model, though? Not for me. I already have Definitive Enough For Me Pressings.
Like beauty, “definitive” is in the eye of the beholder so, yeah, it may be the next reissue that comes out or it may not, or it may be the next one for some people but not others, etc.

I don’t like the Rhino model either. I gamed it a bit with that coupon and the $100 free shipping threshold, and I’m encouraging others to game it too if the coupon is still good. I wasn’t buying at full retail or with just the coupon and no free shipping.

I don’t have The Cars. I did decades ago — bought during Jr. High School. So I’m not seeking more definitive. I don’t have Coltrane’s Sound either, but I held off on it bc I think I may prefer mono. Unless I pay a huge premium for an early copy, the 2019 Japanese mono reissue seems (maybe?) to still be available new shipped to US for $45, and I don’t care about AAA when other factors are in play.

Last edited:

Weird choice.

That's taking cost cutting to the extreme. Mine thankfully are fully polylined and the records are clean.

I need pictures. I'm not entirely sure if you are just trying to wind up @NightMather or if this is really a thing

That's taking cost cutting to the extreme. Mine thankfully are fully polylined and the records are clean.

I need pictures. I'm not entirely sure if you are just trying to wind up @NightMather or if this is really a thing
Upon hearing about these rare fake poly lined sleeves I too ventured out into the real world and purchased this album despite the fact that it forced me to speak to other actual people in real life which, if I'm being perfectly honest, ew... I did this partially because I wanted this album, but also because if it actually had fake poly sleeves I was going to sink the entire continent into the sea.

Alas and alack, I must report back that my copy also has fully poly lined sleeves. So the continent lives to float(?) on another day, for better or for worse. (Probably worse)

Fwiw, the 15% Rhino (US) coupon posted a few pages back worked for me a couple days ago. I found a couple friends who wanted either Coltrane or Cars. I wanted Cars. I ordered 3 items for $101.95, over the $100 free shipping threshold.

$34/record shipped. If mine was Coltrane, one might say I still got ripped off compared to a $25 record released 13 years ago (at 13-years-ago-prices) and now available used for exactly $33.99 on Discogs (I could have saved $.01). Or, if you don’t have friends, buy 3 and sell 2 for not-flipper prices when it sells out and get your $ back or maybe a local would give you $34 on consignment bc they can sell it in 5 minutes for a quick $8-10 bc it’ll sell instantly at a fair price
Glad it worked, also it was 25%. Since you seem to not care about the other 10% I saved you, you can just send it along to me in cash, care of my lawyer @Mathew Chupacabra J.D.

Glad it worked, also it was 25%. Since you seem to not care about the other 10% I saved you, you can just send it along to me in cash, care of my lawyer @Mathew Chupacabra J.D.
Fucking hell, who let you out? What have I told you about threatening large immoveable land masses? Don't you have to work tomorrow you absolute jackass...

i have the worst clients.

Upon hearing about these rare fake poly lined sleeves I too ventured out into the real world and purchased this album despite the fact that it forced me to speak to other actual people in real life which, if I'm being perfectly honest, ew... I did this partially because I wanted this album, but also because if it actually had fake poly sleeves I was going to sink the entire continent into the sea.

Alas and alack, I must report back that my copy also has fully poly lined sleeves. So the continent lives to float(?) on another day, for better or for worse. (Probably worse)

You mean you could have saved us all from American “sports” and failed. I’m not mad, I’m disappointed.

Back