Definitive Audiophile pressings

I was considering maybe ordering Cars but hearing about those mailers and the fact that Rhino CS takes over a month to respond means that international shipping is out the window on this one, zero chance it would show up in one piece.
Seems this is the best option for northern folks.

And in the EU:

Hey nice find, I actually thought Udiscover carried Rhino but nope, this is the correct avenue, and it ships from Toronto so less likelihood of damage. Might just give this a shot. Thanks

Yeah like half the discogs comments are about how terrible Rhinos packaging is and that all their jackets are damaged. So obnoxious to go this route and then not even bother to ship in proper mailers.
This is how I feel about many aspects of vinyl records these days, particularly cheap paper inner sleeves.

Some labels go to great lengths to procure the best source, mastering engineer, and then they press it at some shithole and shove it into a generic white paper sleeve.

Then by the time you get it, the record is scuffed the fuck up with paper dust imbedded into the grooves, and all that special attention to the sourcing and mastering engineer is for nothing because they wanted to save 9 cents per unit and not put the damn record in a poly-lined sleeve.
frustrated-ugh.gif

This is how I feel about many aspects of vinyl records these days, particularly cheap paper inner sleeves.

Some labels go to great lengths to procure the best source, mastering engineer, and then they press it at some shithole and shove it into a generic white paper sleeve.

Then by the time you get it, the record is scuffed the fuck up with paper dust imbedded into the grooves, and all that special attention to the sourcing and mastering engineer is for nothing because they wanted to save 9 cents per unit and not put the damn record in a poly-lined sleeve.
View attachment 174279
Yyyyyep.

On nearly every Verve By Request release on Discogs you will find at least one comment with misdirected rage at Jack White for not using poly lined sleeves, as if the label had insisted and he said NO as opposed to the label didn't want to pay whatever amount is on the pricing sheet that TMR makes publicly available on their website, to upgrade the inners.

On nearly every Verve By Request release on Discogs you will find at least one comment with misdirected rage at Jack White for not using poly lined sleeves, as if the label had insisted and he said NO as opposed to the label didn't want to pay whatever amount is on the pricing sheet that TMR makes publicly available on their website, to upgrade the inners.
I probably left a couple of those reviews.

Jack White: look at my fancy, schmancy yellow record pressing plant. We are keeping vinyl alive.

Yet every TMR pressing I own is mediocre to poor. Common theme on all is surface noise.

Does anyone in this thread own a TMR pressing that'd they consider audiophile quality?

Jack White: look at my fancy, schmancy yellow record pressing plant. We are keeping vinyl alive.

Yet every TMR pressing I own is mediocre to poor. Common theme on all is surface noise.

Does anyone in this thread own a TMR pressing that'd they consider audiophile quality?
Yes. My vault copy of Trout Mask Replica is fucking amazing - best soundstage of any record I own and is dead silent and flat.

Nearly everything I've never gotten from TMR is horribly pressed. I think maybe the direct to acetate in store Billie Eilish might be the best thing I have from them pressing wise.

Yes. My vault copy of Trout Mask Replica is fucking amazing - best soundstage of any record I own and is dead silent and flat.
If anybody is looking for a copy of this my local got in a whole bunch of those TMR Vaults releases last week including Beefheart’s Trout Mask Replica that come with all the bonus material for $99.99. Not sure if that’s a good deal or not since that albums charm escapes me but it looks like it’s still available…

If anybody is looking for a copy of this my local got in a whole bunch of those TMR Vaults releases last week including Beefheart’s Trout Mask Replica that come with all the bonus material for $99.99. Not sure if that’s a good deal or not since that albums charm escapes me but it looks like it’s still available…
I mean it and my art ensemble record are in my collection so that one day I might figure them out. I don’t remotely understand either of them.

I mean it and my art ensemble record are in my collection so that one day I might figure them out. I don’t remotely understand either of them.

I love it when you get confused and scared by a record. It’s comedy gold! I need more blow by blow accounts of you not understanding things in real time….

I love it when you get confused and scared by a record. It’s comedy gold! I need more blow by blow accounts of you not understanding things in real time….

To anyone who missed this it’s gold. Lee listening to a pretty harmless stoner/indie/britpop album and really not getting it, still one of my favourite afternoons on the forum…

Post in thread 'The Official Needles and Grooves 1001 Album Generator Project'
The Official Needles and Grooves 1001 Album Generator Project

Back