Definitive Audiophile pressings

Went by my local over lunch to pick up the new MMJ Live album. They had a 2010 Kevin Grey Record Industry pressing of Jeff Buckley’s Grace so I picked that up gonna do a shoot out with my Euro MOV pressing to see which one I enjoy more.
I had both. I'll be stunned if you choose differently than me. You checked the deadwax to confirm it's his? They used those jackets for a bunch of different ones. Even the 2010 labeled ones.

Unfortunately, it’s either really dirty or not pressed as well because it’s very noisy compared to my MOV pressing. I am gonna need to run it through the spin clean and see if that will clear out the static the loud sections are noticeably more dynamic but I can’t get past the static on the quieter sections.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, it’s either really dirty or not pressed as well because it’s very noisy compared to my MOV pressing. I am gonna need to run it through the spin clean and see if that will clear out the static the loud sections are noticeably more dynamic but I can get past the static on the quieter sections.
Yes. That was my issue with both my copies as well. They were noisy. I got one that was clean in the end except for some pops. And yes it's far more dynamic with a much much deeper stage, and extension than the MOV.

Oh. And by the way, impressed with both the Clear Nas Illmatic EU press and the Pink 2LP Tori Amos "Under The Pink" pressing (both Optimal). Both sound really good. Some issues on the last track of Tori with some distortion on the strings which is something I've noticed a few times with stuff out of Abbey Road, which this was. But it's minor. Rest of it is quite impressive all in.

Oh. And by the way, impressed with both the Clear Nas Illmatic EU press and the Pink 2LP Tori Amos "Under The Pink" pressing (both Optimal). Both sound really good. Some issues on the last track of Tori with some distortion on the strings which is something I've noticed a few times with stuff out of Abbey Road, which this was. But it's minor. Rest of it is quite impressive all in.
How does "Halftime" sound? A lot of comments to the various represses say that it's got a lot of sibilance.

How does "Halftime" sound? A lot of comments to the various represses say that it's got a lot of sibilance.
It's got some, but it's not all that different from the high res stream to be honest. That track just had sibilance on it, even without the vinyl aspect. I'm sure on some setups it would be worse than others but in terms of IGD etc it's not something I even would have registered as being particularly bad. Sure the sound degrades somewhat because it's the last track on the side but that's the case with a lot of pressings and it's by no means as bad as some stuff I have. I think it's perfectly fine, also from what I've read like every single version of this ever pressed to vinyl has the same "sibilance" issues so I don't think there's much in it. It sounds like early 90s hip hop.

Unfortunately, it’s either really dirty or not pressed as well because it’s very noisy compared to my MOV pressing. I am gonna need to run it through the spin clean and see if that will clear out the static the loud sections are noticeably more dynamic but I can’t get past the static on the quieter sections.

Yes. That was my issue with both my copies as well. They were noisy. I got one that was clean in the end except for some pops. And yes it's far more dynamic with a much much deeper stage, and extension than the MOV.

I've got the 2010 Kevin Gray and it sadly also has more noise then I'd like. Still sounds amazing, it's only Lilac Wine and a bit of lead in on both sides so not too bad. One of my best sounding records!

Back