Definitive Audiophile pressings

Deustche Grammophone has a new "Original Source" Audiophile Pure Analog Vinyl series starting in June, these are some of their more celebrated catalog titles with works by Beethoven, Mahler, Stravincky and Schubert kicking things off:

I have an OG of that Beethoven Kleiber one and that’s hands down the best recording that I own.

Deustche Grammophone has a new "Original Source" Audiophile Pure Analog Vinyl series starting in June, these are some of their more celebrated catalog titles with works by Beethoven, Mahler, Stravincky and Schubert kicking things off:
For someone who doesn't know shit about fuck (me) about Classical music, would anyone care to recommend one of these as a must have? Or some AP or something? I'd like to have a couple classical audiophile grade records in my collection.

For someone who doesn't know shit about fuck (me) about Classical music, would anyone care to recommend one of these as a must have? Or some AP or something? I'd like to have a couple classical audiophile grade records in my collection.
They are, all 4, considered landmark performances. The Kleiber in particular.

However, two things to note. DG, during the period these recordings originate from, heavily used multi-miking and spotlighting, which can be less than natural sounding. Decca, and even EMI recordings of the period sound better typically.

Second - classical music on vinyl is a route to frustration, as it really does require perfectly silent surfaces. And, in my experience, high resolution digital can and very often does sound hugely superior.

BTW, none of these recordings are particularly hard to come by in original pressings at a cheaper price. True NM is essential, but I would guess they still sound better.

The Kleiber Beethoven 7th, in particular, is by consensus considered a reference recording of this work, and on most good to great systems sounds like you’re sitting 10th row center in the Wiener Musikverein (considered by many the best sounding orchestral concert hall in the world).

Other good AP/Speakers Corner recordings I would recommend for a classical beginner include:

These are all great sounding, accessible recordings for someone new to classical.

Well because you good for nothing lazy assholes had no comment you forced my hand so OKAY FINE I'LL ANSWER MY OWN QUESTION ARE YOU HAPPY NOW

I went and bought it and the answer is yes the AS RKS wins out but the VMP isn't super far behind. Better highs on the AS, better extension, better stage, and more separation in the highs but less bass, slightly thinner sound while the mid have less separation and are a little bit muddy. VMP is a bit flatter all around but it's a bit more full bodied with more low end and in some cases a bit more emphasis on the mids and percussion. All in they're both good but top points go to the AS.

Last edited:
Well because you good for nothing lazy assholes had no comment you forced my hand so OKAY FINE I'LL ANSWER MY OWN QUESTION ARE YOU HAPPY NOW

I went and bought it and the answer is yes the AS RKS wins out but the VMP isn't super far behind. Better highs on the AS, better extension, better stage, and more separation in the highs but less bass, slightly thinner sound while the mid have less separation and are a little bit muddy. VMP is a bit flatter all around but it's a bit more full bodied with more low end and in some cases a bit more emphasis on the mids and percussion. All in they're both good but top points go to the AS.

This sounds like a classic case of Zaireeka syndrome.

Back