Definitive Audiophile pressings

Totally agree. I had a dumb smile on my face for the entire first listen.
On my third listen (thanks snow for a WFH day!). The strain in Bob's voice on "Waiting in Vain" is chilling. "Jamming" never sounded so good.

I really hope they do a few more of his albums down the road at some point, because man these two releases are absolutely killer and easily top 5 in my collection.

Feels a bit weird to say this with this album, but Pink Flag by Wire, the 2018 repress is really good. I'm sure an OG would have a bit more of that raw punk feel, this is definitely very... clean. But man it's got good dynamics, good stage, punchy and it's dead quiet. Optimal pressed. And the jacket and inner are actually decent quality. Really nice for only about $30 CAD. Very impressed
@yukbon this update is for you.

Last edited:
Feels a bit weird to say this with this album, but Pink Flag by Wire, the 2018 repress is really good. I'm sure an OG would have a bit more of that raw punk feel, this is definitely very... clean. But man it's got good dynamics, good stage, punchy and it's dead quiet. Optimal pressed. And the jacket and inner are actually decent quality. Really nice for only about $30 CAD. Very impressed
I agree, bought it when it came out and it hulted my search for an OG. great value!

I'm 100% unsurprised, the vinyl guide podcast had Colin Newman on and he came off as this cranky vinyl dude. I don't remember specifics but one part was "we only do business with companies that are serious about vinyl, that don't do a bunch of bullshit color pressings etc"

Excellent podcast for anyone into the bands they cover (the mr bungle interviews were great)

I'm 100% unsurprised, the vinyl guide podcast had Colin Newman on and he came off as this cranky vinyl dude. I don't remember specifics but one part was "we only do business with companies that are serious about vinyl, that don't do a bunch of bullshit color pressings etc"

Excellent podcast for anyone into the bands they cover (the mr bungle interviews were great)

Yeah makes sense because, I'm not being hyperbolic here, that might be the best pressing I've had for under $50 CAD in... ages. It's dead quiet, good dynamics, decent jacket and inner, flat pressing. They clearly care.

On a separate note, you want a stunner of a pressing? The Pure Pleasure Boogie With Canned Heat is amazing. On The Road Again is an absolute system showpiece. It's like a gigantic warm blanket, holy hell does it sound incredible. Pallas pressed and Alan Wilson's voice just sounds unreal.

all three of the Wire reissues from their 77-79 era sound pretty darn good all things considered. They were a very well recorded band and their albums intentionally sound the way they do. I have a black label reissue with “Blair” in the deadwax. I think it uses the same stampers as the OG UK pressing. It beats the reissue being more dynamic but the difference isn’t huge plus that one is only VG whereas the reissues are pretty darn quiet.

I also have an OG Chairs Missing that was the clear winner compared to the reissue to me. It’s my favorite album by them. Never got around to buying an OG 154but the reissue is solid. Don’t neglect 80’s era Wire either! A Bell Is a Cup… is a fantastic album! Same with solo Colin Newman stuff. A-Z is nearly as good as Wire in their prime.

On a separate note, you want a stunner of a pressing? The Pure Pleasure Boogie With Canned Heat is amazing. On The Road Again is an absolute system showpiece. It's like a gigantic warm blanket, holy hell does it sound incredible. Pallas pressed and Alan Wilson's voice just sounds unreal.
I have an OG pressing of this and while it isn't perfectly quiet, it sounds great, with On the Road Again a highlight. So I can believe Pure Pleasure had a lot to work with!

all three of the Wire reissues from their 77-79 era sound pretty darn good all things considered. They were a very well recorded band and their albums intentionally sound the way they do. I have a black label reissue with “Blair” in the deadwax. I think it uses the same stampers as the OG UK pressing. It beats the reissue being more dynamic but the difference isn’t huge plus that one is only VG whereas the reissues are pretty darn quiet.

I also have an OG Chairs Missing that was the clear winner compared to the reissue to me. It’s my favorite album by them. Never got around to buying an OG 154but the reissue is solid. Don’t neglect 80’s era Wire either! A Bell Is a Cup… is a fantastic album! Same with solo Colin Newman stuff. A-Z is nearly as good as Wire in their prime.
I love all the first and second run of wire, up to and including Wir. Even the reformation stuff is great (although I hesitate to say it's as good)

Why do we have a One Step of "Rhymin' Simon" but we don't have a One Step of "Graceland"?
I demand answers, and before you come at me with all this "it was digital to begin with so a One Step would be pointless" noise I just have one word for you....

GET F*-

Crap that's two words...

OKAY I HAVE TWO WORDS FOR YOU
THE FIRST ONE IS "GET" THE SECOND ONE IS "FUC-"

-Management would like to formally apologize for the prior forum post, the persons responsible have been locked in a room and told that they can't come out until they have a cold shower and stop buying things with my credit card.-

Last edited:
Back