Definitive Audiophile pressings

Hey do any of y'all have that Roland S Howard VMP release? If so how's it sound? It's Fat Possum so I'm guessing not great but okay...
isn't it the same as the non-VMP release?

Is that basically the return roulette one where it was cut by two different people but you don't know who ya got until you check the deadwax?
yea. i prefer to not buy sealed these days anyway, so can always look for an unsealed copy on cogs. i randomly found mine in an antiques mall near me and it was opened so i grabbed it. it does sound great.

The ORG has always tempted me the past few years but don't know that the price is worth it at all. And pretty sure ORG doesn't have the licenses anymore...

The ORG has always tempted me the past few years but don't know that the price is worth it at all. And pretty sure ORG doesn't have the licenses anymore...

Unfortunately, it is worth it. That thing is demo quality and on my list of couple dozen records to have me, my wife and kids grab if the house ever catches fire…

Can’t find the reggae thread, but the recent Essential Artists series Trojan Records launched is off to a fantastic start. Both albums by the Skatalites and the Maytals are absolutely fantastic. Skatalites collection covers mainly the Treasure Isle stuff they did for Duke Reid as well as some other collabs and producers and the Maytals collection is from their period recording for Leslie Kong on Beverly’s. Perfect pressings and the mastering is great. Possibly the best collections of this material for each artist. Highly recommended if you’re into that!

Are these the colored pressings? I can’t tell if there’s a standard black pressing for them.

Is that basically the return roulette one where it was cut by two different people but you don't know who ya got until you check the deadwax?
RTI hype differentiates the pressings, or so I thought? I purchased a sealed copy not too long ago from eBay, I asked the seller to confirm and sure enough it was kpg. SOUNDS GREAT.

RTI hype differentiates the pressings, or so I thought? I purchased a sealed copy not too long ago from eBay, I asked the seller to confirm and sure enough it was kpg. SOUNDS GREAT.
It was pressed at record industry, not RTI. It’s a Sony legacy pressing and a few different cuts share the same UPC

Not one to own multiple copies but making an exception for this one. Right side is the Sundazed kpg. I hear there's a QRP Sundazed but received the United pressing which is quiet, but dish warped. Record Pi flattner arrived today as well, kpg is first up. As much I despise 45s, the Mofi is truly great, regret trading that in. Picked up a new amp a couple of days ago, got a great deal on it and for the price, very happy with what I'm hearing.
IMG_3147 by c c, on Flickr
IMG_3129 by c c, on Flickr

Hmm strange! Mine was from RI I think and was the only one credited on discogs as cut by KG. But now I see the RTI one has the KG runouts in discogs but just doesn’t come up if you search his name.

I still wouldn’t trust buying on discogs that this is the version I’d get. Same UPC as others. Suppose you could ask the sealed ones if they have the RTI hype but looks like $75 ish is cheapest at the moment

Back