Definitive Audiophile pressings

I meant to share this but forgot. Someone on Ebay sold a record that was titled 'Wayne Shorter - Speak No Evil. MMBST-84194. Music Matters SRX! OOP Vinyl LP' for just £15. A quick glance at the photo shows it was a DeAgostini pressing. No idea why anyone would try to trick someone but also list it for a fraction of its cost. I imagine they could have gotten £15 for the DeAgostini record anyway.

Screenshot 2021-10-18 at 16.50.12.png
Screenshot 2021-10-18 at 16.50.25.png

Oh lord, I have started a new "life project": Purchase of one MoFi or other analogue pressing each month, to coincide with payday...

In Norwegian we have the term "lønningspils" (payday beer), my equivalent will be "lønnings-MoFi".

For full disclosure, first month is now and I bought two, because one was actually discounted:

Marshall Crenshaw - S/T
Elvis Costello - Imperial Bedroom

Will check this thread and from now on follow it a bit closer :cool:

I have both and they’re excellent. You should be happy with your choices.

I meant to share this but forgot. Someone on Ebay sold a record that was titled 'Wayne Shorter - Speak No Evil. MMBST-84194. Music Matters SRX! OOP Vinyl LP' for just £15. A quick glance at the photo shows it was a DeAgostini pressing. No idea why anyone would try to trick someone but also list it for a fraction of its cost. I imagine they could have gotten £15 for the DeAgostini record anyway.

View attachment 115168
View attachment 115169
because ebay often suggests autofill listings when you list something to try to make it easier to sell something. i've seen incorrect listings a lot lately. lots of people who don't sell records are suddenly trying to sell records. i keep seeing stuff that's marked as "analogue productions" and it's often just beat up early copies of albums.

since it's that time of the year...any recs for a decently priced Charlie Brown Christmas reissue? I have a 1988 pressing and the pressing sounds awful...i have store credit but also don't wanna pay the VMP pricing for their QRP reissue. It's an album that I spin a lot every single christmas so prefer one that's pressed at a decent plant or that I know sounds good from others on here...

there are also too many color variants to sort through to see where everything was pressed in the past few years. the other one that was linked in the store thread that was also QRP can't be found anywhere (at least by me).

since it's that time of the year...any recs for a decently priced Charlie Brown Christmas reissue? I have a 1988 pressing and the pressing sounds awful...i have store credit but also don't wanna pay the VMP pricing for their QRP reissue. It's an album that I spin a lot every single christmas so prefer one that's pressed at a decent plant or that I know sounds good from others on here...

there are also too many color variants to sort through to see where everything was pressed in the past few years. the other one that was linked in the store thread that was also QRP can't be found anywhere (at least by me).
The Analogue Productions version of it (Kevin Gray mastering) is one of the best sounding records in my collection. Way OOP though and I’m sure goes for too much money. I really wish they would repress it but Concord has rights and their own mastering on Craft Records. I’d just close your eyes and pick up one of the most recent Craft versions and call it a day. I guess they sound pretty good.

The Analogue Productions version of it (Kevin Gray mastering) is one of the best sounding records in my collection. Way OOP though and I’m sure goes for too much money. I really wish they would repress it but Concord has rights and their own mastering on Craft Records. I’d just close your eyes and pick up one of the most recent Craft versions and call it a day. I guess they sound pretty good.
Yea I'm familiar with the AP but should have excluded that. I'm not dropping $500+ on this album haha. I do have a rip of the AP but not the same as listening to the record while decorating for christmas...

Both VMPs (the older one and this new release) and one black Craft pressing from 2017 I think were all done at QRP. Was hoping to avoid spinning a wheel for which recent reissue to get.

I have the black reissue, purchased direct from Craft this year, and it’s QRP. I haven’t played it yet. Here’s the hype sticker. I think it’s sold out on Craft, but the barcode may help to find a copy. I don’t see an entry for it on Discogs yet:

EDIT: i can throw it on later tonight and get back to you on sound.
1634605079308.png

Last edited:
I have the black reissue, purchased direct from Craft this year, and it’s QRP. I haven’t played it yet. Here’s the hype sticker. I think it’s sold out on Craft, but the barcode may help to find a copy. I don’t see an entry for it on Discogs yet:

View attachment 115210
Thanks! Seems to be out of stock. It’s frustrating but with every new “variant” the older copies go out of print so I haven’t been able to find a QRP one…

I actually have a few copies of this and the only one that isn't garbage is the AP pressing. I agree with mitchwags, it's one of the best soundings records that I have as well. I guess at the end of the day, the VMP version is Craft pressed at QRP. Expensive, but it seems like the best solution, unfortunately. And, hey, its got some cool colors!

View attachment 115210
This is the version I have and it sounds fine as Does A Boy Named Charlie Brown. Plaid Room has the silver wrapped Craft version in stock. (2 versions not sure the difference other than price ?).

Last edited:
Thanks! Seems to be out of stock. It’s frustrating but with every new “variant” the older copies go out of print so I haven’t been able to find a QRP one…
I can confirm that the QRP vinyl on my 2021 Craft Charlie Brown Xmas is dead silent and flat. I‘m 99% certain it’s from the same 1988 digital source as all the other reissues. I would not say it sounds like “crap” as mentioned above. It sounds fine and absolutely playable, especially for my family (who wouldn’t notice the difference between audiophile AAA and an AM transistor radio), and they’re the ones who celebrate xmas in my house (not so much me, an a-religious degenerate heathen).

But the QRP Christmas doesn’t hold a candle in terms of dynamic range and presence as my 2021 Craft KG/RTI AAA “A Boy Named Charlie Brown.”

I did an A/B of “Linus & Lucy” on these two records. The shakers (I think they’re shakers) and cymbals on the KG/RTI vinyl are alive and kicking (arguably too much for some people) and, by comparison, muted on the QRP/Christmas. The mids/lows are louder on the Christmas version, but that’s not surprising given what the high end sounds like and, I assume, compression.

I can confirm that the QRP vinyl on my 2021 Craft Charlie Brown Xmas is dead silent and flat. I‘m 99% certain it’s from the same 1988 digital source as all the other reissues. I would not say it sounds like “crap” as mentioned above. It sounds fine and absolutely playable, especially for my family (who wouldn’t notice the difference between audiophile AAA and an AM transistor radio), and they’re the ones who celebrate xmas in my house (not so much me, an a-religious degenerate heathen).

But the QRP Christmas doesn’t hold a candle in terms of dynamic range and presence as my 2021 Craft KG/RTI AAA “A Boy Named Charlie Brown.”

I did an A/B of “Linus & Lucy” on these two records. The shakers (I think they’re shakers) and cymbals on the KG/RTI vinyl are alive and kicking (arguably too much for some people) and, by comparison, muted on the QRP/Christmas. The mids/lows are louder on the Christmas version, but that’s not surprising given what the high end sounds like and, I assume, compression.
I say this with nothing but love.

Only you fellow psychopaths would be intently discussing the merits of an "audiophile" pressing of various fucking Charlie Brown Christmas Albums.

Last edited:
I say this with nothing but love.

Only you fellow psychopaths would be intently discussing the merit of an "audiophile" pressing of various fucking Charlie Brown Christmas Albums.
No argument from me!! But, perhaps it’s my old age or bad taste, but I was psyched to get anKG/RTI/AAA “Boy Named Charlie Brown.” I love the Guaraldi music, and it’s a cherished sound of my childhood.

Back