Definitive Audiophile pressings

NIGHTMATHER :devilish:
20211018_225330.jpg
Effing A.
Also I require further sustenance in the form of tasty IPAs.
Also I taped the game because dayMather had to do a bunch of shit to do that I didn't want to deal with so don't tell me what happened.
Also when I say I taped the "game" I mean the Leafs game the Monday night NFL game and the ALCS Baseball game and I plan on watching all of them so SHUSH ALL OF YOUUUUU HAVE BEEN WARNED

No argument from me!! But, perhaps it’s my old age or bad taste, but I was psyched to get anKG/RTI/AAA “Boy Named Charlie Brown.” I love the Guaraldi music, and it’s a cherished sound of my childhood.
I totally feel this. And once again, nothing but love.... but... prolonged debates over AAA Charlie Brown Christmas Albums =
fellow psychopaths...

Last edited:
I have the black reissue, purchased direct from Craft this year, and it’s QRP. I haven’t played it yet. Here’s the hype sticker. I think it’s sold out on Craft, but the barcode may help to find a copy. I don’t see an entry for it on Discogs yet:

EDIT: i can throw it on later tonight and get back to you on sound.
View attachment 115210
Oh man just saw that George Horn died in late August this year (87 years old). I honestly thought he had passed a while ago.

I have the black reissue, purchased direct from Craft this year, and it’s QRP. I haven’t played it yet. Here’s the hype sticker. I think it’s sold out on Craft, but the barcode may help to find a copy. I don’t see an entry for it on Discogs yet:

EDIT: i can throw it on later tonight and get back to you on sound.
View attachment 115210
I believe you have the 2017 by the way:

Based on barcode and hype sticker. It was also on the Craft site but OOS now after the others got announced

I can confirm that the QRP vinyl on my 2021 Craft Charlie Brown Xmas is dead silent and flat. I‘m 99% certain it’s from the same 1988 digital source as all the other reissues. I would not say it sounds like “crap” as mentioned above. It sounds fine and absolutely playable, especially for my family (who wouldn’t notice the difference between audiophile AAA and an AM transistor radio), and they’re the ones who celebrate xmas in my house (not so much me, an a-religious degenerate heathen).

But the QRP Christmas doesn’t hold a candle in terms of dynamic range and presence as my 2021 Craft KG/RTI AAA “A Boy Named Charlie Brown.”

I did an A/B of “Linus & Lucy” on these two records. The shakers (I think they’re shakers) and cymbals on the KG/RTI vinyl are alive and kicking (arguably too much for some people) and, by comparison, muted on the QRP/Christmas. The mids/lows are louder on the Christmas version, but that’s not surprising given what the high end sounds like and, I assume, compression.
I could be wrong but I don’t think the recent release of A Boy Named Charlie Brown was pressed at RTI. I know the Discogs listing says it is but I went through three copies and while it sounds great, the pressing isn’t, or at least in my experience. RTI is far from perfect, especially their regular, non-mofi pressings but VMP did a colour variant of it and it was pressed at MRP. Usually all variants are produced at the same plant, and the quality and feel of the copies that I received felt like an MRP pressing or some other shitty plant. Great mastering though! I’m no deadwax sleuth though, so as I said I could be wrong.

I could be wrong but I don’t think the recent release of A Boy Named Charlie Brown was pressed at RTI. I know the Discogs listing says it is but I went through three copies and while it sounds great, the pressing isn’t, or at least in my experience. RTI is far from perfect, especially their regular, non-mofi pressings but VMP did a colour variant of it and it was pressed at MRP. Usually all variants are produced at the same plant, and the quality and feel of the copies that I received felt like an MRP pressing or some other shitty plant. Great mastering though! I’m no deadwax sleuth though, so as I said I could be wrong.
No, you’re not wrong. Good sleuthing. I relied on Discogs when I said RTI, but Craft’s site for my version says MRP. My pressing is excellent, thankfully.

No, you’re not wrong. Good sleuthing. I relied on Discogs when I said RTI, but Craft’s site for my version says MRP. My pressing is excellent, thankfully.
Glad to hear you were luckier than I! Recently it seems like craft gets the mastering right and occasionally picks a good plant. I’d prefer if they were more consistent with using a quality plant.

Since this is the default thread for discussing Record City stuff, I would like to share that their shipping via FedEx is amazing. My most recent order was picked up in Tokyo at 10:12 PM CST on Monday, and it's on a vehicle for delivery in Missouri as of 7:33 AM CST today, Wednesday. That's 6400 miles in 33 hours, all for an $18 shipping fee.

EDIT: Delivered at 9:05 AM, just under 35 hours to my doorstep.

Last edited:
Since this is the default thread for discussing Record City stuff, I would like to share that their shipping via FedEx is amazing. My most recent order was picked up in Tokyo at 10:12 PM CST on Monday, and it's on a vehicle for delivery in Missouri as of 7:33 AM CST today, Wednesday. That's 6400 miles in 33 hours, all for an $18 shipping fee.

EDIT: Delivered at 9:05 AM, just under 35 hours to my doorstep.
Yeah it’s crazy! I placed a 9-LP order last Thursday evening and the package was delivered yesterday (Tuesday) a.m. Just one of many positive head scratchers associated with this place. 😃

To counter the Record City love (and to finish my tale from a few weeks ago) - I received a pretty badly misgraded Led Zeppelin I, was meant to be EX but was VG at best (and really so bad that I'm selling it as it has constant crackle). 1st customer service person promised me a new copy but second one said they'd just give a refund of half of the record price. They issued it in the oddest way though - charging me for the entire shipment minus the refund and then crediting me back for everything. Net result due to the cuts credit card companies take/FX rates they use for purchases/credits - I only got 25% of the refund myself (so 12.5% of original price). I complained but they didn't engage with me. It's enough for me to stick with all the great Japanese Discogs sellers I've since found rather than them. But glad everybody else has had good experiences with them.

To counter the Record City love (and to finish my tale from a few weeks ago) - I received a pretty badly misgraded Led Zeppelin I, was meant to be EX but was VG at best (and really so bad that I'm selling it as it has constant crackle). 1st customer service person promised me a new copy but second one said they'd just give a refund of half of the record price. They issued it in the oddest way though - charging me for the entire shipment minus the refund and then crediting me back for everything. Net result due to the cuts credit card companies take/FX rates they use for purchases/credits - I only got 25% of the refund myself (so 12.5% of original price). I complained but they didn't engage with me. It's enough for me to stick with all the great Japanese Discogs sellers I've since found rather than them. But glad everybody else has had good experiences with them.
I'm sorry to hear about this.

That is frustrating, and odd. I received a similarly misgraded Big Science by Laurie Anderson from them. They visually grade, and the flaws were only apparent upon listening. I contacted them, and they responded quickly with an apology and a simple refund for the full price of the LP.

Anyone have the recent KG mono cut ? Happy with the pressing ?

AATL_1279__163650__06212021124128-7909.jpg

Back