Definitive Audiophile pressings

Anybody pick up those recent velvet underground half-speed masters? Wondering how they sound…

I haven't heard it, but I was watching a You Tube video (that 45Rpm guy), he was visibly angry about how bad it sounds. Basically saying it's criminal that they keep letting Miles Showell do the half speed mastering for important bands like the Velvet Underground & the Stones.

A friend of mine owns a gas station and one day we were talking about gas prices. He actually made an interesting comment when it came to price hikes. "The reality is, when prices go up at the supplier end, the gas that's sitting in my tanks at the moment didn't cost me that "new" price, my current supply didn't cost me that. But, since the rest of the stations raise there prices I can raise mine and make a bigger profit on my existing supply"

...............that's what's going on here and anywhere else that's jacking up their prices. You want to raise the price on stuff when it's pressed again, fine, I guess, but raising the price on existing stock, your taking advantage, even if it's ONLY $5.

Don’t buy the shit, problem solved.
Agreed, but you know those willing to "not buy" is a small % in the grand scheme of things. In my opinion the "audiophile" surge lately is to blame and why you see these labels going with limited runs. They need to insure a sell out and not get stuck with inventory, they don't really care if the sales are to fans or flippers, as long as they sell.

Too many of the people in this hobby now a days are driven by what something "might" end up being worth/cost. So you have those who are afraid of being stuck paying more than they feel they should and those who need to strike while the FOMO is hot to keep moving the cost up the ladder. I hate implied scarcity, but too many get caught up in it at the moment for it to cause any shift in the industry.

I find it funny how some You Tubers will put out a "What's wrong with the hobby" video lamenting about these things and how expensive the hobby has become, just to follow up that video with a showcase of their 10 variants of XYZ, lol.

Agreed, but you know those willing to "not buy" is a small % in the grand scheme of things. In my opinion the "audiophile" surge lately is to blame and why you see these labels going with limited runs. They need to insure a sell out and not get stuck with inventory, they don't really care if the sales are to fans or flippers, as long as they sell.

Too many of the people in this hobby now a days are driven by what something "might" end up being worth/cost. So you have those who are afraid of being stuck paying more than they feel they should and those who need to strike while the FOMO is hot to keep moving the cost up the ladder. I hate implied scarcity, but too many get caught up in it at the moment for it to cause any shift in the industry.

I find it funny how some You Tubers will put out a "What's wrong with the hobby" video lamenting about these things and how expensive the hobby has become, just to follow up that video with a showcase of their 10 variants of XYZ, lol.
the industry as a whole is going the direction of what happened to me with VMP. I used to take chances on more records because the swaps were $23 or so and I figured if I ended up not spinning it enough, I could usually sell it for what I paid for it (or PIF it). Now with lots of record prices being jacked up, I will stream the records I’m unsure of instead of buying the vinyl.

I still fall prey to FOMO sometimes and do what you’re talking about. Occasionally I still buy something I sort of like but know will sell out. And I definitely will buy “deals” that might not be something I would have paid full price for. I really did want that Bill Evans set and probably would have purchased it if it came back into stock today at $600. But at $900 I’m definitely out. That’s an insane price hike. I really hate the idea of manufacturers jacking up prices on items that sell well on the secondhand market.

As much as I am a compulsive buyer of vinyl, I think that the challenge for AS is that there so much high quality vinyl being produced now. I love my AP vinyl -- but I can tuck right into Speaker's Corner, or Sam records, or Tone Poet. I'm admittedly a bit bummed I didn't place a few more last orders, but I've also got stacks of records to listen to that give me a ton of joy. I'm sure he ran the number and feels that whatever it looks like margin (especially on existing stock) is worth moving less quantity.

I don't really begrudge Chad trying to make a buck -- whatever, it is his business. but I think will result in my buying a few less AP each year and maybe quite a few.

and 100% on it pushing the 45rpm into a rare rare rare space

As much as I am a compulsive buyer of vinyl, I think that the challenge for AS is that there so much high quality vinyl being produced now. I love my AP vinyl -- but I can tuck right into Speaker's Corner, or Sam records, or Tone Poet. I'm admittedly a bit bummed I didn't place a few more last orders, but I've also got stacks of records to listen to that give me a ton of joy. I'm sure he ran the number and feels that whatever it looks like margin (especially on existing stock) is worth moving less quantity.

I don't really begrudge Chad trying to make a buck -- whatever, it is his business. but I think will result in my buying a few less AP each year and maybe quite a few.

I’m all for banishing 45RPM releases 😂😂. I’m lazy.

the industry as a whole is going the direction of what happened to me with VMP. I used to take chances on more records because the swaps were $23 or so and I figured if I ended up not spinning it enough, I could usually sell it for what I paid for it (or PIF it). Now with lots of record prices being jacked up, I will stream the records I’m unsure of instead of buying the vinyl.

I still fall prey to FOMO sometimes and do what you’re talking about. Occasionally I still buy something I sort of like but know will sell out. And I definitely will buy “deals” that might not be something I would have paid full price for. I really did want that Bill Evans set and probably would have purchased it if it came back into stock today at $600. But at $900 I’m definitely out. That’s an insane price hike. I really hate the idea of manufacturers jacking up prices on items that sell well on the secondhand market.
If you're human and in this hobby you will always have a bit of FOMO, it's unavoidable. I fight it, and win most times, but it happens on occasion. The market is, what the market is and we can individually decide to take action, but I don't think there are enough people in the hobby who do to make a difference, that's all my comment was geared towards.

I really hate the idea of manufacturers jacking up prices on items that sell well on the secondhand market.
This, this is one of the reasons I pay little attention to AS Cogs page anymore. I like the company, but things like this have also contributed to my way of thinking when making a purchase.............but again, I'm just one person ;)

I don't really begrudge Chad trying to make a buck
I don't either, but they're kind of setting a precedent for the future, no? I mean, what is AS going to charge for Chet Baker Sings Tone Poet pressing when/if it gets repressed? What's Blue Note going to charge?

I can't get mad at a seller on Cogs for "asking" a certain price for something, have at it, it's the aftermarket. But when it's the manufacturer of the product, that's a harder pill to swallow. Again, just my 2 cents ;)

Don't worry, it will never show up. They don't do 200g anymore.
They kept the same the product numbers/UPCs for the 180g versions they produce now. 200g preorders will likely be filled with a 180g version. That happened for me with LA Woman.
The AP price hikes will be the end of 45 as a viable audiophile format. Except for a very few, the price difference from 33 is no longer remotely justified. It seems to me that AP is putting emphasis on 33 now anyways.
I'd be fine with no more 45s, but I disagree with this conclusion. Most buyers who are already willing to pay $55 will pay $60. And the price difference between 33 and 45 is still the same, $20. MoFi did the same thing and raised the prices of their $35 offerings to $40 and their $55 offerings to $60. As for emphasis, their daily emails show AP 45s "back in print" regularly.

Last edited:
I don't either, but they're kind of setting a precedent for the future, no? I mean, what is AS going to charge for Chet Baker Sings Tone Poet pressing when/if it gets repressed? What's Blue Note going to charge?

I can't get mad at a seller on Cogs for "asking" a certain price for something, have at it, it's the aftermarket. But when it's the manufacturer of the product, that's a harder pill to swallow. Again, just my 2 cents ;)
MMJ kind of started the whole “let’s charge flipper prices on our own products” unless MD or AP has been doing it longer.

They only seem to be doing it on their own pressings (AS’ discogs aside) so at least there’s that. But still frustrating as a consumer. Puts a bad taste in my mouth. It made me stop buying from MMJ directly.

It's beyond me how companies don't understand higher prices = less sales. You see it at the supermarket right now for ie. Dont see many people pushing carts full of food out.

Perhaps VMP, Chad's data shows they can get away with these price increases?

Last edited:
It's beyond me how companies don't understand higher prices = less sales. You see it at the supermarket right now for ie. Dont see many people pushing carts full of food out.

Perhaps VMP, Chad's data shows they can get away with these price increases.
I don't know that VMP's data would show that the higher price is working. I think people have still remained subscribed, but their store exclusives hardly ever seem to sell out lately. Purely based on anecdotal evidence though...

A friend of mine owns a gas station and one day we were talking about gas prices. He actually made an interesting comment when it came to price hikes. "The reality is, when prices go up at the supplier end, the gas that's sitting in my tanks at the moment didn't cost me that "new" price, my current supply didn't cost me that. But, since the rest of the stations raise there prices I can raise mine and make a bigger profit on my existing supply"

...............that's what's going on here and anywhere else that's jacking up their prices. You want to raise the price on stuff when it's pressed again, fine, I guess, but raising the price on existing stock, your taking advantage, even if it's ONLY $5.
This is true for stereo equipment as well, right? Prices are going up, but technically, that shouldn't affect the prices of the product already on the floor/in the storeroom. And if you find an honest dealer willing to work with you, there should be a range of price options for any item, from demo (discounted), to current stock ('old' price), to pre-order (higher price). A quick online search for something like the Wharfedale Lintons shows primarily new/higher prices, but you never know what a phone call might yield.

This is true for stereo equipment as well, right? Prices are going up, but technically, that shouldn't affect the prices of the product already on the floor/in the storeroom. And if you find an honest dealer willing to work with you, there should be a range of price options for any item, from demo (discounted), to current stock ('old' price), to pre-order (higher price). A quick online search for something like the Wharfedale Lintons shows primarily new/higher prices, but you never know what a phone call might yield.

Most of the gear stores I shop are pretty good at not doing this thankfully. Seeing more that they use the price rise as a sort of FOMO tool to shift existing stock lol.

I’m not defending or justifying specific price increases, but there’s a big difference between the raw cost of a widget and the actual cost of selling a widget. Likewise, costs of selling inventory at a gas station (turns over relatively quickly) and inventory of stereo equipment or records that often sit around for a long time, are not the same. If other operating costs increase while a widget is in inventory, the costs of selling it increase regardless of the cost actually paid when inventory was acquired.

The questions to ask when evaluating price increases compared to profits are whether costs of labor, utilities, financing inventory, outbound shipping, benefits plans, leases, etc. go up after inventory was acquired but before it was sold.

So, again, I’m not defending AS’s $5/record increase. Regardless of the answers to those questions, I highly doubt the costs of selling inventory went up by that much for AS, and they’re definitely taking higher margins w/ these increases. But I do think many of these operating costs have increased rapidly in the recent short term (labor the most obvious, in the US at least), so the costs of selling all inventory have gone up for most businesses.

Most of the gear stores I shop are pretty good at not doing this thankfully. Seeing more that they use the price rise as a sort of FOMO tool to shift existing stock lol.
Fair enough. I'm sure many can appreciate the "if you're thinking about it, now's the time" nudge. :D And fortunately, the local dealer I buy from is completely transparent about these kinds of things.

Fair enough. I'm sure many can appreciate the "if you're thinking about it, now's the time" nudge. :D And fortunately, the local dealer I buy from is completely transparent about these kinds of things.

It certainly nudged me to buying the PrimaLuna earlier in the year!

Back