Definitive Audiophile pressings

I wanted the LVB but the stylus alone isn't available up here yet and it's much much more expensive than the standard black. Like almost double. Seems a bit excessive. Just went standard. I love the sound, just not the amplification of bad pressings. But it's the difference between spending $500 on the replacement and knowing how great the sound is gunna be, or dropping like 3.5 times that on a Art9. Gunna have to wait for that. The speakers and BlueSound took that money and devoured it real quick.

Can you MC? I’m really looking forward to when I get to mount the Hana SL. It’s a shiabatta but is supposedly a bit more musical and less picky than some other carts using that profile. I just want to get everything the Opus 3 has out of it before I do the swap!

I mean I get that people around here all seem to dislike it, but it's regularly reviewed as one of the top MM carts out there. It's overpriced perhaps, but I don't pay full price so.....
i'm just teasing ya. i know it's a very quality cart. i think it would personally drive me crazy given the state of pressings lately, but also maybe it would help me pare down my purchases to only buy stuff that is a solid pressing.

Can you MC? I’m really looking forward to when I get to mount the Hana SL. It’s a shiabatta but is supposedly a bit more musical and less picky than some other carts using that profile. I just want to get everything the Opus 3 has out of it before I do the swap!
I can yep, I think the Rega Aria is a little bit limited in what types of MC it can run in terms of output. But I can run a good swath of them yep.

i'm just teasing ya. i know it's a very quality cart. i think it would personally drive me crazy given the state of pressings lately, but also maybe it would help me pare down my purchases to only buy stuff that is a solid pressing.
I know, I just feel the need to OCCASIONALLY step away from my near constant self deprication to point out that my system actually does sound good, despite me taking the piss out of myself for nearly all of my purchases.

Hana is on my shortlist for my next cart too. I really wish there was a place near me where I could hear it first though.

To add to the recent Japan pressing craze I just ordered a bunch of albums off a seller on Ebay. Again somehow most of the records look cleaner than an album pressed yesterday. Haven't listened to them all yet but the standouts so far are:

Stevie Wonder – Talking Book (1977, Quiex II Pressing, Vinyl) : Have had a lot of trouble finding a clean copy in the US. Also have always found the mastering on early Tamla copies to sound muddy, although I know some people swear by that mastering. This is a really interesting listen for anyone interested. Mastering is significantly different. On dead quiet, partially see through Quiex vinyl. Some might find the sound too clean but I'm really enjoying it

and

Joni Mitchell – Hejira (1976, Gatefold, Vinyl) : Just sounds stunning, even better than the recent Chris Bellman cut, which still sounds great in it's own right

Last edited:
Hana is on my shortlist for my next cart too. I really wish there was a place near me where I could hear it first though.

Yeah I bought it probably a year before I needed it because it was making the trade in deal for my amp a bit more palatable for the dealer. Based upon the initial impressions of other forumers using it I’m in for a treat. I just gotta make these expensive consumables last their full life before I swap them. You do not want to know what I’ve just spent on tubes, hopefully there’s a few years worth on their way to me though…

To add to the recent Japan pressing craze I just ordered a bunch of albums off a seller on Ebay. Again somehow most of the records look cleaner than an album pressed yesterday. Haven't listened to them all yet but the standouts so far are:

Stevie Wonder – Talking Book (1977, Quiex II Pressing, Vinyl) : Have had a lot of trouble finding a clean copy in the US. Also have always found the mastering on early Tamla copies to sound muddy, although I know some people swear by that mastering. This is a really interesting listen for anyone interested. Mastering is significantly different. On dead quiet, partially see through Quiex vinyl. Some might find the sound too clean but I'm really enjoying it

and

Joni Mitchell – Hejira (1976, Gatefold, Vinyl) : Just sounds stunning, even better than the recent Chris Bellman cut, which still sounds great in it's own right
Chances are they are cleaned on a Ultrasonic or top end VPI. Japanese are incredibly proud of clean records.

and

I think Stevies are next on my list to order from japan...I was supposed to go to Japan for my honeymoon last month if there hadn't been a pandemic going on. when we do end up going, i'll have to bring an entire suitcase just to bring records back in.

I think Stevies are next on my list to order from japan...I was supposed to go to Japan for my honeymoon last month if there hadn't been a pandemic going on. when we do end up going, i'll have to bring an entire suitcase just to bring records back in.
That's how I did it Mike. Strange looks through customs and MP inspections. 😋 DJ carriers work well for this also.

Once had a customs guy in SF look through every record in my carrier. Only thing I could think of his detectors picked up some residue in there from previous owner and the movie Midnight Express! :ROFLMAO:

and

to add another few data points the V-Series catalog numbers from Japan for Stevies work are much less desirable and can be found rather cheaply - the other side of this coin being that they sound significantly worse than earlier Japanese pressings - while many of the motown/tamla records were never amazing, these versions almost never get played for me - you're better off with US originals or German pressings from the period. They have greenish blue 'metallic' effect labels - I learned this the hard way although at the time they were all very reasonable priced. given an easy sale I'd part with mine immediately.

I mean I get that people around here all seem to dislike it, but it's regularly reviewed as one of the top MM carts out there. It's overpriced perhaps, but I don't pay full price so.....
As long as you like it nobody else's opinion really matters, end of story.

You'll enjoy the Hana, and circling back to @Mather's comment about replacement cost, I have to admit that so far I'm really liking this Quintet Bronze, and this goes back to my comment about having the opportunity to sample these is a double edged sword. Because while the Q-Bronze is stunning, the replacement cost is up there and then you get to the bang for your buck when comparing the Hana to the Quintet........is the additional scratch worth it.

I'm trying to narrow down my long term cartridge as best possible and I can tell you it's ultimately going to boil down to cost because at a certain point, they all sound great, each with it's own individual "wrinkle".

As long as you like it nobody else's opinion really matters, end of story.

You'll enjoy the Hana, and circling back to @Mather's comment about replacement cost, I have to admit that so far I'm really liking this Quintet Bronze, and this goes back to my comment about having the opportunity to sample these is a double edged sword. Because while the Q-Bronze is stunning, the replacement cost is up there and then you get to the bang for your buck when comparing the Hana to the Quintet........is the additional scratch worth it.

I'm trying to narrow down my long term cartridge as best possible and I can tell you it's ultimately going to boil down to cost because at a certain point, they all sound great, each with it's own individual "wrinkle".

Do you prefer the quintet bronze to the Hana? Because if so you’ve put more ideas in my head for the future because I can get it cheaper than the Hana SL 😂

Do you prefer the quintet bronze to the Hana? Because if so you’ve put more ideas in my head for the future because I can get it cheaper than the Hana SL 😂
Ouch, that kind of changes the thought process there doesn't it. I'll tell ya what, let me get through this Quintet because the Hana was going to go back on afterwards just for my continued comparison in hopes of making some decisions and I'll give you a shout back.

Ouch, that kind of changes the thought process there doesn't it. I'll tell ya what, let me get through this Quintet because the Hana was going to go back on afterwards just for my continued comparison in hopes of making some decisions and I'll give you a shout back.

Thanks! Much appreciated!

It isn’t a priority though because I think I’ve still a few months left on the opus and then the whole life of the Hana I’ve already bought but the list price of the SL and the Quintet Bronze are pretty much identical and with Ort being European you can often get deals with as much as €50 off the list price! When it comes to the “next cartridge” it might be worth thinking about lol.

Thanks! Much appreciated!

It isn’t a priority though because I think I’ve still a few months left on the opus and then the whole life of the Hana I’ve already bought but the list price of the SL and the Quintet Bronze are pretty much identical and with Ort being European you can often get deals with as much as €50 off the list price! When it comes to the “next cartridge” it might be worth thinking about lol.
Oh, I still have some mileage to put on the Quitet still before writing up some thoughts and opinions, so there's time, lol.

I’ll be really interested to see what you make of those Beatles albums, really really interested 😂

Spun Abbey Road and Revolver.

First off, this Abbey Road pressing is wonderful. You need to tolerate a bit of pops in the quieter parts, but it’s overall really clean. The instruments are well balanced, bass is rich and highs well defined. She’s So Heavy in particular was a revelation. This is my new definitive version.

Revolver is the ODEON stereo version. Thought I got a mono but it seems I messed that up. Sounds great though! More poppy than Abbey Road, but this is a 1966 so it’s par for the course. Again, well balanced bass, mids and highs. Great copy for now, but I’ll probably keep looking for a mono.

Spun Abbey Road and Revolver.

First off, this Abbey Road pressing is wonderful. You need to tolerate a bit of pops in the quieter parts, but it’s overall really clean. The instruments are well balanced, bass is rich and highs well defined. She’s So Heavy in particular was a revelation. This is my new definitive version.

Revolver is the ODEON stereo version. Thought I got a mono but it seems I messed that up. Sounds great though! More poppy than Abbey Road, but this is a 1966 so it’s par for the course. Again, well balanced bass, mids and highs. Great copy for now, but I’ll probably keep looking for a mono.
Sounds good! Out of curiosity, what was the grading for each of those and how did it jive with what you're hearing?

Back