Definitive Audiophile pressings

Got to listen to Son of Schmilsson and really enjoyed it. Sounded fantastic, just a tad below Nilsson Schmilsson but I think that has more to do with the quality of the NS songs and recording.

@Crabbers I also listened to Aerial Ballet and really enjoyed it. Pressing sounded great after a cleaning. I did notice some surface noise right out of the sleeve so I would recommend giving it a clean before throwing it on. After that I had no issues. I love that album. Reminds me of a full album rendition of the Benefit for Mr. Kite.

Side note on SoS: I’m still seeing these things get flipped for near $100 on eBay... Who is buying these when they’re not limited/going to go out of print anytime soon? Are people on eBay buying new MoFi releases that out of tough with the information? Makes no sense!

Well JPC refunded my Patti Smith and said to keep the LP............but now I'm not sure I want to reorder it or not since this was on backorder for repress I'm wondering how wide spread the problem might be.

Mine is perfect but I’ve had it a couple of years. So I don’t think it’s across the press or the stamper but it could be something with the batch you bought from. Things like dimples and no fill tend to be more the individual pressing itself rather than something that affects a batch in my experience (unless it’s a careless plant) but again YMMV.

Side note on SoS: I’m still seeing these things get flipped for near $100 on eBay... Who is buying these when they’re not limited/going to go out of print anytime soon? Are people on eBay buying new MoFi releases that out of tough with the information? Makes no sense!
A lot of people buying MoFis don't seem to care about money. They assume that any new MoFis are OOS and they want it now. The MoFi/audiophile buy/sell facebook group is really eye-opening. You have people paying $200 for the UHQR of Kind of Blue despite being told that it is not sold out and will be back in stock at some point. If you bring up anything about price or share a link to somewhere that has those albums in stock at MSRP, the flipper brigade comes out and accuses you of price bullying and the mods threaten to ban. It's nuts.

A lot of people buying MoFis don't seem to care about money. They assume that any new MoFis are OOS and they want it now. The MoFi/audiophile buy/sell facebook group is really eye-opening. You have people paying $200 for the UHQR of Kind of Blue despite being told that it is not sold out and will be back in stock at some point. If you bring up anything about price or share a link to somewhere that has those albums in stock at MSRP, the flipper brigade comes out and accuses you of price bullying and the mods threaten to ban. It's nuts.
"Price bullying"

GET FUUUUUUCKED

Yikes…that’s insane.

I don't know, I'm getting to the point where as much as I may want something I pass just because when it comes to "Audiophile" pressings. The ELO pre-order for instance, I was about to purchase it and then I sat there thinking to myself that I'm jumping on it to avoid an aftermarket price FIRST and because it's an album I like second..........that needs to stop. We become conditioned, even if it's being purchased at retail pricing we subconsciously are thinking of what it might be "worth" and how much it would cost later.

These types of things are what sours the hobby for me, not that it's any different than any other hobby, but it remains true across the board.

I don't know, I'm getting to the point where as much as I may want something I pass just because when it comes to "Audiophile" pressings. The ELO pre-order for instance, I was about to purchase it and then I sat there thinking to myself that I'm jumping on it to avoid an aftermarket price FIRST and because it's an album I like second..........that needs to stop. We become conditioned, even if it's being purchased at retail pricing we subconsciously are thinking of what it might be "worth" and how much it would cost later.

These types of things are what sours the hobby for me, not that it's any different than any other hobby, but it remains true across the board.
Yea--the MoFi FOMO can be real. I get that way with AP sometimes too but not as often. For awhile I bought MoFi pressings because I knew I could sell them for what I paid if not more later on. Same with when I was a VMP member.

I'm pretty glad that MoFi is supposedly no longer limiting their regular pressings to a certain number (just limiting to however long they can get a license). The ELO is not limited. Only One Steps and some SuperVinyls will be limited and those are easier for me to turn down because of the price tag. I almost bought the Pearl One Step but stepped back and once the regular MoFi restocked I grabbed that instead and it's more than good enough for me.

Holy shit, my Record City order is already on the truck for delivery today. The speed is super fast for Canada too it seems. Will post photos of the records later when I get them.
Curious if you get hit with any GST or duty. I have ordered cds from them no issue but a bit worried about FedEx being the carrier door to door.

Agree completely, and I had the same experience with the ELO pre-order. I still have the checkout screen as an open tab--been there for a few days, but I just don't see any point in pulling the trigger. (Of course, that's especially true because of a number of other triggers I already have pulled in the past few days!! o_O.) But it really does seem to have become increasingly important to try to parse the motivations behind the impulse to buy (he says as, once again, shelf space is gone and ther's a stack on the floor beside him).

Curious if you get hit with any GST or duty. I have ordered cds from them no issue but a bit worried about FedEx being the carrier door to door.

Yes, that’s my underlying worry right now. Seems like it got released for delivery though. So not one of these cases where they hold until you pay. I have been hit with a bill after the fact a few months ago though.

Back