Definitive Audiophile pressings

I opened my Moanin' and it was covered in surface scratches. Since I got from Amazon, I ordered another one, and figured I would return which ever was worse. Unfortunately the 2nd one arrived and looks basically exactly the same. I played one once through and it sounded good - I was also working, so I need to do a more active listen.

Have others had the same thing - surface scratches? At least one post on Discogs said the same thing.

I wonder if they were shipped from the pressing plant in paper sleeves and got all scratched up. And rather than replace they decided to swap to poly-lined and ship out to retailers as is. They probably didn't want to miss the release date.

A lot of conjecture there, I know 😂

I opened my Moanin' and it was covered in surface scratches. Since I got from Amazon, I ordered another one, and figured I would return which ever was worse. Unfortunately the 2nd one arrived and looks basically exactly the same. I played one once through and it sounded good - I was also working, so I need to do a more active listen.

Have others had the same thing - surface scratches? At least one post on Discogs said the same thing.

I wonder if they were shipped from the pressing plant in paper sleeves and got all scratched up. And rather than replace they decided to swap to poly-lined and ship out to retailers as is. They probably didn't want to miss the release date.

I'd be shocked if they pressed it, sealed them, then unsealed them, replaced the sleeves, re-sealed them and shipped them to stores haha. But it does seem weird that a lot seem to have surface scratches...

I saw someone post on fb mofi group that their Bob Dylan greatest hits is shipping...is anyone here waiting for that one confirm? It says awaiting repress

Fleet Foxes reposted this girl's story on IG and I hate that I felt the need to run here and post this but LOOK AT HOW SHES GRIPPING THIS BEAUTIFUL PIECE OF ART. FULL FRISBEE GRIP
View attachment 95761
To be fair (and I am just going by this image here) the etching is on the back side and the grooves are on the side with her thumb so outside of some potentially unsightly finger pints, it’s not that bad.

I posted in the blue note thread - my copy of Soul Station has tons of small abrasions and scratches but it plays through perfectly fine.

The reissue of Q-Tip’s The Renaissance sounds pretty fantastic. Not sure on the pressing details but it bumps hard with big sound and minimal surface noise.
That album is a banger. Looking on discogs it's still only showing the 2008 LP release, so I assume all pressing details remain the same? I'm going to place an order with Juno anyway and find out, it's been on my list for a while and never got round to it.

Back