Definitive Audiophile pressings

I’m sure it’s been discussed somewhere in here, but I just saw that the KG Blue is going for crazy bucks. Even from last year.
If you're talking about Joni Mitchell's Blue, it has been mentioned here before, but I suspect the price has risen since even the most recent discussion. Crazy that the powers that be have let that go out of print so fast. I can attest to it being a great pressing.

If you're talking about Joni Mitchell's Blue, it has been mentioned here before, but I suspect the price has risen since even the most recent discussion. Crazy that the powers that be have let that go out of print so fast. I can attest to it being a great pressing.

The blue one from 2019 was only ever a limited one but the standard pressing did surprise me given every local store seemed to have 10 of those before covid!

That said with the new box being released and being complimentary to the archives I’m thinking that this whole Joni reissue series has been planned out for a bit and that it makes much more sense to phase out older pressings. You don’t want an old press competing on the shelf with your shiny new one!

That be the the one. I was looking last night at both the 2007 & 2020 reissues and $100 and up seem to be the starting point.

The blue one from 2019 was only ever a limited one but the standard pressing did surprise me given every local store seemed to have 10 of those before covid!

That said with the new box being released and being complimentary to the archives I’m thinking that this whole Joni reissue series has been planned out for a bit and that it makes much more sense to phase out older pressings. You don’t want an old press competing on the shelf with your shiny new one!
Good point, but then I wonder why they even bothered with the 2020 Blue, which by all accounts is just a re-pressing of the 2007 Boom Boom remaster.

Good point, but then I wonder why they even bothered with the 2020 Blue, which by all accounts is just a re-pressing of the 2007 Boom Boom remaster.

Was that the blue one? It was part of rhinos start your ear off right capaign so was limited and just for that. I though that was 2019 though. If there was a different one then I have no idea either 😂

Was that the blue one? It was part of rhinos start your ear off right capaign so was limited and just for that. I though that was 2019 though. If there was a different one then I have no idea either 😂
The blue variant from 2019 was indeed limited. The standard was reissued last year with no mention of it being limited. Which leads me to another issue. When something isn’t announced as limited, just how many copies are being pressed?

2019 was the blue one,
Joni Mitchell – Blue (2019, Blue, Vinyl)
then, last year, what appeared to be the same as the 2007 Rhino reissue mastered by Kevin Gray and pressed at RTI began appearing, but didn't seem to be available for very long.
2007 listing: Joni Mitchell – Blue (2007, 180g, Gatefold, Vinyl)
2020 listing: Joni Mitchell – Blue (2020, 180g, Gatefold, Vinyl)

The blue variant from 2019 was indeed limited. The standard was reissued last year with no mention of it being limited. Which leads me to another issue. When something isn’t announced as limited, just how many copies are being pressed?

Often I’d imagine it’s done in batches and then just repressed dependent on demand. The initial press size I suppose depends on the size of the artist and whether it’s country specific or worldwide, I can’t imagine that it’s uniform.

2019 was the blue one,
Joni Mitchell – Blue (2019, Blue, Vinyl)
then, last year, what appeared to be the same as the 2007 Rhino reissue mastered by Kevin Gray and pressed at RTI began appearing, but didn't seem to be available for very long.
2007 listing: Joni Mitchell – Blue (2007, 180g, Gatefold, Vinyl)
2020 listing: Joni Mitchell – Blue (2020, 180g, Gatefold, Vinyl)

You've included the link to the European Blue Vinyl from 2019 (The one I bought thinking was KG at the time, but turned out not to be). The KG 2019 was this one which is even more money:

Anyone want to buy my EU Blue Vinyl to subsidise a purchase of the forthcoming BG RTI press?

You've included the link to the European Blue Vinyl from 2019 (The one I bought thinking was KG at the time, but turned out not to be). The KG 2019 was this one which is even more money:

Anyone want to buy my EU Blue Vinyl to subsidise a purchase of the forthcoming BG RTI press?

I have the EU blue blue too. It’s not a bad sounding record to be fair!

Music Direct has last year’s Blue as a back order and awaiting repress, but I wonder if that’s even going to happen with her box set coming out.

It's really good. I struggled to read the dead wax on mine, and thought it was KG for at least 6 month after buying it.

Yeah it’s done by the dude who works for Optimal in house I have a few rhinos that he’s done and they’re all pretty good if not quite up to KG or CB standard.

Music Direct has last year’s Blue as a back order and awaiting repress, but I wonder if that’s even going to happen with her box set coming out.
I’d be surprised, it’d be weird for WB to compete with themselves!

I agree with @Joe Mac , I suspect they will release the box, and then 6-12 months down the line issue them individually.

I wouldn't be surprised if the RTI BG pressings will be better than the KG. It will be an interesting shoot out if anyone on here gets both.

If anyone in the UK is thinking about buying the box, it will be cheaper getting the US box. The international shipping is less than $20. Also worth noting the US box will be pressed at RTI & the EU/UK Boxes pressed at Optimal.

@Joe Mac Might be cheaper to get the US box delivered to the EU as well, they seem to have upped the price on the EU version.

Oh, huh! I hadn't realized there were two blue-vinyl releases in the same year and, even more strange, that they had different mastering.

I agree with @Joe Mac , I suspect they will release the box, and then 6-12 months down the line issue them individually.

I wouldn't be surprised if the RTI BG pressings will be better than the KG. It will be an interesting shoot out if anyone on here gets both.

If anyone in the UK is thinking about buying the box, it will be cheaper getting the US box. The international shipping is less than $20. Also worth noting the US box will be pressed at RTI & the EU/UK Boxes pressed at Optimal.

@Joe Mac Might be cheaper to get the US box delivered to the EU as well, they seem to have upped the price on the EU version.

Yeah it’s €129 list at my local which is steep for 4LPs and those guys are fair with their pricing. To be honest I have the blue blue and the Rhino Ladies so I’m just going to wait for the first two to come out stand-alone.

Back