Definitive Audiophile pressings

Has anyone had to do any returns or exchanges with Elusive Disc? Side A on my copy of Midnight Sugar out of the Three Blind Mice boxset has a big ol scratch in it. I'm hoping I can just have them send me a replacement vinyl rather than having to return the whole thing...
I just got a badly warped 2 LP set from Elusive Disc (Nik Bartsch's Ronin, "Llyria" (ECM)). So far, they've offered to flatten it with their "professional' flattener or replace it altogether (with a return shipping label for the warped album).

However, before they made that offer, they did ask whether one or both LPs were warped. I interpreted the question to suggest that they would consider sending a single replacement disc (instead of the whole package). But I never got to find out bc both LPs are warped.

They also may have more flexibility/options for you b/c of their relationship w/ Impex.

Has anyone received the lush life? How does that sound? I really love that album and regret not being quick enough to get it.

I don't know if I'd be willing to shell out that much for Eastern Sounds. Any ideas what the other upcoming titles are?
No clue what the next titles are or when they will be announced. Concord owns an insane amount of libraries of music so it could be anything and not just jazz.

I think the Lush Life sounds fantastic. $100 is probably the tops I’d pay for that particular album because it’s not known to be the best recording so only so much they can do with it. But it has the benefit of being supervinyl and there’s just no noise whatsoever in quiet sections. I’m definitely interested in this new one and curious to see what’s in store. I listened to my VMP version this AM and it sounds good but there’s some noise and a few pops which could just mean it needs a new cleaning and to be hit with the zero stat. There are other AAA pressings available for this one for $30 or under

Has anyone had to do any returns or exchanges with Elusive Disc? Side A on my copy of Midnight Sugar out of the Three Blind Mice boxset has a big ol scratch in it. I'm hoping I can just have them send me a replacement vinyl rather than having to return the whole thing...

They made me send a defective back. :-(.

(B4 they would send out new replacement)

Yeah I think the Iron Butterfly restock selling out immediately is good proof of this trend.
That was probably 100 copies of a title people thought was sold out. I’m guessing that would happen with nearly any sold out title these days. The guy at Toad Hall seemed to think that the MoFi website restock on some titles was as low as 20 copies in some cases

I wish MoFi would press some more contemporary artists, other than Weezer. Seems like there's a younger generation looking for high quality presses/mastering.
I think some of the inherent issues in that is the quality of the original recordings, licensing the recordings, and then MoFi's A&R. The 90s and 00s are the age of brickwalled recordings, so there is no real benefit to someone like MoFi producing a release. And then licensing from labels who'd rather push their own mediocre product, then get MoFi to do an audiophile version. I think the well may have dried up a bit on new licensing deals, which is why the only recent activity with MoFi is either Dylan releases or represses (excepting a few others).

We're a quarter into 2021 and the only new releases have been the Run DMC MoFi and the 2nd SRV one-step. Everything else has been replenishing old stock. In 2020, we got 3 Dylans, Johnny Cash, one Miles Davis, Vanilla Fudge, T. Rex, Twisted Sister, Iron Butterfly, Train, and the Mingus One Step. Not exactly setting the world on fire with broad selection. I think licensing is the biggest impediment, particularly with more places getting in the audiophile game.

I think some of the inherent issues in that is the quality of the original recordings, licensing the recordings, and then MoFi's A&R. The 90s and 00s are the age of brickwalled recordings, so there is no real benefit to someone like MoFi producing a release. And then licensing from labels who'd rather push their own mediocre product, then get MoFi to do an audiophile version. I think the well may have dried up a bit on new licensing deals, which is why the only recent activity with MoFi is either Dylan releases or represses (excepting a few others).

We're a quarter into 2021 and the only new releases have been the Run DMC MoFi and the 2nd SRV one-step. Everything else has been replenishing old stock. In 2020, we got 3 Dylans, Johnny Cash, one Miles Davis, Vanilla Fudge, T. Rex, Twisted Sister, Iron Butterfly, Train, and the Mingus One Step. Not exactly setting the world on fire with broad selection. I think licensing is the biggest impediment, particularly with more places getting in the audiophile game.
Yeah, you're probably right and I get that. It is just the same artists and titles regurgitated over and over again with MoFi. MoFi needs to make some strategic move, because the competition is growing, with AP standard releases and their UHQR, Craft one steps, Blue Note Tone Poets and Classics Series, and the other audiophile series from Acoustic Sounds. Speakers Corner as well. For me personally, I rarely look at the MoFi catalog, unless it's a Miles Davis record I don't already own. But everyone's tastes are quite different. Mine just don't align well with their current and backcatalog.

Also I bet we see some “newer” titles in terms of announcements at some point. The restocks coming now were ordered supposedly before the pandemic and are slowly getting drip fed as they come back from RTI. All the “new” stuff like Nilsson or the other announced titles keep getting delayed. I’d kill for a newer Beck title to get MoFi like Sea Change did, or some of the other titles they did in the 90s but probably not happening with licensing.

That was probably 100 copies of a title people thought was sold out. I’m guessing that would happen with nearly any sold out title these days. The guy at Toad Hall seemed to think that the MoFi website restock on some titles was as low as 20 copies in some cases
I mean even if it was 100 copies I think it still proves the point. Nobody would have dreamed of moving Iron Butterfly like that a few years ago.

I wish MoFi would press some more contemporary artists, other than Weezer. Seems like there's a younger generation looking for high quality presses/mastering.
Right, I don’t mind spending the money. I don’t care how awesome that Vanilla Fudge record sounds (no offense to all the Vanilla Fudge fans out there) I am not gonna buy it. I’d love if they would expand their horizons.

Back