Definitive Audiophile pressings

What about that issue with a skip in Walk of Life? Is that common or just a rare occurrence that was blown out of proportion on Hoffman?
There may have been a bad batch in the run but it seems a lot of people had a good copy. I'd say order from somewhere that may have a decent policy on returns if you're worried about it but hearing about how hard it may be to get MoFi in canada would make me concerned possibly about getting it.

There are also going to be yet another pressing of it (I believe a 33 half speed master) coming out soon. It seems like these Dire Straits albums keep getting repressed every few years.

The MoFi is also not limited, so if you're concerned about the skip, you could always wait for the next batch and hope it has been fixed by then.

There may have been a bad batch in the run but it seems a lot of people had a good copy. I'd say order from somewhere that may have a decent policy on returns if you're worried about it but hearing about how hard it may be to get MoFi in canada would make me concerned possibly about getting it.

There are also going to be yet another pressing of it (I believe a 33 half speed master) coming out soon. It seems like these Dire Straits albums keep getting repressed every few years.

The MoFi is also not limited, so if you're concerned about the skip, you could always wait for the next batch and hope it has been fixed by then.

I have a possibility to get a new one in Canada for C$64, which is a good price (all things considered). I'm pretty sure the return policy would be ok, I've never had to but they seem to be a pretty upstanding place.

Last edited:
This seems to be back-ordered at most of the usual places, but Plaid Room has it in stock for anyone looking to spend this kind of crazy money :)

This seems to be back-ordered at most of the usual places, but Plaid Room has it in stock for anyone looking to spend this kind of crazy money :)

Saw that too. I believe they will not be pressing anymore, so what's in stock is in stock and that's it on this title. I grabbed it for $85 from Sound of Vinyl sale but I doubt it will be on sale anywhere else.

At least it isn't another Radiohead OG... This time.
Since you brought it up...

what’s the best OK Computer?

I have:

And:

Neither is very good and far from an excellent pressing.

what’s the best I can get for under $100?

I have:

And:

I'll let the "Experts" chime in, but I have this pressing and it sounds great.

A lot of space in this thread is devoted to represses of audiophile quality, and of course that’s justified because there are a lot of those out there, and more coming all the time. But it sure is nice to find an album that gets it right the first time, so I want to shine a light on Adrianne Lenker’s Songs and Instrumentals. I picked this up recently and just have been listening to it for the first time. It’s 2 LP’s. Side 1 is comprised of Lenker’s voice, her acoustic guitar and some subtle nature sounds, with a number of instrumental and vocal overdubs. Side 2 is just voice and guitar (and subtle nature sounds) with no overdubs. Side 3 is just guitar, nature sounds and wind chimes. Side 4 begins with the same, but the guitar disappears and then it’s just the nature sounds and chimes. It’s a quiet acoustic album, and when you read about the rustic setting and somewhat antiquated approach to recording the sessions direct to tape in a cabin in some Massachussets backwoods, the audiophile quality of the recordings is very impressive. The vinyl is dead quiet and everything else is downright beautiful. The quality of the music itself is no real surprise given Lenker’s track record, but the breathtaking intimacy of it as captured here is really something special. If you’re a Big Thief and/or Lenker fan and you don’t have this album, grab it while you can.

I have:

And:

I have the blue OKNOTOK UK Pressing and it sounds pretty great to my ears.

Back