Definitive Audiophile pressings

A lot of space in this thread is devoted to represses of audiophile quality, and of course that’s justified because there are a lot of those out there, and more coming all the time. But it sure is nice to find an album that gets it right the first time, so I want to shine a light on Adrianne Lenker’s Songs and Instrumentals. I picked this up recently and just have been listening to it for the first time. It’s 2 LP’s. Side 1 is comprised of Lenker’s voice, her acoustic guitar and some subtle nature sounds, with a number of instrumental and vocal overdubs. Side 2 is just voice and guitar (and subtle nature sounds) with no overdubs. Side 3 is just guitar, nature sounds and wind chimes. Side 4 begins with the same, but the guitar disappears and then it’s just the nature sounds and chimes. It’s a quiet acoustic album, and when you read about the rustic setting and somewhat antiquated approach to recording the sessions direct to tape in a cabin in some Massachussets backwoods, the audiophile quality of the recordings is very impressive. The vinyl is dead quiet and everything else is downright beautiful. The quality of the music itself is no real surprise given Lenker’s track record, but the breathtaking intimacy of it as captured here is really something special. If you’re a Big Thief and/or Lenker fan and you don’t have this album, grab it while you can.
I was hoping nobody would bring this one up because I have heard that it sounds great but i'm on a vinyl diet... I might end up getting this one...

A lot of space in this thread is devoted to represses of audiophile quality, and of course that’s justified because there are a lot of those out there, and more coming all the time. But it sure is nice to find an album that gets it right the first time, so I want to shine a light on Adrianne Lenker’s Songs and Instrumentals. I picked this up recently and just have been listening to it for the first time. It’s 2 LP’s. Side 1 is comprised of Lenker’s voice, her acoustic guitar and some subtle nature sounds, with a number of instrumental and vocal overdubs. Side 2 is just voice and guitar (and subtle nature sounds) with no overdubs. Side 3 is just guitar, nature sounds and wind chimes. Side 4 begins with the same, but the guitar disappears and then it’s just the nature sounds and chimes. It’s a quiet acoustic album, and when you read about the rustic setting and somewhat antiquated approach to recording the sessions direct to tape in a cabin in some Massachussets backwoods, the audiophile quality of the recordings is very impressive. The vinyl is dead quiet and everything else is downright beautiful. The quality of the music itself is no real surprise given Lenker’s track record, but the breathtaking intimacy of it as captured here is really something special. If you’re a Big Thief and/or Lenker fan and you don’t have this album, grab it while you can.
Are you referencing a specific pressing? I gotta be honest, I started streaming this since your post went up and it's a beautiful album.

Are you referencing a specific pressing? I gotta be honest, I started streaming this since your post went up and it's a beautiful album.
Good question! It’s so new I hadn’t considered there might be more than one. Looking at Discogs, I see only one entry for an LP version (beyond a test pressing), so I think there’s only one pressing out there but can’t say for sure.

haha mine is mandated! we're in the process of buying a house so just about all other unnecessary spending has been cut out for now.
I'm usually pretty good at sticking to my diet when I impose it, which is why I was curious of the pressing, this should keep for a week ;)

I'm usually pretty good at sticking to my diet when I impose it, which is why I was curious of the pressing, this should keep for a week ;)
I have the high-res digital of it and it sounds beautiful so I can only imagine what a good pressing sounds like!

Since you brought it up...

what’s the best OK Computer?

I have:

And:

Neither is very good and far from an excellent pressing.

what’s the best I can get for under $100?
These ones should all be really great if you can find them for a decent price. I think they used the original stampers? I have the '08 one supposedly according to the listings even though I bought it new after 2013. But I guess it doesn't matter since deadwax info is all the same. Can't personally speak to if it would be worth an upgrade over your versions. Maybe @Joe Mac can.

Last edited:
I believe OTC is getting a repress. On the Mofi website the other day and sure that’s what it said.I have that and a first Japanese pressing and prefer the Japanese.
OTC is OOP I think...but could be wrong. It’s not on MD anymore and their site is better/more up to date. MoFi has it listed as awaiting repress but you can’t backorder it like you can with all their other backordered titles. Plus MD raised the price to $50 when they had more recently.

I believe OTC is getting a repress. On the Mofi website the other day and sure that’s what it said.I have that and a first Japanese pressing and prefer the Japanese.
Yeah I have an original US that’s fine too but the MoFi was $25 and I always meant to pick it up to compare. Music Direct “found” some a little while ago but jacked up the price to $50 I think.

Highly recommended, and only $20:
It looks like this 2020 reissue uses the KPG@ATM cut and was pressed by RTI.
So I would expect it sounds as good as the 2007 reissue, which is the best I have ever heard this epic album sound.

Back