Definitive Audiophile pressings

another thing to keep an eye on--lots of people are selling their APs with the AP Evans box being repressed soon (if you don't mind 45RPM) still pricey but have seen quite a few for under $100.
Can't remember the story. How did AP get the Waltz tapes?

Can't remember the story. How did AP get tapes?
They had a relationship in the 90s with whoever had the tapes back then (don't think it was Concord at the time?) Chad and TML/Doug Sax cut a bunch of 33s of Evans stuff (i have the Waltz for Debby and it's incredible). Then in the early 2000s they got the rights to do a 45 series of Evans titles. They did a bunch of single album releases at 45 cut by Hoffman and KG. They all got put into a box set as well:

Labels just weren't as stingy with letting tapes out at the time and KG had a good rep even back then.

The box has been repressed a few times at different plants using the same plates. being repressed again soon but Chad jacked the price up to $900 (was $600 last time).

They had a relationship in the 90s with whoever had the tapes back then (don't think it was Concord at the time?) Chad and TML/Doug Sax cut a bunch of 33s of Evans stuff (i have the Waltz for Debby and it's incredible). Then in the early 2000s they got the rights to do a 45 series of Evans titles. They did a bunch of single album releases at 45 cut by Hoffman and KG. They all got put into a box set as well:

Labels just weren't as stingy with letting tapes out at the time and KG had a good rep even back then.

The box has been repressed a few times at different plants using the same plates. being repressed again soon but Chad jacked the price up to $900 (was $600 last time).
I've seen the box. $$$$ that's why I'm doing a poor man's version

When did Waltz tapes become NLA or unusable?

My wife bought a shelf online. It came with these (as she put it) "Mickey Mouse gloves" so you dont slice your fingers open when putting together the metal shelf frame.

Shelf is now built. Turntable is on. Time to flip some audiophile grails. ;) Now if I could simply find my copy of Aja and a zerostat. Pew pew pew.

View attachment 150263
There's a theme song here.

I'm a good ol' boy
My mama loves me
But she don't understand
They keep showing my hands
And not my face on TV

This repress is taking forever. Chad said May 2022. It's now September.

I've seen the box. $$$$ that's why I'm doing a poor man's version

When did Waltz tapes become NLA or unusable?
Not entirely sure when tapes became unusable but supposedly MoFi wanted to do it as a one step and couldn’t because the tapes weren’t in good enough shape. But who knows—maybe there’s a safety tape or something out there someone can use. Or it could all be unsubstantiated and the rumor has taken on a life of its own. But the lack of an AAA reissue of such a popular title makes it seem like it’s true…

This seems to happen somewhat frequently. Charlie Brown Christmas tapes are apparently shot but they did a high res digital transfer the last time it was cut AAA by AP. Some of the KG cut Van Morrison’s were also AAA then be recut with digital since the tapes had issues.

Not entirely sure when tapes became unusable but supposedly MoFi wanted to do it as a one step and couldn’t because the tapes weren’t in good enough shape. But who knows—maybe there’s a safety tape or something out there someone can use. Or it could all be unsubstantiated and the rumor has taken on a life of its own. But the lack of an AAA reissue of such a popular title makes it seem like it’s true…

This seems to happen somewhat frequently. Charlie Brown Christmas tapes are apparently shot but they did a high res digital transfer the last time it was cut AAA by AP. Some of the KG cut Van Morrison’s were also AAA then be recut with digital since the tapes had issues.
Yeah just seems odd the tapes were ok in the 80s for OJC and 90's for AP when Sax cut it. Then, now they are NLA...
So for the box, they are still using the metal Sax cut?

Yeah just seems odd the tapes were ok in the 80s for OJC and 90's for AP when Sax cut it. Then, now they are NLA...
So for the box, they are still using the metal Sax cut?
I believe the box uses the KG/Hoffman plates from the early 2000s which were AAA but supposedly the last time they have been used for Waltz. Not all that surprised. Chad didn't get the KoB tapes for the UHQR--they used old Classic plates for it. Hell, most of Chad's stuff is from old plates nowadays. He used to have people cut 33 and 45 even when he only had licenses to release one format back in the day.

Just because an album had tapes that were in great shape in the 80s doesn't mean they don't deteriorate.

I believe the box uses the KG/Hoffman plates from the early 2000s which were AAA but supposedly the last time they have been used for Waltz. Not all that surprised. Chad didn't get the KoB tapes for the UHQR--they used old Classic plates for it. Hell, most of Chad's stuff is from old plates nowadays. He used to have people cut 33 and 45 even when he only had licenses to release one format back in the day.

Just because an album had tapes that were in great shape in the 80s doesn't mean they don't deteriorate.
I need to listen again but I thought BG said on YT last Saturday the KOB tapes were in fantastic shape, meaning he might have recently cut it. I am not sure they used the old plates. Will be good to see the runout numbers when they start popping up. Probably will be a the tell tell sign.

If KG cut from tape on the Waltz, then there is a possibility the tapes are still good. AP has cut two different times.

BTW- Where did you see the craft 1Step comment yesterday?

I need to listen again but I thought BG said on YT last Saturday the KOB tapes were in fantastic shape, meaning he might have recently cut it. I am not sure they used the old plates. Will be good to see the runout numbers when they start popping up. Probably will be a the tell tell sign.

If KG cut from tape on the Waltz, then there is a possibility the tapes are still good. AP has cut two different times.

BTW- Where did you see the craft 1Step comment yesterday?
it could also be that the labels are being vague and obtuse and don't want to let tapes out again.

The UHQR45 was from the Classic Records 45 plates. If Bernie said that, it's probably from his recollection of the tapes at the time. Not saying the tapes are in bad shape for that one, but I'd be pretty surprised if they let it out again.

Craft posted a contest yesterday on instagram to win all three one steps. They wrote the comment about the next title in that. They also posted about it on a vinyl subreddit I'm a mod for and confirmed in the comments there that another one step announcement is coming up very soon.

What was the idea behind making them one-sided?
At the time, there were hardly any retailers, including Amazon, selling vinyl. These were sold mostly in high end audio stores, as demonstration discs, and by the online big boxes to well heeled audiophiles with extreme high end systems. There was no wider fetish for such things at the time, reflected in the fact that there was always a corresponding 33rpm issue that was pressed in much higher numbers and had wider distribution.

My wife bought a shelf online. It came with these (as she put it) "Mickey Mouse gloves" so you dont slice your fingers open when putting together the metal shelf frame.

Shelf is now built. Turntable is on. Time to flip some audiophile grails. ;) Now if I could simply find my copy of Aja and a zerostat. Pew pew pew.

View attachment 150263
Please tell me this was the first album you grabbed and spun…

I'm spinning the new Run Out Groove version of Superfly and I need to shout it from the rooftops - it sounds AMAZING. I was on the fence on whether an upgrade from my older Rhino pressing was needed but sure am glad that I did.

View attachment 150353

View attachment 150354

View attachment 150355

Jealous! I’m getting impatient! Mine seems to have been stuck in a UPS depot in California for over a week now! It better get on that goddamn plane…

Back